Which temp residency to apply for?

All things related to Moving to Chile, tips, tricks, FAQS. Here is where to exchange information between those that have already moved and those planning to move to Chile so you do not need to learn the hard way. Please also check Living in Chile forum for related information.
Ensi23

Which temp residency to apply for?

Post by Ensi23 » Mon May 28, 2018 10:04 pm

Hey guys, first time poster.

I've read through a number of posts here but didn't quite find my situation to compare against. I've read very different things on lots of different websites and none of it sort of matched the temp residency options on the chilean government website. So the gist of it is, I'm 30 from Australia with a chilean girlfriend (she is living in Chile) I've travelled to Chile a number of times and have some good friends in Chile now. So now I'd like to move over there. Only thing is I'm not entirely sure about what option I should take as the only option I saw was already being married. We are looking at getting married in the future but not straight away. I'll already have a place to live while over there so that's no an issue, I would be enrolling in a Spanish course once there to learn the language quicker (I already do private tuition here).

Any help from you guys would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

mem

Re: Which temp residency to apply for?

Post by mem » Mon May 28, 2018 11:11 pm

So you are currently in Australia and you plan to apply for a temp residency visa for Chile at the Chilean embassy in Australia?

Ensi23

Post by Ensi23 » Tue May 29, 2018 1:13 am

i can apply either here or go over there and do it, i'm not fussed, which ever is easiest really.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Tue May 29, 2018 12:53 pm

the question right now is almost more importantly when you plan to apply, than what type you plan to apply for.

Right now, until about August 1st, 2018 at least, the retirement and periodic income visa is still an option if you have some form of periodic income to support yourself outside the country.

After august 1st, we have no clarity about the rules or procedures that will apply.

Even at that, the rules are changing almost by the day.

they have throttled back giving provisional work permits also, under all visa types, while the temporary residency is being processed. they want at least a job offer of some sort. So, be prepared not to be able to work for a while.

Once temp residency is granted, so far, you can still work. Just while waiting for the application to be processed, which was already 4 to 6 month wait, they are not issuing work permits without specific reason. that wait could get much, much longer, as several hundred thousands applications are about to hit the system.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

Huelshoff

Post by Huelshoff » Tue May 29, 2018 7:19 pm

admin wrote:
Tue May 29, 2018 12:53 pm
Right now, until about August 1st, 2018 at least, the retirement and periodic income visa is still an option if you have some form of periodic income to support yourself outside the country.

After august 1st, we have no clarity about the rules or procedures that will apply.

Even at that, the rules are changing almost by the day.
Can you please provide any more info on this? I am retiring in about a year and moving to Chile.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Wed May 30, 2018 5:39 am

Here you go. 54 pages and still counting:

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=14888

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Wed May 30, 2018 5:40 am

By the way, you can skip ahead to about the last 10 pages if you dont want to read about how we got in to this mess.