paying rent if landlord died

General topics related to Living in Chile
thisisreallycomplicated

paying rent if landlord died

Post by thisisreallycomplicated » Tue Aug 07, 2018 6:58 pm

I tried paying my rent a few days ago, but the girl at the bank said my landlord's account was closed, and I think she said he died. And I haven't been able to contact anyone yet. I have his address, and I think it's still correct, but I don't know for sure. And it's over 400km away. Does anyone here know what I need to do? Should I just wait until someone contacts me? Or could I get evicted for not paying my rent, even though I don't know how, or to who? Thanks.
“Now it’s conspiracy – they’ve made that something that should not even be entertained for a minute, that powerful people might get together and have a plan. Doesn’t happen, you’re a kook, you’re a conspiracy buff!” – George Carlin

admin
Site Admin

Re: paying rent if landlord died

Post by admin » Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:40 pm

Way too little info to go on. Try verifying it first.

assuming he is dead, then that opens up a whole new legal can of worms.

Most importantly, make sure the money is really going to the estate and someone fully authorized to represent the estate. We have piles of inheritance cases where rent just disappears in to someones pocket never to be seen again.

That could takes years to sort out.

On the bright side, it could also take years for anyone to be in a legal position to evict you, regardless if you pay rent or not.

Again, Start by first making sure he is really dead, and it is not just some lazy person at the bank or whatever.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

thisisreallycomplicated

Post by thisisreallycomplicated » Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:31 pm

admin wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:40 pm
Again, Start by first making sure he is really dead, and it is not just some lazy person at the bank or whatever.
Things started getting wierd with my VTR bill last month (it was in his name, now in someone else's), so I know something isn't right. And he didn't reply to my email from a few days ago, which is a first. And my neighbor tried calling him for me, but she said the number didn't work. So there's a good chance he really is dead. But so far, I haven't been able to verify it. Is there an easy way to do that? I haven't been able to find anything online yet.

I also need to make sure the utilities get paid. They're all in his name, and I reimburse him along with my rent payment. But I have some old bills with the account #'s, and the online payment systems seem to show that everything except Conafe has been paid. So my next step, is to try paying Conafe myself.

Anyway, thanks for your reply. It sounds like I don't have to worry about getting evicted anytime soon, while I'm trying to figure this out. And that was my main concern, along with making sure the utilities get paid.
“Now it’s conspiracy – they’ve made that something that should not even be entertained for a minute, that powerful people might get together and have a plan. Doesn’t happen, you’re a kook, you’re a conspiracy buff!” – George Carlin

thisisreallycomplicated

Post by thisisreallycomplicated » Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:05 pm

Is there any reason I shouldn't pay the utilities myself, while they're still in my landlord's name? And does anyone know how long it takes, before Conafe will shut off the electricity for non-payment? Their website shows 2 bills, that look like they may not have been payed yet. But it doesn't give any details, so I'm not sure.

Julito

Post by Julito » Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:34 pm

This is really complicated.... :)

Gloria

Post by Gloria » Wed Aug 08, 2018 12:14 am

Julito wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:34 pm
:lol: :lol:
I'm from the generation of common sense, wisdom and unfiltered answers. I sayeth as I seeth.

thisisreallycomplicated

Post by thisisreallycomplicated » Wed Aug 08, 2018 12:31 am

Julito wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:34 pm
I think I'll change my login to lifeisgreatihaveareallycutegirlfriendandihavelotsofmoneysoidonthavetowork... then maybe my luck will change:)

eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Wed Aug 08, 2018 2:18 am

I would just pay the utilities (don't want them cut off) and wait for the to be VERIFIED inheritor/s to come after you for the rent and I would pay the rent then with no fees for late payment (tell them tough shit someone died, etc.), make sure you get the proper recibos and other evidence of who you are dealing with and for the payment.

Good luck. Please keep us posted as I believe no one else on the forum ever had this situation...
Generally, just a SPAM KILLER. You are on your own in this forum. My personal mission here is done.

BUT when necessary, by way of ridicule and truth revelation we shalt do war.

--eeuunikkeiexpat

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:28 am

Gloria dont do that again.

This is way more complicated than can be dealt with on a forum.

Yes, it depends on the drafting of the contract, but there is way way more to it.

The proper way to handle the payment is to escrow it at a notary until the estate is sorted out.

Beyond that your going to need an attorney, or your going to need to start thinking about moving. This is not something you can handle yourself.

Handled properly, the family in most cases is happy to have a paying renter, at least until probate is completed and a property is sold; but, again who exactly gets the payments or has authority to make decisions might take months, years, and in lot of cases never gets sorted out. By never, i mean the family never gets their act togetherto fix the estate mess.

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:32 am

thisisreallycomplicated wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:05 pm
Is there any reason I shouldn't pay the utilities myself, while they're still in my landlord's name? And does anyone know how long it takes, before Conafe will shut off the electricity for non-payment? Their website shows 2 bills, that look like they may not have been payed yet. But it doesn't give any details, so I'm not sure.
Pay the utilities. The name on the bill in most cases means nothing.

Gloria

Post by Gloria » Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:17 am

admin wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:28 am
Gloria dont do that again.

This is way more complicated than can be dealt with on a forum.

Yes, it depends on the drafting of the contract, but there is way way more to it.

The proper way to handle the payment is to escrow it at a notary until the estate is sorted out.

Beyond that your going to need an attorney, or your going to need to start thinking about moving. This is not something you can handle yourself.

Handled properly, the family in most cases is happy to have a paying renter, at least until probate is completed and a property is sold; but, again who exactly gets the payments or has authority to make decisions might take months, years, and in lot of cases never gets sorted out. By never, i mean the family never gets their act togetherto fix the estate mess.
What did I do? Do what!! Write the correct answer? It got deleted anyway! There´s nothing to fear but fear itself!
I'm from the generation of common sense, wisdom and unfiltered answers. I sayeth as I seeth.

Julito

Post by Julito » Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:21 am

Yep, keep paying the utilities and setting the rent aside somewhere so you can show come collection time you've done all that was possible in good faith until things were clarified. ie. You didn't take it as an opportunity to stitch anyone up.

I can't say I've ever seen a lease/rent contract anywhere with a clause addressing the possibility of the landlord karking it.