both VTR and Claro internet in the same house

General topics related to Living in Chile
thisisreallycomplicated

both VTR and Claro internet in the same house

Post by thisisreallycomplicated » Tue May 08, 2018 11:38 pm

Does anyone here know if you can have both VTR and Claro banda ancha internet service in the same house? And if you can, would they be completely separate, or could they somehow interfere with each other? Thanks.
“Now it’s conspiracy – they’ve made that something that should not even be entertained for a minute, that powerful people might get together and have a plan. Doesn’t happen, you’re a kook, you’re a conspiracy buff!” – George Carlin

fraggle092

Re: both VTR and Claro internet in the same house

Post by fraggle092 » Wed May 09, 2018 9:46 am

You dont say how the services are being delivered, or how they reach the end users, or what symptoms you are seeing.

But if they are being used with 2.4 GHz wifi routers, as is common, you may get radio interference if they have both been left on the default Channel 6.
Après moi, le déluge

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Wed May 09, 2018 10:43 am

Yea, change router channels. Chances are the whole neighborhood is on the same channel.

There are a bunch of scanners avaible for cellphones that will let you see what channels are in use and how they overlap.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

thisisreallycomplicated

Post by thisisreallycomplicated » Wed May 09, 2018 4:17 pm

fraggle092 wrote:
Wed May 09, 2018 9:46 am
You dont say how the services are being delivered, or how they reach the end users, or what symptoms you are seeing.
Right now, I only have VTR, and I'm not having any problems with it. I'm just considering adding Claro, but not sure if that's possible (for technical or non-technical reasons). Or what kinds of issues it could cause. Adding Claro would solve 1 (non-technical) problem for me, but I don't want to do it, if it'll mess up something else.
fraggle092 wrote:
Wed May 09, 2018 9:46 am
But if they are being used with 2.4 GHz wifi routers, as is common, you may get radio interference if they have both been left on the default Channel 6.
I use a wired connection. So I'm ok as long as that's not affected. But it's good to know, thanks.
“Now it’s conspiracy – they’ve made that something that should not even be entertained for a minute, that powerful people might get together and have a plan. Doesn’t happen, you’re a kook, you’re a conspiracy buff!” – George Carlin

thisisreallycomplicated

Post by thisisreallycomplicated » Wed May 09, 2018 4:24 pm

admin wrote:
Wed May 09, 2018 10:43 am
Yea, change router channels. Chances are the whole neighborhood is on the same channel.
You're probably right. And I had 7 of them listed under my network connections a minute ago.

fraggle092

Post by fraggle092 » Thu May 10, 2018 7:21 pm

thisisreallycomplicated wrote:
Wed May 09, 2018 4:24 pm
You're probably right. And I had 7 of them listed under my network connections a minute ago.
If the wifi is on, you need mac filtering set to "allow only" Most routers have it these days.
Otherwise you get the leechers.

Screenshot-2018-5-10 DD-WSHOP (build 13064) - MAC Filter(1).png
Après moi, le déluge

jehturner

Post by jehturner » Thu May 10, 2018 8:25 pm

MAC filtering isn't really a substitute for WPA2. It's not terribly difficult to spoof a MAC address, eg. after sniffing a bit of traffic. It would avoid people connecting to your network by mistake or *probably* the neighbours intentionally, but why run an unsecured access point anyway? In DD-WRT just go to the Wireless -> Wireless Security tab, set "Security mode" to "WPA2 Personal" and put in a password...

VTR uses their own cables, so I don't think there's any reason in principle why you couldn't have both (it's not like they're sharing a phone line or something).

eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Thu May 10, 2018 10:25 pm

Generally, just a SPAM KILLER. You are on your own in this forum. My personal mission here is done.

BUT when necessary, by way of ridicule and truth revelation we shalt do war.

--eeuunikkeiexpat

fraggle092

Post by fraggle092 » Thu May 10, 2018 11:15 pm

jehturner wrote:
Thu May 10, 2018 8:25 pm
MAC filtering isn't really a substitute for WPA2.
Didn't say it was. But no amount of encryption will stop passwords from getting shared, especially with kids in the family.
jehturner wrote:
It's not terribly difficult to spoof a MAC address
I run a Captive Portal with 5 Access Points. Completely open, rf-wise. The authentication is done via a webpage, in http, not even https. I have not seen one leecher who knows enough to snoop that traffic and recover a plaintext password, let alone spoofing mac addresses.

But I can tell when the neighbours have managed to persuade one of our employees to hand a password over. Big spike in traffic, multiple unaccounted-for users all using the same password (can set as many as I want). That's when I change passwords, and mac block the most persistent offenders. That stops them for a few months usually. But its not so much a problem as it used to be, prior to 4G phones.
Après moi, le déluge

thisisreallycomplicated

Post by thisisreallycomplicated » Thu May 10, 2018 11:16 pm

fraggle092 wrote:
Thu May 10, 2018 7:21 pm
If the wifi is on, you need mac filtering set to "allow only" Most routers have it these days.
Otherwise you get the leechers.
jehturner wrote:
MAC filtering isn't really a substitute for WPA2. It's not terribly difficult to spoof a MAC address, eg. after sniffing a bit of traffic. It would avoid people connecting to your network by mistake or *probably* the neighbours intentionally, but why run an unsecured access point anyway? In DD-WRT just go to the Wireless -> Wireless Security tab, set "Security mode" to "WPA2 Personal" and put in a password...
Everyone near me, including me, is using WPA2-PSK. So is there still any benefit to setting MAC filtering? Also, since I never use wifi anyway, is it possible to just turn it off? It's been a long time since I logged into my router, and I don't remember how to do it.
jehturner wrote:
VTR uses their own cables, so I don't think there's any reason in principle why you couldn't have both (it's not like they're sharing a phone line or something).
Thanks, that was my main concern. I didn't know if VTR and Claro shared any of the wiring coming into the house, or if they were completely separate.

thisisreallycomplicated

Post by thisisreallycomplicated » Thu May 10, 2018 11:23 pm

I don't need to combine 2 connections right now. But I have wondered if it was possible, in case I want move somewhere I can't get 1 connection that's fast enough.

thisisreallycomplicated

Post by thisisreallycomplicated » Thu May 10, 2018 11:26 pm

fraggle092 wrote:
Thu May 10, 2018 11:15 pm
But I can tell when the neighbours have managed to persuade one of our employees to hand a password over. Big spike in traffic, multiple unaccounted-for users. That's when I change passwords, and mac block the most persistent offenders. That stops them for a few months usually. But its not so much a problem as it used to be, prior to 4G phones.
Thanks, you just answered my previous question. I don't have that problem right now, but it does make sense.