sorry, DOS attack

Introduce yourself, discover who else is here, and get news and information about the forum. Most of all, tell us what Chile means for you.

Moderator: eeuunikkeiexpat

admin
Site Admin

sorry, DOS attack

Post by admin » Sun Nov 18, 2018 8:16 am

sorry about that, a little Sunday morning dos attack out of Russia that sucked our bandwidth dry.

On the bright side, server managed to hold up under it until it hit the bandwidth limit.

Wonder what Putin is up to.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

Space Cat

Re: sorry, DOS attack

Post by Space Cat » Sun Nov 18, 2018 12:27 pm

Maybe they didn’t like my old comments about the shitty state of Russian economy and military. 🤭

HybridAmbassador

Post by HybridAmbassador » Sun Nov 18, 2018 2:33 pm

Space Cat wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 12:27 pm
Maybe they didn’t like my old comments about the shitty state of Russian economy and military. 🤭
I heard there are Russian killers in Valdivia with concealed Novichok agent after some outspoken person, brr Me da miedo...
HybridAmbassador. Toyota Hybrid system for helping climate change.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Sun Nov 18, 2018 6:54 pm

well it was techincaly out of ukrain, but had more of a russian accent to it.

kind of hurt my feelings. i thought we were on good terms with russia.

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

at46

Post by at46 » Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:43 pm

Russia bad. Also Ukraine.

Well, you may have just facilitated someone's promotion at Britain's 77th information warfare brigade :)

https://www.wired.co.uk/article/inside- ... e-military

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:11 pm

yea i dont think anything too nefarious was going on, but i have not had time to do a proper post-mortem on the incident.

my first pass look around the server logs looks like a badly configured bot. it just repeatedly kept scrapping the site, using almost twice our normal monthly bandwidth in like 3 days, but not sufficently fast to trigger any other security messures except for the bandwith limiter.

i purposly only alocate twice the monthly average to our public sites to stop exactly these sorts of attacks from taking down the entire server. just sufficent to handle a legit spike in traffic, untill i have time to allocate more. say like after the 2010 earthquake or some other national emergency. basicaly 3 days of full throtal usage without me needing to do anything. about the time it took me to get connected again after the earthquake.

mem

Post by mem » Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:23 pm

admin wrote:
Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:11 pm
yea i dont think anything too nefarious was going on, but i have not had time to do a proper post-mortem on the incident.

my first pass look around the server logs looks like a badly configured bot. it just repeatedly kept scrapping the site, using almost twice our normal monthly bandwidth in like 3 days, but not sufficently fast to trigger any other security messures except for the bandwith limiter.

i purposly only alocate twice the monthly average to our public sites to stop exactly these sorts of attacks from taking down the entire server. just sufficent to handle a legit spike in traffic, untill i have time to allocate more. say like after the 2010 earthquake or some other national emergency. basicaly 3 days of full throtal usage without me needing to do anything. about the time it took me to get connected again after the earthquake.
My wife has been complaining about DOS attacks. Says she can't get anything done, because of all the crap that her husband and children fling at her. i am not sure if it is legit, may be stepford subterfuge. Ack, I couldn't resist! Forgivez me ; )

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:02 am

Well, in fairness to the Russians, I had to ban some Chinese address blocks too. There is no good legit reason for a bot to be hitting our server, all day long, every day.