Buying a car with an expired carnet

Anything related to legal issues, immigration, problems, regulations, tax issues, or any other law or legal related problem in Chile. Moderated By A Chilean Attorney.

Moderator: Zvalenzuela

mem

Buying a car with an expired carnet

Post by mem » Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:45 pm

My carnet expired in June and still waiting on the tramite for renewal...could be several more months, but I want to buy a car now

When I go to the notary with the seller will the notary not allow the sale to proceed with my expired Carnet RUN and my passport? I have been told that my RUN is still good even with an expired Carnet, but I dont want to take any chances if I travel a long way to buy a car if this is going to be a snag

Anyone have experience with this sort of thing?

chesswolf

Re: Buying a car with an expired carnet

Post by chesswolf » Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:58 am

You are in the exact same situation as me! I'm told that an expired cédula should prevent you from purchasing anything with a loan, but that it shouldn't keep you from paying cash and registering the car to your name. I haven't had the courage to test the "shouldn't" in that statement though. If you find anything out, let me know!

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:42 am

by convention on this forum, we use "RUT" not "RUN" to refer to both tax and national id number. long story, but stops confusion.

your RUT is still valid, if you ever had a national id. valid for life.

even the temporary RUT for foreigners does not need to be renewed anymore.

FYI, the temporary RUT for foreigners is not the same thing as temporary residency.

for identification at the notary, when signing, you can use your passport.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

mem

Post by mem » Tue Oct 02, 2018 11:01 am

I bought our first car a few years ago. I went with the seller to the notary and had my paperwork from when I got my tourist rut. However it had been like 9 months since getting the tourist rut and i was already in tramite for my first residency visa. I didn't have the rut card cause we got it in Santiago and then moved away down south

At the time the notary looked at my rut paper work and saw and expiration date on the form which was actually for my tourist visa and basically told me the whole form/rut was expired. I had to go to sii and get a special letter basically saying my rut was valid to buy a car and then go back to the notary with the seller.

Fast forward to now...and worried the notary will make the same apparent mistake...look at my Carnet, see it is expired and try to tell me my rut on my Carnet is expired.

I've been trying to find a way to print a form off the sii site thay shows my name and rut without an expiration date, just to be safe. I tried doing the verify e-rut but it asks for a serial number on the document plus the rut, but nothing on my Carnet seems to be a valid serial number for the e-rut app.
Seems like this is one of things where there are the facts of the law and then there are the facts as the notary clerk thinks they are. If it was just a local purchase of a car is just give it a shot, but im wanting to buy a car in Valpo from a private seller while I live in region 9, so it's a long trip only to have the notary trip me up on my carnet

at46

Post by at46 » Wed Oct 03, 2018 12:00 pm

mem wrote:
Tue Oct 02, 2018 11:01 am

I've been trying to find a way to print a form off the sii site thay shows my name and rut without an expiration date, just to be safe. I tried doing the verify e-rut but it asks for a serial number on the document plus the rut, but nothing on my Carnet seems to be a valid serial number for the e-rut app.
For the serial number did you try the NÚMERO DOCUMENTO - nine digits next to your birth date on the face side of the Carnet?

Gloria

Post by Gloria » Wed Oct 03, 2018 1:26 pm

admin wrote:
Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:42 am
your RUT is still valid, if you ever had a national id. valid for life.
Sometimes I wonder......................................the RUN or as commonly is known RUT or Carnet, has an expiration date. The number is forever as an ID, HOWEVER the document expires every 5 years and THAT´S what these lost souls are referring to. The renewal takes ONLY weeks to process, meanwhile a piece of paper is given to you to show that´s so and you can proceed with any transaction.. If you lost it....that´s another story. FYI, you as a foreigner is your OBLIGATION to be diligent when your documents expires. The gov. will not send you a reminder!
I'm from the generation of common sense, wisdom and unfiltered answers. I sayeth as I seeth.

mem

Post by mem » Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:51 am

I think the 5 year expiry is specific to perm residents, whereas the temp residents are usually 1 year or slightly less. Again specific to the Carnet, which is linked to the temp visa. Now with visa processing taking 6+ months or even more with back and forth, it means temp residents are going for quite a long time with an expired Carnet waiting on tramite

I realise the rut/run legally never expires regardless of the visa/Carnet status.

At this point I have an old tourist rut, but no card for it and I think the new E-Rut system makes the old cards invalid anyway. Only the e-rut is valid since jan 1 2018(unless you have a carnet). I havent used the tourist rut for a couple years, and it seems I need to convert it to e-rut if I want to try to use it as if I was not resident
Then there is also my expired Carnet rut, I tried to login with it to sii, but it looks like I need a secret key so my options are
1) wing it with expired Carnet and hope the notary doesnt give me a hassle and knows the law
2) go to sii and get some kind of temporary document