Thread on Outside Taps (Faucets)

Buying, Selling, Building, Tax issues, anything regarding real estate or properties in Chile.
Forum rules
NO DISCUSSION OF SPECIFIC REAL ESTATE AGENTS BY NAME, LINK, OR RECOMMENDATION ANYWHERE ON THE CHILE FORUM.
EugenesDIYDen

Thread on Outside Taps (Faucets)

Post by EugenesDIYDen » Wed Jun 27, 2018 5:18 am

Someone has asked me what thread is used on outside taps in Chile. They're moving to the country and want to be able to connect a US hose which likely has a garden hose thread (GHT) on the end.
I write guides about DIY, gardening, tools, etc on the HubPages network of sites

admin
Site Admin

Re: Thread on Outside Taps (Faucets)

Post by admin » Wed Jun 27, 2018 10:12 am

Ahh, go to the home center buy a hose to be certain, but they are all the same chinese hoses, connectors, etc so they are probably exactly the same. If not for 1000 pesos you could just swap the valves.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

EugenesDIYDen

Post by EugenesDIYDen » Wed Jun 27, 2018 7:52 pm

admin wrote:
Wed Jun 27, 2018 10:12 am
Ahh, go to the home center buy a hose to be certain, but they are all the same chinese hoses, connectors, etc so they are probably exactly the same. If not for 1000 pesos you could just swap the valves.
The easiest thing is to replace the connector on the hose, but are Chilean taps 3/4" BSP threaded?
I write guides about DIY, gardening, tools, etc on the HubPages network of sites

fraggle092

Post by fraggle092 » Wed Jun 27, 2018 10:59 pm

Unión llave-manguera bronce 1 BSP HI con espiga 3/4"

HI = Hilo Interno = Internal thread
HE = Hilo Externo = External thread

Plumbing here uses Imperial for pipe sizes, but its sold in Metric lengths.
Après moi, le déluge

jehturner

Post by jehturner » Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:03 am

PVC plumbing uses metric pipe sizes but imperial BSP threaded fittings, which are no longer used in Britain...

I seem to remember that the threads on the garden taps are some size like 1.25" but usually have a smaller GHT adaptor/bushing screwed onto them, Then there may be a Hozelock adaptor screwed onto that in turn... But your local gardener will happily rig it up some awful contraption that will connect whatever hose you like to any tap, eg/ using bits of drip line, PVC pipe and galvanized steel wire.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:15 am

If it is a real concern, bring a couple taps with a u.s. thread with then put them on the pipe here.

Honestly i would not waist the time and money dragging a garden hose around the world. That is a real expensive hose by the time it gets plugged in. I can think of a milliin things that are of far higher value and hard to find in chile or realy expensive to put in that space. Last time i was at sodimac, they had an entire section of the store filled with garden hoses.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

EugenesDIYDen

Post by EugenesDIYDen » Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:03 pm

jehturner wrote:
Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:03 am
PVC plumbing uses metric pipe sizes but imperial BSP threaded fittings, which are no longer used in Britain...

I seem to remember that the threads on the garden taps are some size like 1.25" but usually have a smaller GHT adaptor/bushing screwed onto them, Then there may be a Hozelock adaptor screwed onto that in turn... But your local gardener will happily rig it up some awful contraption that will connect whatever hose you like to any tap, eg/ using bits of drip line, PVC pipe and galvanized steel wire.
Tubing is metric in the UK, but as far as I know, fittings are still imperial BSP. Could be wrong though.
UK garden taps are 3/4 inch BSP, but the external thread diameter is approx 1".