chaos in PDI

General topics related to Living in Chile
paladin

chaos in PDI

Post by paladin » Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:34 pm

I now need to renew my carné and hence need the certficado de viajes. 5 years ago, I got this without a long wait, but at the moment at least, it seems basically impossible unless you are prepared to sleep outside on the street, the night before . I turned up this morning and found that I was one of the 2% of “European descent” people who also probably only wanted to do a similar simple tramite. The remainder were those trying to regularize their immigration status. However with the usual lack of logic in government offices, there was no separation between those with simple requests and those with complicated ones.
There was a man standing beside me with two children of about 5/6 years , who he needed to do some tramite or other with, and after he mentioned to the PDI person in charge of the chaos that there was no way he could expect little children to stand in line for Christ knows how many hours, she said to him the he needed to get there earlier. He said he had tried getting there at opening time, but it was the same, and the only choice he had was to sleep on the street with them, to which she replied “asi es”.
It seems that I need to wait until summer, so I can sleep outside without ending up with hypothermia.

bobserb

Re: chaos in PDI

Post by bobserb » Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:05 pm

Try in smaller town.

scandinavian

Post by scandinavian » Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:02 pm

Yep. I did it in Villarica last year. 5 minute tops. Impossible in Santiago

Donnybrook

Post by Donnybrook » Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:06 pm

I did it in Viña del Mar. You can do the Registro Civil renewal process there too but have to say what municipality you wan them to send it to to pick up. I chose to do that stage in Santiago with an appointment. I made the appointment before I went to PDI as their certificate lasts 30 days and the appointments with RC fill up fast. It worked well.

My son had a short stay over Christmas/New Year and I paid a relocation company US$100 and they did the PDI with a power of attorney for him. Well worth the money and nicer than sleeping on the street! I had made an appointment with RC in Santiago before he came. Worked well.

So that's 2 alternatives.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:29 pm

Yea there are probably some pdi offices in the patagonia that would be estatic to see a real live person.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:34 pm

Seriously though if you go to an office outside of santiago, you just avoided standing in line with 90% of the immigrants in the country that need the same paper.

Welcome to the well planned fix for the immigration crisis.

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

paladin

Post by paladin » Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:03 pm

Great. Thanks for the suggestions. A trip to somewhere outside Santiago, could give me a change of scenery; I’ll give it some thought and check out which location could be interesting to visit. Villarica seems interesting. At the same time Donnybrooks idea of using a facilitar could be a more simple solution. Donnybrook, could you send me a PM with the name of the person that I should contact ?
Thanks very much.

Julito

Post by Julito » Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:08 am

Come to Villarica Paladin and I'll do you a deal on accommodation in the hotel, walk you to where you want to go etc etc...

GAminer

Post by GAminer » Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:32 am

paladin wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:34 pm
I now need to renew my carné and hence need the certficado de viajes. 5 years ago, I got this without a long wait, but at the moment at least, it seems basically impossible unless you are prepared to sleep outside on the street, the night before . I turned up this morning and found that I was one of the 2% of “European descent” people who also probably only wanted to do a similar simple tramite. The remainder were those trying to regularize their immigration status. However with the usual lack of logic in government offices, there was no separation between those with simple requests and those with complicated ones.
There was a man standing beside me with two children of about 5/6 years , who he needed to do some tramite or other with, and after he mentioned to the PDI person in charge of the chaos that there was no way he could expect little children to stand in line for Christ knows how many hours, she said to him the he needed to get there earlier. He said he had tried getting there at opening time, but it was the same, and the only choice he had was to sleep on the street with them, to which she replied “asi es”.
It seems that I need to wait until summer, so I can sleep outside without ending up with hypothermia.
Did you try going through the main door and ask at the front desk at the PDI office in Santiago. I went a few months ago to do a tramite at bout 1 PM, asked the fellow at the front desk where I go to do such and such, he asked me if I had a chilean ID, which I did, and he pointed me to a small office with about 5 other people. Took 3 minutes total.

rocksana

Post by rocksana » Sat Jul 14, 2018 2:35 pm

paladin wrote:

Why cannot you make an appointment? Shouldn´t you go to extranjeria instead?
We have used that service successfully in the past, right before immigration became explosive

http://www.extranjeria.gob.cl/
> reserva tu cita > reserva de horas > yada yada

paladin

Post by paladin » Sat Jul 14, 2018 6:29 pm

rocksana wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2018 2:35 pm
paladin wrote:

Why cannot you make an appointment? Shouldn´t you go to extranjeria instead?
We have used that service successfully in the past, right before immigration became explosive

http://www.extranjeria.gob.cl/
> reserva tu cita > reserva de horas > yada yada
The way I remember it is that first you need a certificado de viajes which the PDI issues. Then you can get your appointment in the registro civil to get the carné renewed. The govt website confirms that is the procedure.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:57 pm

Fine discussing the topic in abstract, but not paying to promote compitors on the forum.