Cashing a cheque

Chile Investment, how to invest in Chile, what to watch out for when investing, economic issues, currency exchange in Chile, and more.
dmwbmw2

Cashing a cheque

Post by dmwbmw2 » Thu May 31, 2018 12:54 pm

After so many years in Chile I am kicking myself to have fallen in to this kind of problem but it happened and now Im hoping somebody has some ideas....

My daughter left Chile in early 2017 to pick up another degree in university in Canada. Whether she did it by carelessness or not I dont know but she let her residency expire and lost the expired carnet to boot.

Then she found out she had a substantial tax refund coming and when it was deposited it bounced because the bank had closed her account due to inactivity. So Tesoreria mailed a cheque to her last address on file and they advised me and gave it to me.

The bank says they cant (or wont??) reactivate her account and to open a new account she has to be there with a valid carnet. Impossible.

Needless to say when asking the bank they just say there is no possible solution, so get lost.

I understand the cheques are only good for 60 or 90 days and are only possible to be deposited in to an account of the same name?

Is there a work around that could be done? Ie notarize her signature at a Chilean consulate in Canada and sign it over to me could be done? Or is the rule to deposit in account of the same name absolute? I suspect the Chilean consulate wouldnt even talk to her without a carnet at any rate.

I will see her in Canada June 8 to 24 and she had intended to come back to Chile but only for a holiday sometime between June and September this year. But obviously now she is only as a tourist.

What a mess.... my son did a similar thing but the difference was he came back permanently and wnet through the whole painful process again with temp residence. i think my daughte ris planning never to come back except as a tourist for vacation.

Gloria

Re: Cashing a cheque

Post by Gloria » Thu May 31, 2018 1:33 pm

Dmw, it's obvious that she has no intentions other than coming to visit you with a tourist visa, otherwise if it was something of such importance to her she would've paid more attention to the expiration of both documents UNTIL she saw a substantial check coming to her. Us, as parents we need to stop solving our children problems if we want them to become responsible adults. Even though is painful, let her resolve her own mess that after all are life's lessons.
I'm from the generation of common sense, wisdom and unfiltered answers. I sayeth as I seeth.

dmwbmw2

Post by dmwbmw2 » Thu May 31, 2018 1:50 pm

Would it were so easy.

Its not a fortune but it would probably pay a years grad school.

And if she ends up not having enough money to pay this, I think we both know who will end up paying.

So once again her problem becomes mine.

Gloria

Post by Gloria » Thu May 31, 2018 2:33 pm

If she is over 18, it's not your problem anymore......sorry!
I'm from the generation of common sense, wisdom and unfiltered answers. I sayeth as I seeth.

dmwbmw2

Post by dmwbmw2 » Thu May 31, 2018 4:14 pm

Wow, you are tough!

Gloria

Post by Gloria » Thu May 31, 2018 4:43 pm

dmwbmw2 wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 4:14 pm
Wow, you are tough!
I believe in pampering children and giving them love when they are very young but when they grow old enough to understand what life's all about and can fend for themselves, the pampering is over. Believe me, they won't think the same way when you are old, decrepit, pennyless and cannot fend for yourself...they won't hesitate to send you to a home.

paladin

Post by paladin » Thu May 31, 2018 10:07 pm

I’ve never had the pleasure of receiving a cheque from tesoreria, so dont know if they make them non endorsable or not. If not, then she could endorse it to you when you see her, then deposit it into your bank account.

thisisreallycomplicated

Post by thisisreallycomplicated » Thu May 31, 2018 11:24 pm

dmwbmw2 wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 12:54 pm
Needless to say when asking the bank they just say there is no possible solution, so get lost.

I understand the cheques are only good for 60 or 90 days and are only possible to be deposited in to an account of the same name?
I'm used to how checks work in the US, but I recently learned that they work differently in Chile. So, depending on what type of check you have, and if I correctly understood what I read, there may be a solution. I don't think I can post a link here, to what I read, but search on this in google "cashing-a-bank-check-cheque-in-chile". That web page describes stuff like "check crossing", which may (or may not) apply to your check. If it does, it may be payable to the "bearer", which is you. Let me know if you can't find that web page, or if it doesn't make sense, and I'll try to explain it.
“Now it’s conspiracy – they’ve made that something that should not even be entertained for a minute, that powerful people might get together and have a plan. Doesn’t happen, you’re a kook, you’re a conspiracy buff!” – George Carlin

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Fri Jun 01, 2018 10:24 am

Her passport Is legal identification and should be sufficient to cash the check. Her rut is still valid, as she had residency.

Now, explaining that to the desk jockies at the bank, is another problem. Find an executive that can call up the chain, at the bank it was drawn on.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

dmwbmw2

Post by dmwbmw2 » Fri Jun 01, 2018 12:22 pm

You have given us hope, thank you.

Now she just has to see if she can get down here before the check expires so as not to have another problem with getting it reissued.

Seems strange they only give 60 days, is this correct?

Gloria

Post by Gloria » Fri Jun 01, 2018 5:49 pm

May the Force be with you!

thisisreallycomplicated

Post by thisisreallycomplicated » Fri Jun 01, 2018 6:04 pm

dmwbmw2 wrote:
Fri Jun 01, 2018 12:22 pm
Seems strange they only give 60 days, is this correct?
Does your check have something like "O AL PORTADOR" on it? I think that means "or payable to the bearer".
“Now it’s conspiracy – they’ve made that something that should not even be entertained for a minute, that powerful people might get together and have a plan. Doesn’t happen, you’re a kook, you’re a conspiracy buff!” – George Carlin