Waiting for permanencia response - updates?

Anything related to legal issues, immigration, problems, regulations, tax issues, or any other law or legal related problem in Chile. Moderated By A Chilean Attorney.

Moderator: Zvalenzuela

copodenieve

Waiting for permanencia response - updates?

Post by copodenieve » Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:55 pm

Hi all,

In November 2017 I received a 1-year visa (temporaria) and on Sept. 14 of this year I mailed in my submittal for permanencia. Reviewing posts here, I see that it is not surprising that I have as yet had no response to my submittal.

The 1-year visa expires Nov 2, and I had considered going to Mendoza for a couple of days, returning with a shiny new 90-day tourist visa. Thanks to the info in this forum, I no longer plan on that. However, the info I found was a few years old. Does it still hold?

Last week I went to extranjería here in Rancagua and was told to return the following day to request a prorroga. I did so but was then told there is no prorroga in this situation (this seems aligned with what I have read here). Instead, I was told I should return two days before it expires--to see where things stand.

Is it still general consensus that all will be OK if my 1-year visa expires while I am in the process of obtaining my permanencia? I am inclined to check in ahead of time with PDI.

In the 1960s we lived for 3 years in Santiago (my first two years of school were there). My parents returned after retirement and spent approximately the last 25 years of their lives here in Rancagua (no Chilean citizenship but with permanencia). When I started my process last October my father had passed but my mother was still alive. She passed this May, and in addition to losing my mom this has complicated my process. I had planned on filing for permanencia as the daughter of a foreign citizen with permanencia.

That is no longer possible. The last 4 years or so, I have spent slightly more time in Chile than in the U.S., helping my parents. I now don't quite fit into any of the categories for permanencia. Mom and Dad owned both halves of a duplex, and I am the only surviving child. Both halves are rented, but the contracts are in my mother's name -- however I have/had a poder amplio to administer all Mom's business affairs. The rents are being deposited into a savings account in my name with BancoEstado. With my 1-year visa I have a RUT.

I have not been able to start on posesión efectiva (inheritance) because Mom and Dad's marriage was never registered with registro civil. I started that process last October but it was rejected due to a problem with their original marriage certificate, in spite of the attached apostille. (Mom's maiden name was accidentally left off the original in 1953, though it is clearly legible in her signature). Also, in spite of the mandato general which I submitted, it was also rejected because I did not have a poder specifically stating I could register the marriage.

The jefa at the Rancagua registro civil wrote an explanation as to the mandato general vs. specific poder and problem with the original marriage certificate -- explaining that both parties are now deceased, and resubmitted it to Santiago. This was one month ago, and as of yesterday we have no response.

So....(sorry this is so long)...I am hoping to receive my permanencia but expect my 1-year residencia to expire first. Do I need to take action or is the advice from years past still appropriate? Does it seem reasonable that I would be granted permanencia as a rentista with approximately $700.000 monthly rental income, deposited in my account but for houses still in my parents' names, due to the hitch in registering their marriage -- which must be done before I can start the process of posesión efectiva?

Fortunately, my Spanish is very good -- but the laws and processes are different. I've tried calling both phone numbers I have for extranjería in Santiago, but I only get a quick boop boop boop and the call fails. Thanks un millón for any advice!

Gloria

Re: Waiting for permanencia response - updates?

Post by Gloria » Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:35 pm

Watch your PM.
I'm from the generation of common sense, wisdom and unfiltered answers. I sayeth as I seeth.

Jamers41

Post by Jamers41 » Thu Oct 18, 2018 5:55 pm

Back in 2012, when I had a temporary visa that was expiring and applied for permanent residency, I let the 1 year visa expire and had to walk around with and occasionally present the letter I received that acknowledge that my long term residency was "in tramite." While it is an annoyance, generally if you have a pending application, you are OK. If I remember correctly it took like 3 months to receive permanencia definitiva. It's probably a bit longer now, but the important thing (my personal opinion only) is that you first receive the letter that recognizes that your application is currently pending, and you didn't just let your visa expire out of laziness. If there's any major "tramite" that you need to do with current, valid carnet, I would also try to get it done before it expires (I assume it expires when you temporary visa does)........there will be a period of a couple months or so where it will be more complicated to get stuff done with the combination of an expired carnet + extranjeria's letter.

copodenieve

Post by copodenieve » Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:54 pm

An update: I went to the post office to verify that my solicitation for permanencia was delivered. Check. Next I went to the PDI to ask what course of action would be best. The woman I spoke with said my plan to go to Mendoza was good. She stressed that I must use my passport to exit Chile, and not my carnet (which I never would have considered). My one-year visa will expire and I will return the following day, receiving a new 90-day tourist visa. She says this will not interfere with my solicitation for permanent residency. I know many people have allowed their visa to expire and then gotten it worked out, but I still go back and forth between Chile and the US and need to return to the US for some work obligations, which I think changes my situation a bit. I also realize another agent may have given me different advice. Hope this is helpful.

GAminer

Post by GAminer » Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:01 am

You do not have to leave, your receipt from correos chile is a valid document for proving your visa application is in tramite until the letter from the extranjería stating so arrives.
From my understanding its about 3 months right now.
copodenieve wrote:
Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:54 pm
An update: I went to the post office to verify that my solicitation for permanencia was delivered. Check. Next I went to the PDI to ask what course of action would be best. The woman I spoke with said my plan to go to Mendoza was good. She stressed that I must use my passport to exit Chile, and not my carnet (which I never would have considered). My one-year visa will expire and I will return the following day, receiving a new 90-day tourist visa. She says this will not interfere with my solicitation for permanent residency. I know many people have allowed their visa to expire and then gotten it worked out, but I still go back and forth between Chile and the US and need to return to the US for some work obligations, which I think changes my situation a bit. I also realize another agent may have given me different advice. Hope this is helpful.

nwdiver

Post by nwdiver » Mon Oct 22, 2018 3:20 pm

copodenieve wrote:
Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:54 pm
Be very careful, don't pile a tourist visa into the mix, or they will be watching for you to leave in 90 days, when you don't you have other problems.......
It's all about the wine.

eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:48 pm

As long as I've been here and followed these discussions GAminer is correct and nwdiver is also correct in not making life more complicated than need be or possibly getting into a situation that will require perhaps the owner of this forum to help$$ untangle.
Generally, just a SPAM KILLER. You are on your own in this forum. My personal mission here is done.

BUT when necessary, by way of ridicule and truth revelation we shalt do war.

--eeuunikkeiexpat

Eric

Post by Eric » Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:16 pm

You can check the status of your solicitud on the extranjería website using your mailing confirmation code.

I'm in the same situation. My temporary visa expired and they haven't sent a confirmation letter yet. I'm not worried about it because I mailed the solicitud before my visa expired.

Don't believe everything PDI tells you. They don't always know what they are talking about and will make stuff up. I've had personal experience...

nwdiver

Post by nwdiver » Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:39 pm

The nice agent told you what you wanted to hear, if you never mentioned going to Argieland the agent would not have said " good idea, go to Argieland" many miscommunications are not lies but just telling someone what they want to hear........
It's all about the wine.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:04 am

o.k., I had been avoiding this one due to the fact it has been answered repeatedly for years on the forum; but, what the hell.

Once you file for permanent residency, even if it takes a long time for immigration department to process your permanent residency, you are legally in the country.

Your last residency status (temporary residency), remains valid until your permanent residency is either rejected or approved by the department of immigration.

You can leave the country, if you want, but not needed. However, DO NOT try and get a tourist visa at the boarder. You will make a major mess out of your immigration status. You would be essentially abandoning your permanent residency application, forcing you to start all over again with temp residency, etc. Hopefully, the PDI at the boarder, has the good sense to check the computer, and stop foreigners from making such a mistake; but, no guarantees they will do that.

Your existing temporary residency + your proof of filing you permanent residency application, is all you need to enter and leave the country. However, again, leaving is not required.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

chesswolf

Post by chesswolf » Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:44 am

So I logged on to post my question and it goes hand in hand with this one. I applied for my definitiva in February. In April I received the letter with instructions for paying. I also paid in April. I am still waiting for the application to be processed and either rejected or hopefully approved. The initial letter they gave me about my papers being "en tramite" gave me a legal status for 4 or 6 months (I forget) and then it was automatically updated on the website for a total of 8 months. Well, February plus 8 months means that vigencia has just expired.

What should I do now? I tried calling the extranjeria number but it won't even ring during business hours because I'm assuming it's flooded.

at46

Post by at46 » Wed Oct 24, 2018 12:45 pm

chesswolf wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:44 am
So I logged on to post my question and it goes hand in hand with this one. I applied for my definitiva in February. In April I received the letter with instructions for paying. I also paid in April. I am still waiting for the application to be processed and either rejected or hopefully approved. The initial letter they gave me about my papers being "en tramite" gave me a legal status for 4 or 6 months (I forget) and then it was automatically updated on the website for a total of 8 months. Well, February plus 8 months means that vigencia has just expired.

What should I do now? I tried calling the extranjeria number but it won't even ring during business hours because I'm assuming it's flooded.
You should make an appointment with extranjeria to extend your vigencia for another 6 months https://reservahora.extranjeria.gob.cl/inicio.action