A New Member's 1st Post (But Not My Last)

Introduce yourself, discover who else is here, and get news and information about the forum. Most of all, tell us what Chile means for you.

Moderator: eeuunikkeiexpat

NoelJ_88

A New Member's 1st Post (But Not My Last)

Post by NoelJ_88 » Wed May 30, 2018 5:34 pm

Hey everyone, my wife and I will be spending some time (18 months) in Concepción starting this October. We'll be relocating from Colorado (USA). I'd love to be able to leverage your experience so I don't have to splash through every mud puddle in Chile (so to say) as if I was the first foreign person ever to land there.

Jamers41

Re: A New Member's 1st Post (But Not My Last)

Post by Jamers41 » Wed May 30, 2018 6:17 pm

Ok, I'll bite. But could you give a bit more info about your situation and be a little more specific about your concerns? Most forum users here are friendly enough but some will see a post like yours and roll their eyes and just think "Great, another one who doesn't want to click on the search button."

I can tell you that I myself am an American who's been living in Santiago (or a suburb of) for nearly 8 years, but I will wait to hear your reply before saying much more.

NoelJ_88

Post by NoelJ_88 » Wed May 30, 2018 7:32 pm

Well, Jamers41, I thought before asking a bunch of asked & answered (or dumb) questions that it might be wise to spend some time reading through the forums to see what's already out there for public consumption. I'll probably spend some more time reading here and other expat blogs before I really have any specific questions.

With that said, due to my situation, I'm not too concerned about housing or transportation arrangements. I will be interested, though, in infrastructure items like mobile phones and internet. I'm also wondering about purchasing items here in the US (e.g. new laptop, clothing) versus buying it in Chile after we arrive.

Jamers41

Post by Jamers41 » Wed May 30, 2018 8:07 pm

Well I have both home internet and mobile service through a company called VTR. If you ask around here you will probably get varied opinions about the caliber of their services......some swear by it while others would just swear at it. My wife's phone is still with Movistar and honestly I don't think the reception/signal strength is much different.........however this applies to 2 Samsung phones moving around different parts of Santiago, I can't really speak to how that would be in Concepción (or "Conce" as many here call it). If you wanted to go dirt cheap with your phone service you could try WOM prepaid (prepaid might be your only choice if you don't have any provable local income, but that's another topic). Fortunately with the advancement of technology, plans have gotten better over the past few years in terms of $$$ per gig of data or minutes, however it still might seem a bit steep if you're used to having a splashy unlimited data/minutes plan in the US.

As far as the phone itself goes, I am satisfied with the variety on the market offered here, however I'm not very picky, so if you can't live without the latest Iphone or whatnot you might want to consider bringing your favorite model with you, as I understand it these days most new phones bought in the US are unlocked and can use a local Chilean SIM card without issues. Last year when I last visited the US in June I brought back a 64GB Iphone with me for a colleague, because she could only find 32GB models here.

It used to be that laptops were cheaper in the US, or you at least got more bang for your buck than buying one here, however PCs have also improved a bit here in the last few years so I don't know if it still makes that much of a difference now (I suspect it might but more because of the exchange rate with a strong dollar these days).

I hope that sheds a little light into your considerations.

dmwbmw2

Post by dmwbmw2 » Wed May 30, 2018 8:28 pm

I lived/live in Concepcion 1990-1991, 2011, 2015-present.
Would be glad to help if I can with any doubts.

Would be interested to understand why your situation means housing/transportation isnt an issue.

Do you have a contract that has a house/apt with a car?

NoelJ_88

Post by NoelJ_88 » Wed May 30, 2018 10:14 pm

Thx Jamers41 I appreciate the insight! We are cheap phone people anyway. Our current phones here are trailing edge (2013 model) Samsungs.

Yes dmwbmw2 housing and transportation are included.

NoelJ_88

Post by NoelJ_88 » Thu May 31, 2018 5:23 pm

So, how about dental work in Chile. Should I get work done in the States at about $200 per filling or should I wait? TIA for any information.

dmwbmw2

Post by dmwbmw2 » Thu May 31, 2018 5:31 pm

I had a perfectly fine dentist here in Conce unfortunately he left recently, but I dont expect to have problems finding another.

Prices are way lower than Canada so I suspect way lower than Colorado also.

Jamers41

Post by Jamers41 » Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:18 pm

Prices here for dental work are definitely lower than in the US......but that's not saying much.

In fact if your Spanish is adequate enough you could even try finding a deal on the local version of the Groupon page here for some dental procedures.

Britkid

Post by Britkid » Sun Jun 03, 2018 3:34 pm

I'd do the dental work in Chile provided you can defer it to a few months after you arrive. You will be busy on arrival.
In 2014/2015 I blogged about my life in Chile. http://web.archive.org/web/201601121940 ... age_id=268

David_Bro

Post by David_Bro » Sun Jun 03, 2018 7:43 pm

In an out of Chile since 84 as a US passport holder with US family in Chile since about 1948-----You can find anything in Chile you are looking for----not easy for those extreme items and it takes legwork to find it----buts it's there. Honestly what is behind finding things in Chile is that as a consumer very few Chileans are on the edge of creating something new so there is no path----on the other hand there is plenty of business going on in Chile, and that there aggressive Chilean business types to see the need and work it out------but they don't necessarily advertise there goods and services like what is done in the US----so you have to hunt them down----have been to planet of Chilean supplier of goods that are fine to service only 5 clients and because those buyers buy so much they don't bother----and again coupled with a business environment where risk and adventure are so dangerous, no one else searches out what other services could be done with those niche products. In Chile, its all about connections and what they can do for you and what you can do for them-----Its probably two years if not more on the ground for a foreigner to make headway where you can make a call and have any hope of headway to what you are looking for------Landing in Chile with a big bag of money can be a huge help but while Chileans are on to this, its not everything and money can't buy your way in where its just instant success-----its getting into to all those tiny creases, canyons and cracks of relationships that put you on the start block=====Don't make the mistake to avoid this-----and its everything from the women that cleans the house, the taxi driver, the mesero up to the banker, the judge, the lawyer and the cops-----Chile is an all in game

###

chesswolf

Post by chesswolf » Sun Jun 03, 2018 11:03 pm

Hey there,

My wife and I (and two young children) are US citizens and live just outside of Conce in San Pedro de la Paz. If we can help you figure anything out, please let me know.

We love the service from Movistar for cell phones. Seems to be great coverage at a decent price. After being one month of prepaid plan you can easily upgrade to an automatically renewing prepaid plan with good rates. My wife had WOM but didn't like their coverage. Get your phone here since you aren't picky. My cheap chilean phone works better than my wife's iphone from the US. As for laptops, I understood what I was getting in the US better than if I tried to buy something here so I'd recommend bring a laptop with you. Yes prices here are better than they were but I think you get better variety at better prices in the US.