Buying a car in Chile

Introduce yourself, discover who else is here, and get news and information about the forum. Most of all, tell us what Chile means for you.

Moderator: eeuunikkeiexpat

Chillidog

Buying a car in Chile

Post by Chillidog » Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:13 pm

Hi,

My girlfriend and I have been traveling in South America for a couple of months and have become sick of traveling by bus. We have read that Chile is the best country to buy a 2nd hand car in, we want to know if it would be possible to resell a car back in Chile 2-3 months after we bought it.
Any help would be very appreciated.

Thanks, Charlie.

Britkid

Re: Buying a car in Chile

Post by Britkid » Mon Oct 01, 2018 5:15 pm

It is certainly possible. The process is quite long in terms of the document and notarization and things you have to do as well as finding a car, looking around yards, selling a car, background research. You may end up spending around 10-30 hours of work to buy and then to sell. It is probably slower than some other countries.

There aren't any major insurmountable barriers to foreigners, however. You may have to get a social security number but it isn't that hard.

If you are in Santiago area and speak Spanish, I can introduce you to some family that are in the business. You need to look around the outskirts of Santiago, car yards hand around near the ringroads.

Be aware that used cars are expensive here. So you will need to shell out 2 million pesos for a small 20 year old car that looks tacky and 5 million for a half decent 10 year old car. Of course, in theory, you should make most of it back.

I wrote about my experiences of buying a car here: viewtopic.php?t=11587 You can google search the forum or elsewhere for other threads.

For 2-3 months, it's debatable if it's worth it or not.

You could rent a car and save on time, hassle, stress. That would likely be more expensive. You can get a 1-way car rental, but that would likely be even more expensive. If you have the money, you could rent a car for certain stretches or for 2-3 days here and there. You'll still need to use the bus some of the time though, unless you want to hitch hike.
In 2014/2015 I blogged about my life in Chile. http://web.archive.org/web/201601121940 ... age_id=268

Chillidog

Post by Chillidog » Sat Oct 13, 2018 1:09 pm

Thanks Britkid very helpful

mem

Post by mem » Sun Oct 14, 2018 10:16 am

Are you planning to drive the car outside of Chile? There are some additional struggles to take a car you bought outside of Chile, extra documentation.

As mentioned there is a premium charge on used cars in chile. I'd say apples to apples the same car here is going to be 25-35% more expensive than any in the US.

The hassle of finding a good car (one that has been cared for, odometer not rolled back, not having functional issue) is very time so consuming. Its tricky to avoid buying a lemon, but one indicator is a ton of the same model and similar years for sale...sometimes means they are trying to unload their hassle on someone else. Gotta spend a lot of time on carcomplaints.com. a good example are the 2002-2012 Nissan Navarra. Tons for sale...why? They literally snap in half like the chassis!

Then of course there is the gas price. It just keeps going up. Getting a diesel is a good idea but those cars tend to be more expensive.

Personally, I'd suggest you stick with buses or flights between major cities and then rent a car while visiting each area. A lot less risk, time, and it will probably be cheaper in the long run.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Sun Oct 14, 2018 11:17 pm

The hassle of finding a good car (one that has been cared for, odometer not rolled back, not having functional issue) is very time so consuming. Its tricky to avoid buying a lemon, but one indicator is a ton of the same model and similar years for sale...sometimes means they are trying to unload their hassle on someone else. Gotta spend a lot of time on carcomplaints.com. a good example are the 2002-2012 Nissan Navarra. Tons for sale...why? They literally snap in half like the chassis.
i would be careful with that one. yea the nissans are common because they are cheap, and crap. same with chevies or any american vehical. people buy them because they can afford them.

however, say the toyota hilux are probably the most common vehicals in chile, because they are used as fleet vehicals by companies and they auction them off regularly to renew the fleets. even very beet up and poorly maintained hilux, keep running.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Sun Oct 14, 2018 11:30 pm

here is an auction site, if you want a large selection of cheap cars. many are still under warrenty, as they are lease vehicals and repos.

http://macal.cl/Vehiculos/Busqueda/

i see used auto lots buyers, buying from this auction, just to turn around and mark up the price and sell them on thier lots. these guys give you some sort of warrenty, and most their vehicals are under 100,000 km. i highly doubt they are messing with the dials or any of that crap, simply because they have way to many cars to move.

that said, i would stay away from private placments by indivdual sellers at the auction, and stick to the bank repos, fleet renewals (rental cars are best), etc. they also have a notary public at the auction, and insurance companies. as foreigner, your going to need a valid rut number.

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Sun Oct 14, 2018 11:42 pm

by the way, after watching these auctions for a couple of years, it is pretty rare to see a vehical go for more than 3 times the minium price. typicaly two time the published minimum will do it.

ironicaly, high end european sports cars seem to do the poorest at auction, relative to their new sticker price. i watched an Alfa Romeo go for the minimum 8 million pesos, with one bidder. i have seen a bunch porshes, bmw, mercedes, that only had one or two bidders, and went for under 12 million. in fact can not recall any of them going for much more than 12 milion, regardless of age or condition.

newer toyota hiluxes, or similar pickups, will be some of the most expensive and get the most action. pretty rare to get one under 8 million, even in bad shape.

of course the chinese made cars often can not be given away. if they sell at all, it will be the minimum price. which if you are just looking for realy cheap, short term, transportation, then might not be a bad option. if you dont care about resell value, how ling it will last, or anything like that.

mem

Post by mem » Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:26 am

Cool site. I can imagine it would be pretty easy to pick up vehicles from that auction and resell in the south for a reasonable profit.

Just looked at the toyotas, and every single hillux one was red...which I'm told for mining the trucks have to be red. Or course it could just be a coincidence. They did have 1 blue tundra that looked pretty good

Also looked at the Mercedes but just 3 vito's. Will have to make a habit of checking that site