Getting a Chilean Driving License

General topics related to Living in Chile
at46
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 541
Joined: Fri Sep 20, 2013 6:13 pm
Location: Vancouver/Santiago

Re: Getting a Chilean Driving License

Post by at46 » Sat Aug 11, 2018 4:27 pm

Spudzilla wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:32 pm
Thank you AT46, Britkid, Scandinavian and Frozen North, your comments regarding the color vision tests have been helpful to me. It seems, oddly enough, that the tests may vary considerably. I had a friend who recently took the exam, and I asked him to pay attention to the test, specifically for color vision. He only recalled having to identify the colors of some animals. My condition causes me troubles with the Isahura plate test examination. I can normally distinguish traffic signal colors (although have had problems with the completely non standard devices used by flaggers in Chile).
Unfortunately for me, requirements in the United States regarding physical examination requirements for commercial truck drivers, have made it impossible to pass the color vision test. I have sadly surrendered my commercial driver's license after over 30 years of driving without an in duty accident.
I believe that my "disability" actually forced me to be more aware of conditions on the road without relying on the visual stimulation of color changes on traffic signals.
I will probably wait until my hand is forced, to take the test, and I am thankful that apparently the Ishaura test is not applied. Thank you all again.
Ah, yes, there was this test where you were supposed to make out animals displayed against a certain background. Not sure, if that's the same as Isahura exam though.

The law requires to 'Reconocer permanentemente los colores rojo, verde y amarillo', whatever 'permanentemente' means in this context.

https://www.leychile.cl/Consulta/m/norm ... orma=10426

frozen-north
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 1780
Joined: Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:28 am

Re: Getting a Chilean Driving License

Post by frozen-north » Wed Aug 22, 2018 9:29 am

HybridAmbassador wrote:
Is there mad drivers there in Chile endangering other drivers lives? ..... I see these incidents very often in California freeways..
Kick From Motorcycle Rider Kicks Off Chain-Reaction Crash
CBS Los Angeles

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Th6XR02YllI

User avatar
admin
Site Admin
Posts: 16555
Joined: Sat Aug 26, 2006 11:02 pm
Location: Frutillar, Chile
Contact:

Re: Getting a Chilean Driving License

Post by admin » Thu Aug 23, 2018 7:34 am

frozen-north wrote:
Wed Aug 22, 2018 9:29 am
HybridAmbassador wrote:
Is there mad drivers there in Chile endangering other drivers lives? ..... I see these incidents very often in California freeways..
Kick From Motorcycle Rider Kicks Off Chain-Reaction Crash
CBS Los Angeles

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Th6XR02YllI
That is insane. What moron tries to take on a car on a motercycle. Granted the bike loomed like it had mpre weight, but....
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

papageno
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 556
Joined: Wed Jul 22, 2015 6:46 pm
Location: Los Angeles & Puerto Varas

Re: Getting a Chilean Driving License

Post by papageno » Thu Aug 23, 2018 11:48 am

admin wrote:
Thu Aug 23, 2018 7:34 am
frozen-north wrote:
Wed Aug 22, 2018 9:29 am
HybridAmbassador wrote:
Is there mad drivers there in Chile endangering other drivers lives? ..... I see these incidents very often in California freeways..
Kick From Motorcycle Rider Kicks Off Chain-Reaction Crash
CBS Los Angeles

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Th6XR02YllI
That is insane. What moron tries to take on a car on a motercycle. Granted the bike loomed like it had mpre weight, but....
That'a why those of us who don't ride, call them "donorcycles"

papageno
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 556
Joined: Wed Jul 22, 2015 6:46 pm
Location: Los Angeles & Puerto Varas

Re: Getting a Chilean Driving License

Post by papageno » Thu Aug 23, 2018 12:09 pm

Notice too, the bike was PASSING ON THE LEFT, not only within the lane , but the HOV (High Occupancy Vehicle) lane. Totally illegal, and not where a car driver would expect him to be. (California recently legalized lane splitting for motorcycles, but between traffic lanes, not the #1 lane and the center divider) So, he does something illegal and stupid, the car driver may have simply been startled and twisted the wheel the wrong way. In any case, it was totally the biker's fault. "Hogs", indeed.

User avatar
fraggle092
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 1310
Joined: Fri Mar 28, 2008 6:35 pm
Location: In Chile

Re: Getting a Chilean Driving License

Post by fraggle092 » Thu Aug 23, 2018 1:05 pm

Suspect that the car driver had done something prior to this video that pissed off the biker.
Or maybe it was a warning kick(!) as the Nissan was drifting leftwards across the lane.
Why did the car then steer abruptly to the left, in a lane with nowhere to go on that side?
That's not a normal reaction - unless they were trying to slam the biker.
Pair of idiots. And neither of them should have been in that lane.
Après moi, le déluge

dmwbmw2
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 429
Joined: Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:43 pm

Re: Getting a Chilean Driving License

Post by dmwbmw2 » Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:52 pm

In many jurisdictions, BC being one, motorcyclists are entitlef to use the HOV lanes whether they are alone or with a passenger. Perhaps this was the case here.

dmwbmw2
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 429
Joined: Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:43 pm

Re: Getting a Chilean Driving License

Post by dmwbmw2 » Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:54 pm

Sep 23, 2014 · "Motorcycles are allowed in the HOV lanes," said Sgt. Terry Liu, express lane supervisor for the CHP in Los Angeles County. They are not required to have any "clean air vehicle" stickers or to be carrying passengers, and there is no stipulation on what time of day or night they use the lanes.

User avatar
Space Cat
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 1199
Joined: Thu Dec 04, 2014 9:20 pm
Location: Valdivia

Re: Getting a Chilean Driving License

Post by Space Cat » Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:30 am

Space Cat wrote:
Thu Aug 02, 2018 4:19 pm
I asked in my municipality if they will accept a notarized translation of my diploma instead of an apostille which is expensive (a trip to Santiago + power of attorney + courier to Russia + apostille fees + courier to Chile) and I will need to wait multiple months. They said yes, so I went ahead and enrolled in driving classes (which also asked for a diploma translation). Hopefully, they will not forget their promise when I'm there for an exam.
And of course it didn't work out. The next nationwide basic education level test is in the end of October, so enroll at the local branch of MINEDUC if you need a license.

Gloria
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 4401
Joined: Sat Jan 20, 2007 12:30 pm
Location: Región de los Ríos

Re: Getting a Chilean Driving License

Post by Gloria » Fri Aug 24, 2018 2:08 pm

Space Cat wrote:
Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:30 am
Space Cat wrote:
Thu Aug 02, 2018 4:19 pm
I asked in my municipality if they will accept a notarized translation of my diploma instead of an apostille which is expensive (a trip to Santiago + power of attorney + courier to Russia + apostille fees + courier to Chile) and I will need to wait multiple months. They said yes, so I went ahead and enrolled in driving classes (which also asked for a diploma translation). Hopefully, they will not forget their promise when I'm there for an exam.
And of course it didn't work out. The next nationwide basic education level test is in the end of October, so enroll at the local branch of MINEDUC if you need a license.
Hummmm.....it sounds so familiar. Live and learn....Welcome to Chile! :D
I'm from the generation of common sense, wisdom and unfiltered answers. I sayeth as I seeth.

User avatar
Space Cat
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 1199
Joined: Thu Dec 04, 2014 9:20 pm
Location: Valdivia

Re: Getting a Chilean Driving License

Post by Space Cat » Fri Aug 24, 2018 2:46 pm

Nothing unexpected: being a smartass rarely works in bureaucracy-related situations but checking all the boxes always does.

Gloria
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 4401
Joined: Sat Jan 20, 2007 12:30 pm
Location: Región de los Ríos

Re: Getting a Chilean Driving License

Post by Gloria » Fri Aug 24, 2018 4:11 pm

Space Cat wrote:
Fri Aug 24, 2018 2:46 pm
Nothing unexpected: being a smartass rarely works in bureaucracy-related situations but checking all the boxes always does.
It worked for me. You missed to check this box: I should've asked before putting my trust in the chilean bureaucracy related situations.:wink: Back to school! If you need help in some chilean subjects just raise your hand.
I'm from the generation of common sense, wisdom and unfiltered answers. I sayeth as I seeth.

Post Reply