New requirement for a "residence certificate" for temporary residency?

Anything related to legal issues, immigration, problems, regulations, tax issues, or any other law or legal related problem in Chile. Moderated By A Chilean Attorney.

Moderator: Zvalenzuela

mem

New requirement for a "residence certificate" for temporary residency?

Post by mem » Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:34 pm

My family are renewing our temporary residency, and we were told at the immigration office that we now (as of a few weeks ago) need to obtain a "residence certificate" to be able to renew the temporary residency

Has anyone heard of this or encountered it? I am not even sure were to go to get this or what I would need to show whoever in order to get it.

I am just wondering if this is a wild goose chase to make us go away and come back another day or if it is a legit new thing

at46

Re: New requirement for a "residence certificate" for temporary residency?

Post by at46 » Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:34 am

mem wrote:
Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:34 pm
My family are renewing our temporary residency, and we were told at the immigration office that we now (as of a few weeks ago) need to obtain a "residence certificate" to be able to renew the temporary residency

Has anyone heard of this or encountered it? I am not even sure were to go to get this or what I would need to show whoever in order to get it.

I am just wondering if this is a wild goose chase to make us go away and come back another day or if it is a legit new thing
I suspect it's the document issued by the PDI showing your travel dates outside of the country, which is to make sure you've complied with the minimum in-country time requirement.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:00 pm

yea that is a very old requirment.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

mem

Post by mem » Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:39 am

Apparently this is not the PDI document, it seems I am supposed to go to my comuna "Junto de vecinos" and show a utility bill or rental contract and then I guess I get this certificate. I didn't have to do this for my previous temp residency.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:45 am

yea, someone is not understanding something.

the junta de vicinos, is just a neighborhood association, that is kind of a semi- public private advisory group to mayors offices. some areas dont even have one. for example there is one in frutillar, they lobbied for getting frutillar designated a historical zone. they have nothing to do with immigration, and only vaguly have any official standing.

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

Jamers41

Post by Jamers41 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 1:48 pm

While what the admin says above is absolutely true, the "junta de vecinos" is usually the go-to authority for producing the documents here known as a "certificado de domicilio" or "residencia". It's basically just a paper that says someone verified that you really live in the neighborhood and municipality where you say you live. My wife just had to obtain one of these for a job she's about to start. They job paperwork did not actually require the certificate itself, as a utility bill with her name on it and correct address would have sufficed, however we only have a few bills that are actually still physically sent to our house and those are in my name (if anyone's name at all, sometimes it just says "residente").

I also remember that I had to produce this residence certificate to apply for a driver's license to prove that I really do live in the same comuna, and at that time I also did not have any bills coming to the house with my name actually on them, so I also had to find a person who printed out these "certificates", and show them a utility bill with my address, my ID and pay 1 luca or so to get one. Unfortunately a "junta de vecinos" was never constituted in my neighbhorhood, so we have had to go to someone in nearby neighborhoods for this.

Admin is right that this itself doesn't have to do directly with immigration, however these "residence certificates" are more common than you might think.

eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Thu Oct 04, 2018 2:42 pm

Very interesting, so another wea added to the process most likely as a result of years of uncontrolled immigration.

Back in the old days, the PDI would do a physical verification (probably asked the conserge of the condo in my case).
Generally, just a SPAM KILLER. You are on your own in this forum. My personal mission here is done.

BUT when necessary, by way of ridicule and truth revelation we shalt do war.

--eeuunikkeiexpat

mem

Post by mem » Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:51 pm

Jamers41 wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 1:48 pm
While what the admin says above is absolutely true, the "junta de vecinos" is usually the go-to authority for producing the documents here known as a "certificado de domicilio" or "residencia". It's basically just a paper that says someone verified that you really live in the neighborhood and municipality where you say you live. My wife just had to obtain one of these for a job she's about to start. They job paperwork did not actually require the certificate itself, as a utility bill with her name on it and correct address would have sufficed, however we only have a few bills that are actually still physically sent to our house and those are in my name (if anyone's name at all, sometimes it just says "residente").

I also remember that I had to produce this residence certificate to apply for a driver's license to prove that I really do live in the same comuna, and at that time I also did not have any bills coming to the house with my name actually on them, so I also had to find a person who printed out these "certificates", and show them a utility bill with my address, my ID and pay 1 luca or so to get one. Unfortunately a "junta de vecinos" was never constituted in my neighbhorhood, so we have had to go to someone in nearby neighborhoods for this.

Admin is right that this itself doesn't have to do directly with immigration, however these "residence certificates" are more common than you might think.
Yeah, I was told to use a utility bill...however none of my utilities are in my name, they are in the land lords name. He shows me the bill and I pay him my share. So i am going to have to try to use my rental contract. Which actually started in Oct 2017 and just technically expired on Oct 2018, but we are still living here. The land lord hasn't expressed any interest in going to get a new rental contract. I looked at the contract itself and it just says that the contract runs for a year from Oct 2017 and can continue if all parties agree; This is an excerpt

"Este Contrato tendra una duracion de un ano y regira desde del 01 de Octubre de 2017, pero podra prorrogarse previo acuerdo de las partes"

The other possible snag, is there is no actual address for my place out in the country. No mail service, etc. The contract just says Camino X, Sector Blah, Comuna Y. No number of anything...which is typical for places out in the country in region 9

Sigh, so I hope this works when I go to this place. Maybe I can try to get my landlord on the phone or something if they balk

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Thu Oct 04, 2018 4:34 pm

if we get a chance, we will check with immigration what this is all about.

mem

Post by mem » Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:04 pm

Well I went an got this junto de vecinos residencies certificate today.

What an absolute nightmare. So I had a translator friend helping. We started at the municipality information booth to find where the Junto de vecinos was. They directed us to anothet office that I thought was the JdV, but no, it was just a lady that could look up what/where the JdV was based on my sector. So we got a name and a phone number of a guy. My buddy calls this guy ( it was noon) and he says we need to call a lady named Monica and gives us the number. So we call Monica and she says she won't be available until 6pm and that we should come to her house. So we disband until 6pm and then join up again and my buddy has to be manually navigated to this lady's house in Spanish while I follow. Well it turns out that that going into town was a total 60minute waste of a trip. Monica is outside of town about 5minutes away from our house. So tons of backtracking. We get there and she asks where we live and we tell her and she is like oh that's not my jurisdiction. So then I show her the rental contract which says the sector and she reluctantly agrees to service us. Then she just opens a binder and fills out some forms and literally rubber stamps them and we get our certificates of residence for 3 Luca each. Then my buddy says "we should go" which im not sure is a translation fauxpas or he actually thinks we need to get the heck out of there asap.

I can't believe this wea. This wea is just too much. If it was just some office or moose lodge in town that would be fine, but this is just over the top in my humble opinion. I pity the poor expat with no translation assistance. They would be lost 7 ways from Sunday

fraggle092

Post by fraggle092 » Sat Oct 06, 2018 12:38 pm

mem wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:04 pm

I can't believe this wea. This wea is just too much.
Welcome to Kafkaland.
Here's one example from my own experience, plenty more where that came from:

Chasing up an outstanding bill, the debtor told me that it had been paid via vale vista to a local bank.
At the bank, they wouldn't even confirm that the document was available stating that "this information is only given out
to authorized persons"

As the owner and legal rep of our business, I asked them who was supposed to "authorize" me. The cashier, and his boss looked hangdog, and wouldn't give a straight answer.

I refused to give up, so I authorized myself with a poder, giving me the necessary authority.
This in itself was a saga, but to cut things short....

Back to the bank a week or so later, made the same enquiry, brandishing the stupid poder.
Cashier went away, got his boss. Boss went away, then came back to tell me that no such vale vista had ever been received.

ps: Did get paid....eventually.
Après moi, le déluge