paying rent if landlord died

General topics related to Living in Chile
Gloria
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 4415
Joined: Sat Jan 20, 2007 12:30 pm
Location: Región de los Ríos

Re: paying rent if landlord died

Post by Gloria » Wed Aug 08, 2018 12:20 pm

I guess I´m ruffling some feathers uh? :lol:
I'm from the generation of common sense, wisdom and unfiltered answers. I sayeth as I seeth.

HybridAmbassador
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 3722
Joined: Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:19 pm

Re: paying rent if landlord died

Post by HybridAmbassador » Wed Aug 08, 2018 3:50 pm

Gloria wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 12:20 pm
I guess I´m ruffling some feathers uh? :lol:
Whmmm, thinks the admin got mistaken by quoting you instead of "julito" ? Or is it he didn't like your emoji? Now I'm going confusing...!
HybridAmbassador. Toyota Hybrid system for helping climate change.

User avatar
nwdiver
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 2919
Joined: Tue Mar 17, 2009 8:45 pm
Location: Vancouver, BC and Chile where ever it's Summer
Contact:

Re: paying rent if landlord died

Post by nwdiver » Wed Aug 08, 2018 6:47 pm

Julito wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:21 am
Yep, keep paying the utilities and setting the rent aside somewhere so you can show come collection time you've done all that was possible in good faith until things were clarified. ie. You didn't take it as an opportunity to stitch anyone up.

I can't say I've ever seen a lease/rent contract anywhere with a clause addressing the possibility of the landlord karking it.
Death is not the only "change in ownership" and change of ownership is normally a clause in a rental agreement.......
It's all about the wine.

Julito
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 180
Joined: Sun Apr 19, 2015 5:39 pm
Location: Villarrica

Re: paying rent if landlord died

Post by Julito » Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:00 pm

HybridAmbassador wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 3:50 pm
Gloria wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 12:20 pm
I guess I´m ruffling some feathers uh? :lol:
Whmmm, thinks the admin got mistaken by quoting you instead of "julito" ? Or is it he didn't like your emoji? Now I'm going confusing...!
If it was me ok, apols, but I just couldn't resist it...

Gloria
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 4415
Joined: Sat Jan 20, 2007 12:30 pm
Location: Región de los Ríos

Re: paying rent if landlord died

Post by Gloria » Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:17 pm

Julito wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:00 pm
HybridAmbassador wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 3:50 pm
Gloria wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 12:20 pm
I guess I´m ruffling some feathers uh? :lol:
Whmmm, thinks the admin got mistaken by quoting you instead of "julito" ? Or is it he didn't like your emoji? Now I'm going confusing...!
If it was me ok, apols, but I just couldn't resist it...
It wasn't you.....will the real culprit please stand up?
I'm from the generation of common sense, wisdom and unfiltered answers. I sayeth as I seeth.

Julito
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 180
Joined: Sun Apr 19, 2015 5:39 pm
Location: Villarrica

Re: paying rent if landlord died

Post by Julito » Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:46 pm

nwdiver wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 6:47 pm
Julito wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:21 am
Yep, keep paying the utilities and setting the rent aside somewhere so you can show come collection time you've done all that was possible in good faith until things were clarified. ie. You didn't take it as an opportunity to stitch anyone up.

I can't say I've ever seen a lease/rent contract anywhere with a clause addressing the possibility of the landlord karking it.
Death is not the only "change in ownership" and change of ownership is normally a clause in a rental agreement.......
Usually covered by legislation and the rental income becomes part of the deceased estate till all matters are settled.

No idea how it works in Chile but the first rental agreement I read here wasn't worthy of toilet paper, in fact the most unrealistic "legal document" written by a lawyer I'd ever encountered anywhere. We ended up re-writing ourselves.

thisisreallycomplicated
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 1845
Joined: Sun Aug 07, 2011 6:25 pm
Location: Coquimbo

Re: paying rent if landlord died

Post by thisisreallycomplicated » Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:52 am

eeuunikkeiexpat wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 2:18 am
I would just pay the utilities (don't want them cut off) and wait for the to be VERIFIED inheritor/s to come after you for the rent and I would pay the rent then with no fees for late payment (tell them tough shit someone died, etc.), make sure you get the proper recibos and other evidence of who you are dealing with and for the payment.
That sounds like the best approach for now. I paid one of the Conafe bills earlier today, and their website immediately showed it as paid. So I'll pay the other one next, and then do the same thing with the other bills.
eeuunikkeiexpat wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 2:18 am
Good luck. Please keep us posted as I believe no one else on the forum ever had this situation...
Thanks, I'll post an update if anything important happens.
“Now it’s conspiracy – they’ve made that something that should not even be entertained for a minute, that powerful people might get together and have a plan. Doesn’t happen, you’re a kook, you’re a conspiracy buff!” – George Carlin

thisisreallycomplicated
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 1845
Joined: Sun Aug 07, 2011 6:25 pm
Location: Coquimbo

Re: paying rent if landlord died

Post by thisisreallycomplicated » Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:59 am

admin wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:28 am
The proper way to handle the payment is to escrow it at a notary until the estate is sorted out.

Beyond that your going to need an attorney, or your going to need to start thinking about moving. This is not something you can handle yourself.

Handled properly, the family in most cases is happy to have a paying renter, at least until probate is completed and a property is sold; but, again who exactly gets the payments or has authority to make decisions might take months, years, and in lot of cases never gets sorted out. By never, i mean the family never gets their act togetherto fix the estate mess.
Thanks. So it sounds like I should wait a bit, to see if someone contacts me. And start looking into an escrow.
“Now it’s conspiracy – they’ve made that something that should not even be entertained for a minute, that powerful people might get together and have a plan. Doesn’t happen, you’re a kook, you’re a conspiracy buff!” – George Carlin

thisisreallycomplicated
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 1845
Joined: Sun Aug 07, 2011 6:25 pm
Location: Coquimbo

Re: paying rent if landlord died

Post by thisisreallycomplicated » Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:13 am

Julito wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:46 pm
No idea how it works in Chile but the first rental agreement I read here wasn't worthy of toilet paper, in fact the most unrealistic "legal document" written by a lawyer I'd ever encountered anywhere. We ended up re-writing ourselves.
Spencer rewrote mine. There was stuff in the original, that I would never agree to.
“Now it’s conspiracy – they’ve made that something that should not even be entertained for a minute, that powerful people might get together and have a plan. Doesn’t happen, you’re a kook, you’re a conspiracy buff!” – George Carlin

Post Reply