New visitor from California

Introduce yourself, discover who else is here, and get news and information about the forum. Most of all, tell us what Chile means for you.

Moderator: eeuunikkeiexpat

speedstar

Re: New visitor from California

Post by speedstar » Sun Jun 10, 2018 2:04 pm

Is the Fifth Region good for orchards?

Gloria

Post by Gloria » Sun Jun 10, 2018 2:29 pm

Absolutely! Type in Google...cultivos en la quinta región.
I'm from the generation of common sense, wisdom and unfiltered answers. I sayeth as I seeth.

41southchile

Post by 41southchile » Sun Jun 10, 2018 2:35 pm

at46 wrote:
Sun Jun 10, 2018 1:12 pm
eeuunikkeiexpat wrote:
Sun Jun 10, 2018 1:42 am
passport wrote:
Sat Jun 09, 2018 11:37 pm
I think Chile's markets could use cocktail tomatoes - the ones that are maybe 3.5cm diameter, a little smaller than a golf ball. Here in the US they have taken on very well. They have excellent flavor in any season and seem to ship and hold well. There is even a successful commercial grower in Maine - which has a cold climate and shorter days than in the south. The standard perfectly blemishless grocery tomato in Chile is a gustatory waste of time, flawless in appearance but devoid of flavor and texture. Grape tomatoes are found in Chile, similar to the US, but they are really inferior to a nice cocktail tomato. I even like to keep the cocktail tomatoes til they get deep red, and use them to make sauce.
Anyone in a tomato growing zone knows that Chile supermarket tomatoes are crap and the local feria is the best place to buy tasty tomatoes. Even at the local season edges, the ones the feria people get from further north are still better than the supermarket crap (and cheaper too). Ask Hybrid about the tomatoes of Llolleo which he tried (with local feria bought parsley, Chile olive oil and Chile sea salt) with his veggie traveling companion when he visited me.

That said, there is probably a market for the cuico set for a speialty tomato. I noticed how argula lettuce became a cuico hit in a short amount of time.
A campo friend here in the Fifth Region says his neighbors just plowed in a bunch of tomatoes this year because of tremendous overproduction. Apparently, someone had a good year with tomatoes a couple of years ago and now the entire area is growing them. There's no planning whatsoever as to which crop to plant and the competition is pretty fierce.
Yeah happens every where with everything, in those countries that swallowed the tonic. Because hey, that's the neo lib version of the free market is, dont be silly why would you plan ? Competitoon is sacrasanct, there must be competition to get the best results, or so the theory goes.
In the Lakes Region Chile for 6 years. It looks like New Zealand in some ways, and is nearly at the bottom of the world too, but there the similarities end.

Gloria

Post by Gloria » Sun Jun 10, 2018 2:41 pm

Today's golden word " PALTOS ( the tree)= PALTA (the fruit)".
I'm from the generation of common sense, wisdom and unfiltered answers. I sayeth as I seeth.

at46

Post by at46 » Sun Jun 10, 2018 3:01 pm

41southchile wrote:
Sun Jun 10, 2018 2:35 pm
at46 wrote:
Sun Jun 10, 2018 1:12 pm
eeuunikkeiexpat wrote:
Sun Jun 10, 2018 1:42 am
passport wrote:
Sat Jun 09, 2018 11:37 pm
I think Chile's markets could use cocktail tomatoes - the ones that are maybe 3.5cm diameter, a little smaller than a golf ball. Here in the US they have taken on very well. They have excellent flavor in any season and seem to ship and hold well. There is even a successful commercial grower in Maine - which has a cold climate and shorter days than in the south. The standard perfectly blemishless grocery tomato in Chile is a gustatory waste of time, flawless in appearance but devoid of flavor and texture. Grape tomatoes are found in Chile, similar to the US, but they are really inferior to a nice cocktail tomato. I even like to keep the cocktail tomatoes til they get deep red, and use them to make sauce.
Anyone in a tomato growing zone knows that Chile supermarket tomatoes are crap and the local feria is the best place to buy tasty tomatoes. Even at the local season edges, the ones the feria people get from further north are still better than the supermarket crap (and cheaper too). Ask Hybrid about the tomatoes of Llolleo which he tried (with local feria bought parsley, Chile olive oil and Chile sea salt) with his veggie traveling companion when he visited me.

That said, there is probably a market for the cuico set for a speialty tomato. I noticed how argula lettuce became a cuico hit in a short amount of time.
A campo friend here in the Fifth Region says his neighbors just plowed in a bunch of tomatoes this year because of tremendous overproduction. Apparently, someone had a good year with tomatoes a couple of years ago and now the entire area is growing them. There's no planning whatsoever as to which crop to plant and the competition is pretty fierce.
Yeah happens every where with everything, in those countries that swallowed the tonic. Because hey, that's the neo lib version of the free market is, dont be silly why would you plan ? Competitoon is sacrasanct, there must be competition to get the best results, or so the theory goes.
Yeah, with geography so incredibly diverse and the average farm size relatively small it would be hard to plan, but they don't even try.

HybridAmbassador

Post by HybridAmbassador » Sun Jun 10, 2018 3:55 pm

Gloria wrote:
Sun Jun 10, 2018 2:41 pm
Today's golden word " PALTOS ( the tree)= PALTA (the fruit)".
Are they the same as, Avogados or Aguacate? Do they grown in Chile?
HybridAmbassador. Toyota Hybrid system for helping climate change.

Gloria

Post by Gloria » Sun Jun 10, 2018 4:17 pm

Yes and their price is about US$9 or more per kilo.

speedstar

Post by speedstar » Sun Jun 10, 2018 7:29 pm

Thanks

eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Sun Jun 10, 2018 8:56 pm

The palta price is temporarily high this year reaching a historical record but normally, Palta Hass does not cost that much.

This black large egg shaped gold has even the flaites stealing up to a truckload to cash in on them.
Generally, just a SPAM KILLER. You are on your own in this forum. My personal mission here is done.

BUT when necessary, by way of ridicule and truth revelation we shalt do war.

--eeuunikkeiexpat

sandeepk

Post by sandeepk » Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:49 am

You will surely find it, Keep up the great work!

41southchile

Post by 41southchile » Mon Jun 11, 2018 2:11 pm

eeuunikkeiexpat wrote:
Sun Jun 10, 2018 8:56 pm
The palta price is temporarily high this year reaching a historical record but normally, Palta Hass does not cost that much.

This black large egg shaped gold has even the flaites stealing up to a truckload to cash in on them.
Jajaja, still not as expensive as NZ last year, where they were stealing them too when they reached about 3.50 USD EACH. All the hipsters and millenials/urbanites everywhere can't get enough of them now, for how long is anyone's guess.
In the Lakes Region Chile for 6 years. It looks like New Zealand in some ways, and is nearly at the bottom of the world too, but there the similarities end.