Beds in Chile (Kings, Super Kings)

General topics related to Living in Chile
mem

Beds in Chile (Kings, Super Kings)

Post by mem » Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:34 pm

So we are in the market for a King bed. My wife is a bit of a wonk when it comes to beds. We had this crazy expensive king bed in the US with a mile of memory foam, a few unobtainium layers...some sort of high end tempurpedic. Personally, I am happy with almost any kind of bed, but not so with mi esposa

After staying in a few different hotels that purported to have "queen" beds, my wife has been consistently disappointed in the size of the "queens" on offer in hotels in Chile....calling them little more than twins.

In looking at a new bed for us to buy, she sees the sizes here don't correspond to the US King or US Cali King. The largest she has been able to find on sites like Falabella are 200cmx200cm.

What I am struggling with is knowing which ones are the "good" ones let alone which type of a certain brand.

My wife is focused on either a CIC or a Rosen Super King. I have no idea about these brands and it seems like on the sites there are dozens of different variations that span the cost gamut from under 500 thousand to almost 2 million. (just the base/boxspring and mattress)

Does anyone have experience procuring Super Kings in Chile...particularly if you have a spouse that is super finicky about beds?

Any recommendations on brands and models?

admin
Site Admin

Re: Beds in Chile (Kings, Super Kings)

Post by admin » Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:21 am

think we bought our super king through falabela.

use to be hard to find king to super king size sheets.

yea a lot of beds are realy queen, but called kings in hotels. not all. have seen some realy big ones, but you are normaly paying a lot more for the hotel if it is.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:27 am

yea a lot of beds are realy queen, but called kings in hotels. not all. have seen some realy big ones, but you are normaly paying a lot more for the hotel if it is.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

mem

Post by mem » Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:20 am

admin wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:27 am

That is a good point on the sheets, I think there are some options that include pillows and/or sheets and/or headboard, side tables, etc. Maybe should opt for the one with sheets to at least guarantee one complete set

Yes, looking at falabella online and also CIC's direct website and there are Rosen stores in the malls we have visited.

Do you remember the brand of your super king. Are you pretty happy with it? (Never a sore back, etc?)

Gloria

Post by Gloria » Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:44 am

mem wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:34 pm
My wife is a bit of a wonk when it comes to beds. We had this crazy expensive king bed in the US with a mile of memory foam, a few unobtainium layers...some sort of high end tempurpedic. Personally, I am happy with almost any kind of bed, but not so with mi esposa
........ my wife has been consistently disappointed in the size of the "queens" on offer in hotels in Chile....calling them little more than twins.

......., she sees the sizes here don't correspond to the US King or US Cali King. The largest she has been able to find on sites like Falabella are 200cmx200cm.

My wife is focused on either a CIC or a Rosen Super King. I have no idea about these brands and it seems like on the sites there are dozens of different variations that span the cost gamut from under 500 thousand to almost 2 million. (just the base/boxspring and mattress)

..particularly if you have a spouse that is super finicky about beds?

It reminds me of this ........

" The story tells of a prince who wants to marry a princess, but is having difficulty finding a suitable wife. Something is always wrong with those he meets, and he cannot be certain they are real princesses because they have bad table manners or they are too fat or thin or not beautiful. One stormy night a young woman drenched with rain seeks shelter in the prince's castle. She claims to be a princess, so the prince's mother decides to test their unexpected, unwitting guest by placing a pea in the bed she is offered for the night, covered by 20 mattresses and 20 feather-beds. In the morning, the guest tells her hosts that she endured a sleepless night, kept awake by something hard in the bed that she is certain has bruised her. The prince rejoices. Only a real princess would have the sensitivity to feel a pea through such a quantity of bedding, so the two are married ". So.....you brought to Chile a princess? Do the "pea" test for verification.. nothing will satisfy her...
strawbed.jpg
strawbed.jpg (30.11 KiB) Viewed 523 times
I'm from the generation of common sense, wisdom and unfiltered answers. I sayeth as I seeth.

mem

Post by mem » Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:49 pm

Gloria wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:44 am
mem wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:34 pm
My wife is a bit of a wonk when it comes to beds. We had this crazy expensive king bed in the US with a mile of memory foam, a few unobtainium layers...some sort of high end tempurpedic. Personally, I am happy with almost any kind of bed, but not so with mi esposa
........ my wife has been consistently disappointed in the size of the "queens" on offer in hotels in Chile....calling them little more than twins.

......., she sees the sizes here don't correspond to the US King or US Cali King. The largest she has been able to find on sites like Falabella are 200cmx200cm.

..particularly if you have a spouse that is super finicky about beds?

It reminds me of this ........

" The story tells of a prince who wants to marry a princess, but is having difficulty finding a suitable wife. Something is always wrong with those he meets, and he cannot be certain they are real princesses because they have bad table manners or they are too fat or thin or not beautiful. One stormy night a young woman drenched with rain seeks shelter in the prince's castle. She claims to be a princess, so the prince's mother decides to test their unexpected, unwitting guest by placing a pea in the bed she is offered for the night, covered by 20 mattresses and 20 feather-beds. In the morning, the guest tells her hosts that she endured a sleepless night, kept awake by something hard in the bed that she is certain has bruised her. The prince rejoices. Only a real princess would have the sensitivity to feel a pea through such a quantity of bedding, so the two are married ". So.....you brought to Chile a princess? Do the "pea" test for verification.. nothing will satisfy her...

strawbed.jpg
Nah, she just cares about the bed she spends a third of every day of her life in. She also has fibromyalgia. I think most of us have something we geek out/go perfectionist over. For me it's networking/computers/servers/storage...card carrying member of over-engineers anonymous.
For her it is beds

I am just trying to make a somewhat informed decision based on reviews of those familiar with serious beds in the US versus here in Chile since I dont recognize any brands here. I'd rather spend more on a high quality bed that will last 3x as long and yield better rest than a cheaper bed that will start to sag and make us wake up with sore lower backs. There is just no way to know before the bed is bought, and returning a bed once it is delivered out into the country would be a nightmare I would like to avoid.
So trying to get this right the first time...hoping others here can give some helpful advice

Now my toddler daughters...yes they are definiatley princesses and nothing will satisfy them...for long lol

Gloria

Post by Gloria » Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:24 pm

Your best bet would be going to Falabella, Almacenes Paris (Temuco), CIC and Rosen. Those are the best (using the word with caution) when it comes to bedding. You must try the mattresses one by one by laying on them. I know that CIC and Rosen are the oldest in Chile and usually have good products. YOUR BIG OBSTACLE would be finding sheets of the right size, good quality and durability which is super important. The princesses you are raising now will be somebody else´s problem when they grow up. :D
I'm from the generation of common sense, wisdom and unfiltered answers. I sayeth as I seeth.

lmkwia

Post by lmkwia » Fri Nov 09, 2018 5:28 pm

I bought a super king bed from Flex as it has the hardest surface among Flex, CIC and Rosen (they seem to be widely available in Chile). It was not difficult to buy bed sheets and protective covers for Super King. I saw several options in Falabella, Ripley, Paris, Rosen etc.

Go to a shop and choose your bed and make on-line search for the best price. All retailers have similar options with slightly different prices. I think I bought mine from Paris after checking out Falabella, Flex, and Ripley for the same product.

at46

Post by at46 » Fri Nov 09, 2018 5:59 pm

I´ve had a Flex from Paris also for four years now, and bought it for the same reason - it´s not too soft. It sagged some after a couple of years - it is double-sided, so a year per side - but not to the point of becoming unusable. I just keep flipping it every two or three months. I can always find some sheets that fit, no big deal - I like Canon, or Paris-Ripley when they have discounts on.

Donnybrook

Post by Donnybrook » Fri Nov 09, 2018 6:45 pm

At Rosen in Alto Las Condes I lay down on and tried several beds. They encourage you to do that. I have had the one I chose 5 years and it is still fine. Rosen sheets are expensive but they should have sheets to match any bed they sell.

mem

Post by mem » Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:53 am

Thanks all. Really appreciate the advice. I did not know CIC and Rosen had been around longer than the others, that is interesting

I am now rethinking if we should just do it online or actually go into a store. I am just a little concerned about laying on the mattress in the store for a few minutes to judge it. I have had experience with a few beds where they feel totally fine, but if I sleep in the bed for more than 8 hours (like when sick) I end up with a sore back..again only after a longer than usual sleep.

At any rate as long as the esposa is on board with a purchase I can absorb any hassles on my side lol

Thanks again