Clocks Change Reminder

General topics related to Living in Chile
Britkid

Clocks Change Reminder

Post by Britkid » Sat May 12, 2018 8:17 pm

Clocks go back 1 hour overnight tonight except Magellanes.
In 2014/2015 I blogged about my life in Chile. http://web.archive.org/web/201601121940 ... age_id=268

fraggle092

Re: Clocks Change Reminder

Post by fraggle092 » Sun May 13, 2018 12:04 am

Its not just simple DST changes that cause the problem, its the dates on which the DST transitions occur.
These are tinkered with by Congress for one reason or another every other year or so. Politicians set Chile time by decree.

In 2016, the last government commissioned a comprehensive UN study to establish a definitive Chile Time to put an end to this perpetual dicking. All sorts of institutions were canvassed, and the conclusion they reached was: there is no clear-cut best solution, but whatever the government decides on should be implemented promptly. So nothing happened except that Magallanes got its own Time.

Part of their non-conclusion at the end of a 60-odd page report. A classic cop-out that I thought was worth preserving:

Debido a la complejidad de la medida y la multiplicidad de sus efectos, así como a la ausencia de evidencia
empírica objetiva respecto de sus impactos, cualquiera sea el horario que se adopte habrá adherentes
y detractores, así como beneficios y perjuicios que deben ser previstos y anticipados. Teniendo esto
en consideración, surge la necesidad de adoptar criterios claros para tomar la decisión, de prever sus
consecuencias y, finalmente, de comunicar la medida adecuadamente a la ciudadanía.

Informe final PNUD-web horario chileno

Oh, and here's Chile's official time at 00:08hrs on 13/05/18, in "old" time, just after the transition:
Screenshot-2018-5-13 Hora Oficial(1).png
Après moi, le déluge

fraggle092

Post by fraggle092 » Sun May 13, 2018 9:55 am

Chile time, 8 hours later, at 8am on 13/05/18.
Posted on Sun May 13, 2018 at 8:55 am, not at 9:55 am :)

2018-05-13 .png
Après moi, le déluge

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Sun May 13, 2018 11:36 am

fraggle092 wrote:
Sun May 13, 2018 9:55 am
Chile time, 8 hours later, at 8am on 13/05/18.
Posted on Sun May 13, 2018 at 8:55 am, not at 9:55 am :)

2018-05-13 .png
Someone's data base did not get the memo about the time warp.

I have run to a lot of software that did not have the proper time zone changes set, because chile still fails to notify the world with sufficient time in advance about the changes. It is one of the reasons i generally dont waist my time setting computers to the chilean time zone. Too many bad things have happened trying to keep up with it. If i get it on a gmt zone that is within an hour, i call it good.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Sun May 13, 2018 11:56 am

Here is the problem.

This site is hosted on a server in los angeles, ca. So not that big of deal.

The server in my office for internal services i leave on UTC / zullo / grench mean time. Linux server running mail servers and a bunch of other things. Probably say 1000+ pieces of software and scripts on the box.

Some i can not update, or dont want to update, for very specific reasons. Even the latest software packages have the change of time for chile set correctly, there are a often a bunch of changes not related to the time i really do not want in those updates. Anyone that has adminstered any network knows bleeding edge software is trouble, and you never run the first generation of software live without carefully testing offline first.

If i update to fix the time problem to match chile's time, i know i am at least signing up for a whole day of regression testing, fixing broken scripts and packages; and even if that seems to have went well i will not know what got really broken until it really breaks. That is often 6 months from now, in the middle of the night, while i am on vacation with no access to the server to fix it (that is a law of physics i think).

Basically every time chile screws with the time zones, it requires companies to do a full y2k type audit of servers and software to insure nothing breaks. It blows me away that chile continues to not get the amount of time and money that is lost everytime they mess with the time zones.

Sorry i got better things to do. Especially considering the next congress will screw with it again next year. If i wait, eventually they will set the time back to whatever my system is set to.

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Sun May 13, 2018 12:06 pm

The guys i really feel sorry for are the adiminstrators that are spending this sunday trying to fix hard coded factory type controller units that are deployed around the country. They are often legacy systems, with no real remote access, and no manufaturer updates. Hell, there might not be anyone in chile that even has the expetise to say deal with a legacy cobalt system, binary, or something similar in some of those control systems.

fraggle092

Post by fraggle092 » Sun May 13, 2018 3:13 pm

admin wrote:
Sun May 13, 2018 11:56 am
Sorry i got better things to do. Especially considering the next congress will screw with it again next year. If i wait, eventually they will set the time back to whatever my system is set to.
Hope you dont think I was getting at you, it was just to show the confusion these changes cause. I cant talk, all my stuff is on Buenos Aires Time - permanently.
Après moi, le déluge

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Sun May 13, 2018 7:18 pm

Naaa.

What is this time change number 12 for the forum? Thus why i dont bother yrying to get the forum time to synce with whatever time zone chile is on.