Guide to validating education for a driving license

Anything related to legal issues, immigration, problems, regulations, tax issues, or any other law or legal related problem in Chile. Moderated By A Chilean Attorney.

Moderator: Zvalenzuela

Space Cat

Guide to validating education for a driving license

Post by Space Cat » Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:42 pm

To get a Chilean driving license as a foreigner, you have to:
  1. Pass a theoretical exam (English or Spanish).
  2. Pass a medical exam (vision and reaction times).
  3. Pass a driving exam (Spanish unless you're lucky to meet a municipality examiner who speaks English).
  4. Proof that you have at least eight years of education (i.e. finished middle school).
See the guide by Britkid for the first three.

Now, there are three kinds of municipalities:
  • Easy: they will accept your foreign driving license as a proof.
  • Normal: they will accept any apostilled diploma as a proof.
  • Hard: they will require specifically your apostilled school diploma and will reject a university one.
So before doing anything expensive, ask the director of the driving department of your municipality. Not a receptionist, they can tell you whatever but they are not in charge of making any decisions.

If you:
  • Don't have a foreign license.
  • Or hadn't apostilled your diploma before arrival.
  • Or live in a "hard" commune.
...then instead of spending time and money on getting an apostille from your home country, you can confirm your education level by passing "Examen de equivalencia de estudios para fines laborales" organized by the Ministry of Education (MINEDUC).

MINEDUC runs this exam four times a year (April, June, August, October) and you have to enroll in advance (March, April-May, June-July, August-September). See the exact dates at the page linked above.

For enrolling, you need to visit your local office of MINEDUC with a valid Chilean ID and just ask to register you (say something about "examinación básica laboral" and "licencia de conducir"). It's free and usually, there are multiple schools that run this test, so you can choose one closer to where you live. You will also need to visit the school itself 7-10 days before the exam's date range, so they can tell you the exact day and time.

On the day of the exam, you have to bring:
  • a pencil (not a pen)
  • an eraser
  • a calculator (you can't use your phone)
  • a paper dictionary if you aren't fluent yet
The results will be ready in a week but it takes up to two months of waiting for the official certificate from MINEDUC. Still, most of municipalities should accept the document with the results.

Space Cat

Re: Guide to validating education for a driving license

Post by Space Cat » Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:43 pm

What to study

See the following on the MINEDUC's page (I'm not giving a direct link because they change them every year):
  • "EQUIVALENCIA PARA FINES LABORALES -> Tercer nivel Educación Básica -> Básica Laboral" for a short overview.
  • "Orientaciones: proceso de evaluación y certificación de estudios Educación Básica" for the specific tasks for all subjects (many of these questions ARE in the real tests, without any change).
Overall, the tests aren't hard if you speak Spanish on A2 level or above (like reading news or replying to an email in simple sentences). The hardest part for a foreigner would be actually learning Chilean history because at least one question will be related to it and it's often an open question.

Language

Nothing to do here except for actually reading Spanish more. You will have to answer three close-ended questions about some text, like the one below. For example, what was the main message of the text: the relationship of the couple, the strength of the guy, or his feat?

rapa-nui.png

Math

Math takes almost half the test but it's quite easy: fractions, proportions, perimeter and area calculations.

Basically, you have to remember:
  • Area of a triangle: (b × h) / 2
  • Area of a circle: π × r^2
  • Volume of a cylinder: π × r^2 × h
  • Circumference of a circle: π × r × 2
Also check what's the difference between media, moda y mediana.

An example of an open question (you'll need to write down your calculations): a doctor prescribed to take 4.5ml of medicine for 2 months. Each bottle contains 80ml of medicine. How many bottles do you need for two months?

Natural sciences

While it's a broad subject, the possible questions are really limited to:
  • Nutrition, being aware of calories, proteins-fats-carbohydrates, check the overall laws.
  • Reproduction system of males and females.
  • Being able to differentiate between "sustancias naturales" and "sustancias sintéticas".
  • Three states of matter, transitions between them.
  • Energy: sources, uses, types, transformations.
For example, read the following texts and say what's common between these foods:
  1. Son dañinos para la salud.
  2. Se consumen solo en verano.
  3. Deben tener una adecuada refrigeración.
  4. Pertenecen al mismo grupo alimenticio.
food.png

Another example of a closed-question: a lady left her wet towel on a beach, the towel got dry. How's this process called? I bet you can answer this one but here's a helpful chart:

500px-Estados.svg.png
500px-Estados.svg.png (59.16 KiB) Viewed 543 times

Space Cat

Post by Space Cat » Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:43 pm

Social Sciences

Beyond the history part, this one is also super easy:
  • Identify democracy when asked about some of its properties (the other options are monarchies and dictatorships, so it would be hard to make a mistake).
  • Understand what Chile is made of: administrative regions, climate zones, natural resources.
  • Be able to show Chile and its regions on the map (yes, literally).
You can prepare for all this by browsing http://www.icarito.cl for a couple of hours. There are also materials for math and natural sciences.

Now, the history. You should more or less know the causes and effects of:
  • Conquista
  • Independencia
  • Pacific War
  • The crisis of 1929
  • The structural reforms of the 20th century
  • 1973, of course
  • Return to the democracy
I'll just leave my cheatsheet here. Mind that you don't need to remember the exact dates but be able to place events on a timeline with 30-50 year ranges. So knowing the years of the independence, the Pacific War, and understanding the 1929-1973 period would be really helpful.

1536-1772 – Guerra de Arauco

1540 – Pedro de Valdivia inició la Conquista
1541 – Fundación de Santiago
1553 – La batalla de Tucapel, muerte de Pedro de Valdivia

1810-1814 – Patria Vieja, la Primera Junta (18 sep)
1814 – Batalla de Rancagua, la Reconquista

1817, 12 feb – Batalla de Chacabuco
1817-1823 – Patria Nueva
1818, 5 abr – Batalla de Maipú

1829-1830 – Guerra Civil #1 (pipiolos vs. pelucones)
1831-1861 – República Conservadora

1851, 1859 – Revoluciones contra M. Montt
1861-1891 – República Liberal

1879-1884 – Guerra del Pacífico

1891 – Guerra Civil #2 (contra Balmaceda)
1891-1925 – República Parlamentaria

1925 – La nueva constitución de A. Alessandri
1925-1973 – República Presidencial

1929 – La Gran Depresión, -50% PIB del país
1932-1938 – 2º período de A. Alessandri, primeras reformas

1938-1952 – Gobiernos Radicales (P. Cerda, J. Ríos, G. Videla), el Estado Benefactor

1958-1973 – Las Reformas Estructurales de J. Alessandri, E. Frei, S. Allende: agraria, sociales, educación, salud; industrialización, nacionalización de cobre

1973, 11 sep – El golpe de estado
1973-1990Junta de Gobierno de Chile: 3k personas muertas, 30k torturadas, Operación Condor, Chicago Boys, nueva constitución, privatizaciones

1988, 5 oct – Plebiscito nacional
1989 – Elecciones de presidente, P. Aylwin, transición a la democracia: investigaciones del ejército, reducción de pobreza, apertura comercial

1990-2010 – Gobiernos de Concentración (E. Frei Ruiz-Tagle, R. Lagos, M. Bachelet)

Jamers41

Post by Jamers41 » Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:23 pm

Dang, this is pretty complete. I already have my Chilean driving license, but if I didn't and was looking to obtain one, I think I'd be baking you a "queque" right now :D

I guess by your definition, Puente Alto is a "normal" municipality.