Introduce yourself, discover who else is here, and get news and information about the forum. Most of all, tell us what Chile means for you.

Moderator: eeuunikkeiexpat

4Fam

Post by 4Fam » Sat Jul 28, 2018 5:23 pm

Hello,
I signed up last year but have not had much of chance to read and interact. We are a family of four (2 teenagers) and will be visiting Chile in September for the 1st time. We currently live in the U.S. my husband is from the U.S., but was raised overseas and I am European, but have lived in the U.S. since college.
We are planning on using Airbnb. Are there neighborhoods/areas to avoid? Also, can one easily rent an auto in town? We plan to take some trips out of the city. Any suggestions, ideas etc.
Our plan is to move permanently at the end of the year.
Kate

Julito

Re: Newbie

Post by Julito » Sat Jul 28, 2018 5:38 pm

That'a a pretty broad request Kate. There're multiple places best avoided in every big city in the world. Do your research online and let travel common sense prevail. It's not rocket science. Santiago is not Chile just as Sydney is not Australia and nor is New York the USA.

4Fam

Post by 4Fam » Sat Jul 28, 2018 7:59 pm

Thanks for taking the time to reply, Julito, I well know big cities, I spent my formative years in Cairo. I have researched neighborhoods online. We love to walk cities and I just want to make sure our short term rental puts us in a good walk-able area. Our teenagers will want to explore as well.

Donnybrook

Post by Donnybrook » Sun Jul 29, 2018 1:08 pm

Just be aware that AirB&B in Chile (or anywhere else) does not have the same safeguards as in the US. If you find a property, post a link here for advice.

Best to find somewhere within walking distance of a metro station on line 1.
Best walking to the historic center of Santiago: (Barrio is a neighbourhood) Barrio Lastarria, Barrio Bellas Artes. More residential but good metro access: Providencia, Las Condes.
Also check out Apart hotels. They have more guarantee than Air B&B. There is one some friends stayed in on Lastarria (the street, full name José Victorino Lastarria ) maybe at #89? For looking not booking use booking dot com as you can enter a lot of parameters and get an idea of prices. Check reviews anyway.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:31 am

Yea i dont think i would tell a foreigner that has never been to santiago to rent in those areas, and then depend on using the metro. There are some infamiously dagerious areas a few blocks one way or the other, that can be avoided / dealt with, if you have a feel for santiago.

Rent an apart hotel in los condes, with parking, and rent a car or use taxi (do not use uber), until you get your sea legs.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:50 am

The other thing i do, and try to tell everyone traveling anywhere in the world, is book a nice hotel at least for the first night. It will be the best money you spend.

The bigest, most expensive, and often dangerious mistakes you will ever make traveling, will probably happen in the mins and hours after you step off a 8 hour+ flight (with airports, packing, transfers, and such often means you have been moving for well over 24+ hours none stop without good rest).

Remember being tired in many ways is worse than being drunk when it comes to cordination, reaction times, and judgment.

Get a good meal. Get some good sleep. Then figure out what to do next with a clear head, in a safe place, over breakfast. Also a full service hotel will have services like transport, arranging a car, etc.

I also always try to arrive in the morning, or at least not too late in the evening, to a new city i dont know well. If your going to have a problem, better to have it in broad day light when things like offices, banks, embassies, etc and other services are open and there is time to fix the problem.

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:01 am

I can not even count the number of times i have gotten calls from foreigners being held at immigration at santiago airport, on like a friday night or holiday, that have a relatively easy problem to fix, IF some office was open. For example the department of immigration, or agriculture, or an embassy.

Simply due to the timing of their arrival, they eventually get sent back home or end-up spending days camped in the immigration / PDI holding, just to be sent back home in the end.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:11 am

The old timers probably remember the famious guy that made the news in chile for paying like $500 u.s. for a taxi from the airport that really cost like $ 20. He showed up on the forum later and admitted he was tired and simply got confused by the exchange rate.

Donnybrook

Post by Donnybrook » Tue Jul 31, 2018 6:53 pm

Yes, there was a lady on another forum who not only got taxi scammed for over US$300 but had the driver "help" her get the money out of the ATM to pay for it.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:17 am

There is no reason for messing around with the taxi on the street at the airport.

Go to the official taxi desk before you leave security. Pay with a credit card and get voucher.

There are guys outside with designated colored jackets.

The price is the same as a street taxi or less, and all the scumbags with signs outside will leave you alone because they know you already have a taxi.

No reason to exchange money with the driver at all. They have shuttles and private taxi.

Uber is illegal at the airport. In fact, i would not recommend an x-navy seals mess around with uber in chile. You have zero protection using uber in chile. It is no diffrent than hitch hicking. The taxi in chile have the extreme licensing requirments they have today, excatly because they were a bunch of shady people associated with the industry years ago.

If you need a taxi day to day, we have had good experience with easytaxi.com app. Works like uber, but with licensed taxi drivers rather than random people on the street.

nwdiver

Post by nwdiver » Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:44 pm

If I'm not picked up at the airport, I tend to use the shuttle vans, I don't mind waiting 10-15 minutes for one going my direction....
It's all about the wine.

Jamers41

Post by Jamers41 » Wed Aug 01, 2018 5:18 pm

admin wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:17 am
There is no reason for messing around with the taxi on the street at the airport.

Go to the official taxi desk before you leave security. Pay with a credit card and get voucher.

There are guys outside with designated colored jackets.

The price is the same as a street taxi or less, and all the scumbags with signs outside will leave you alone because they know you already have a taxi.

No reason to exchange money with the driver at all. They have shuttles and private taxi.

Uber is illegal at the airport. In fact, i would not recommend an x-navy seals mess around with uber in chile. You have zero protection using uber in chile. It is no diffrent than hitch hicking. The taxi in chile have the extreme licensing requirments they have today, excatly because they were a bunch of shady people associated with the industry years ago.

If you need a taxi day to day, we have had good experience with easytaxi.com app. Works like uber, but with licensed taxi drivers rather than random people on the street.
I would prefer Cabify, as they have filters in their hiring process that Uber does not have (and I've done this from the airport before), but to each his own.