What would you want with land in Chile ?

All things related to Moving to Chile, tips, tricks, FAQS. Here is where to exchange information between those that have already moved and those planning to move to Chile so you do not need to learn the hard way. Please also check Living in Chile forum for related information.
41southchile

Re: What would you want with land in Chile ?

Post by 41southchile » Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:07 pm

AnciaVagar wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:14 pm
41southchile wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:06 pm
...I honestly don't know what it would cost, but can't hurt to run the numbers...
That would be my main point: let the unemotional numbers guide the decision without preconception.

Also, consider the existing dealer(s) delivering LNG to the neighborhood in question. Creating a captive customer base still dependent on truck delivery to the neighborhood tank would be highly advantageous vertical integration. Their role in the supply chain is already capital intensive and copes with high liability, and they have funding and wholesale supplier relationships in place. One must presume that it would be easier for them to make the case and that they are looking for such opportunities if the numbers are right. Do you want to compete against them?

41southchile wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:06 pm
...Big prices from suppliers seem unlikely...
Any viable business case cannot ignore the fact that commodity prices are inherently volatile and are likely to rise from this local minima. Sound business strategy focuses less on the deliverable and more on the financial case and competition.
Thanks, interesting, and more things to put in to the mix.
Bottled gas would be a lot cheaper and easier possibly. Once I have numbers on what would cost for a reticulated gas system and how to fund it I will base decision on that.

No, I don't want to compete against local gas suppliers in trucks, but if the gas company controlled the tank and pipes within the loteo, I wouldn't be completing directly anyway.
Ideally I would look to have the gas supplier administer the system to avoid many of the issues you have raised.

Yes there is a volitility in commodities, but from what it's looking like , natural gas should in theory not see so much volitility, with fixed term contracts being given out like the likes Chile recieved, but Im no expert on that and am just basing that on information I have read, so no guarantees.
If we look at any heating costs there is going to be volitility in all of them if we talk over the next 2 decades for example (although possibly not so much either with electricity I am thinking, with all the new supply coming on line in the next few years)
Yes I agree, sound business strategy relies on the financial case and competition, but those are not the only considerations in this day and age, and should never have been the ONLY considerations for any business.
In the Lakes Region Chile for 6 years. It looks like New Zealand in some ways, and is nearly at the bottom of the world too, but there the similarities end.

41southchile

Post by 41southchile » Sat Jun 16, 2018 8:33 am

Do people here think street lights are necessary in a rural subdivision? I was thinking, at the entrance yes, and maybe at intersections within the Loteo, and that's about it, probably use reflective strips or catseyes to mark out corners and things. I had a Chilean friend of my wife's yesterday saying no one would want to live there as they would feel too insecure not having street lights, like they do in a town. I drove past a rural subdivision the other night, with no house's built yet and it was lit up like a Christmas tree, street lights everywhere, not only did it seem like a huge waste of energy, as no one even lives there yet, but it just looked out of place, glowing brightly in the middle of a rural area. I was also just thinking of using low lights, at maybe a metre or two like they have in parks, more as a feature rather than to mark the way if anyone was walking around at night, which is unlikely anyway, but not big street lamps, they seem out of place. Any thoughts ?
In the Lakes Region Chile for 6 years. It looks like New Zealand in some ways, and is nearly at the bottom of the world too, but there the similarities end.

passport

Post by passport » Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:03 pm

I agree completely that over-lighting, and especially with those ugly Chilean street light, ruins the ambience of the neighborhood. Your idea of 1 -2 meter lights, especially at intersections, is hugely more appealing. There's a lot of nice stuff on the north american market. By the way, can you provide a link to the parcelacion website?

41southchile

Post by 41southchile » Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:50 pm

passport wrote:
Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:03 pm
I agree completely that over-lighting, and especially with those ugly Chilean street light, ruins the ambience of the neighborhood. Your idea of 1 -2 meter lights, especially at intersections, is hugely more appealing. There's a lot of nice stuff on the north american market. By the way, can you provide a link to the parcelacion website?
Hi there, no, we dont want ugly things, our inspiration comes from all around the world, and have seen some awesome things around the places but I guess it just depends on what is avaliable here, I now know two lighting experts here, both seem to be very respected and well recognised in their fields for work they have done, so I guess they must know a thing or two. I was recently in Queenstown back in New Zealand, checking out Loteos there, but they are not really doing what we are doing, as the developments I looked at were all only about 2000 sqm sections, start from 1000000 NZD about 440 million pesos. It is Queenstown though, home of the mega rich, a house and land package at popular developments are around 4 million NZD, 1760 million pesos aprox. To be honest a lot didnt appeal, I guess alot of it is just a status symbol owning land and house and land there now, and construction prices are craaazy.

The link for the current stage is lomasdeloncotoro.cl , only the Spanish version is avaliable at the moment.

That is the 1 st stage of this new development, that was designed by a local architect, we did a smaller one last year too, which was kind of a practice run i guess you could say. It hasnt been a smooth road, but we are on our third (and final) architect now, who has done the plans for the rest of the devlopment, his name is Daniel Morales, if anyone wants to google him, he is married to a German woman and lives in Valpariso where he is a consejal on the muni up there, his beliefs alaign with ours and he is a lot more global/minded than what we were able to find down here in Puerto Varas, there is nothing wrong with being provincial, but thats not us if we are to be honest with ourselves and the others just didnt work out.

It actually works really well with sales now, as My wife Carolina is dealing with all of the Chilean sales from now and I am dealing with the International sales, we have the same expectations on the sorts of people we want purchase from and can enjoy this area too, for a number of reasons I feel a lot better about her dealing with the Chileans and she is better at it than me, for a number of reasons.

41southchile

Post by 41southchile » Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:56 am

Off to talk with the Semeri of energy in Los Lagos region this morning, anyone have anything they would like answered about Chile government energy policy ?

Jamers41

Post by Jamers41 » Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:02 pm

41southchile wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:56 am
Off to talk with the Semeri of energy in Los Lagos region this morning, anyone have anything they would like answered about Chile government energy policy ?
Well of the top of my head not really, I guess just something along the lines of what the admin said before about insulation.......why don't they provide more incentives or straight up mandate the use of better insulation (of all kinds, especially for homes in the south)?

At first it might be difficult and expensive but over time it would pay off with lower energy use and lower pollution, plus people would come to expect it and recognize when it's absent (as an example I'm thinking of the typical cheap aluminum windows that are often found even in pricey, newer homes sometimes).

In the long run it would probably even raise national productivity and a bunch of other stats (kids would have one less impediment to their school learning when they are not in a freezing classroom in the winter, for example).

Gloria

Post by Gloria » Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:28 pm

Jamers41 wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:02 pm
41southchile wrote:
Well of the top of my head not really, I guess just something along the lines of what the admin said before about insulation.......why don't they provide more incentives or straight up mandate the use of better insulation (of all kinds, especially for homes in the south)?
What about cleaner heating source together with insulation? That would be the "cat's pijamas".
I'm from the generation of common sense, wisdom and unfiltered answers. I sayeth as I seeth.

Jamers41

Post by Jamers41 » Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:39 pm

Gloria wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:28 pm
Jamers41 wrote:
41southchile wrote:
What about cleaner heating source together with insulation? That would be the "cat's pijamas".
Works for me :wink:

fraggle092

Post by fraggle092 » Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:19 pm

Gloria wrote:
Like what, exactly? Imported gas is expensive. Electricity with that winter sobreconsumo surcharge is even worse, even if the pathetic electricity grid that exists in most places could handle the extra load.

And to insulate one of those ramshackle wooden houses would cost more than the house is worth.

If I lived in Coyhaique (perish the thought!) I would be burning wood like the rest. But at least I would buy the dry stuff.

http://www.revistaei.cl/2018/06/05/ayse ... aminacion/#
Après moi, le déluge

41southchile

Post by 41southchile » Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:29 pm

Jamers41 wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:39 pm
Gloria wrote:
Jamers41 wrote:
41southchile wrote:
Works for me :wink:
So the Seremi guy for Los Lagos region was quite interesting to talk to, he said the ministry of energy are concerned with energy efficiency and together with the ministry of environment and ministry of health are all working on solutions, and that involves from their ministry the efficient use of energy, which means insulation first to stop wasting energy. I told him about the scheme we had in New Zealand (I think I mentioned it here) he was actually really interested and we looked up the website and he said he was going to look into some more, the subsidies in NZ was 12 years ago so I am not up to date on how NZ does it now, but I gave him the general idea, interst free loans, pay off pver 10 years etc. He did admit that no government will ever get rid of wood in the south, it may end up becoming too expensive, which is already happening naturally a bit as the price continues to go up every year, by a rough estimate I think it went up about 20 percent over the last couple of years. So insulation and education are key, i.e dry wood and using less of it

He also mentioned about how they are continuing to invest in renewable energy for the grid, as there is a large percentage that still comes from fossil fuels,
The other interesting thing he mentioned is they are introducing electric charge stations in many cities and towns for electric cars as they want to quadruple he ammount of electric cars in Chile in this term, its a pretty low base so it shouldnt be hard. He said that will be ready by next year, it will be possible to drive from Santiago to Puerto Montt in an electric car and you will be able to find rapid charge stations every 100km or so.

He seemed interested in learning as much as he could he said and it sounded like he read a lot about new technologies in his job, and was interested in hydrogen production from surplus solar power, it was an area they are watching as the technology advances, he had recently been in Germany looking at wind turbines and what they are doing there.

Was interesting to hear it direct from the horses mouth so to speak. Hopefully we can come up with somethings to work on as part of our development.

41southchile

Post by 41southchile » Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:37 pm

fraggle092 wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:19 pm
Gloria wrote:
Like what, exactly? Imported gas is expensive. Electricity with that winter sobreconsumo surcharge is even worse, even if the pathetic electricity grid that exists in most places could handle the extra load.

And to insulate one of those ramshackle wooden houses would cost more than the house is worth.

If I lived in Coyhaique (perish the thought!) I would be burning wood like the rest. But at least I would buy the dry stuff.

http://www.revistaei.cl/2018/06/05/ayse ... aminacion/#
Soooo? Do nothing then ?

at46

Post by at46 » Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:38 pm

41southchile wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:29 pm
The other interesting thing he mentioned is they are introducing electric charge stations in many cities and towns for electric cars as they want to quadruple he ammount of electric cars in Chile in this term, its a pretty low base so it shouldnt be hard. He said that will be ready by next year, it will be possible to drive from Santiago to Puerto Montt in an electric car and you will be able to find rapid charge stations every 100km or so.
They sure know how to generate positive buzz about Chile, coz I'm sure this kinda news will play will in the international media. But those charge stations will do exactly nothing to alleviate car pollution, given that even in the States the best estimates put the number of all electric vehicles at 3% at best in the long-term.