Chile's Place in Latin America

Chile Investment, how to invest in Chile, what to watch out for when investing, economic issues, currency exchange in Chile, and more.
nwdiver

Re: Chile's Place in Latin America

Post by nwdiver » Thu May 17, 2018 2:05 pm

mem wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 11:16 am
mem wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 11:15 am
Came across this shocking article on China and what they are doing to combat radical islam. Cant believe there hasnt been more coverage on this. I've known about FG for a long time, but surprised the islamic world is not staging a full scale revolutuon against china, when they dont tolerate other things coming out of Europe.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/china/a ... mrn_rm=rta
1 million out of 1 billion people......drop in the bucket...

The Chinese know all about reeducation, remember the cultural revolution.....
It's all about the wine.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Thu May 17, 2018 4:47 pm

Hell they were doing "reducation" of muslims when i was there years ago. I had students at the unversity where i tought from western china. The official line was they were all han chinese, but everyone knew they were not. In fact it was kind of public running joke every time the official public line about all chinese being the same or being from one of the "official" ethnic groups came up in class that got giggles from both muslim and none-muslim students.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

Huelshoff

Post by Huelshoff » Thu May 17, 2018 5:19 pm

Just curious--what were you teaching?

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Thu May 17, 2018 6:39 pm

Huelshoff wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 5:19 pm
Just curious--what were you teaching?
all kinds of stuff. Writing, Philosophy, American history, computer science. My wife taught English courses and international law. We taught a joint grad course in public speaking and debate together. We were the only foreign teachers on a campus of like 30,000 students, so they told us we could teach just about anything we wanted, as long as we did it in English.

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

Huelshoff

Post by Huelshoff » Thu May 17, 2018 8:39 pm

Sounds interesting. I've taught Chinese students in the past, ten or more years ago. Did you have the Confusian "always repeat the great masters" problem, or are current Chinese students more intellectually independent?

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Fri May 18, 2018 11:21 am

Naaa, i spent the whole year "breaking" my students of the copy and past culture. Straight MLA writing guidlines like they would teach in a u.s. 101, 102 english class. Which basically you can copy, you just need to site the source. Most of them got it by the end of the year.

Britkid

Post by Britkid » Fri May 18, 2018 3:39 pm

mem wrote:
mem wrote:
Came across this shocking article on China and what they are doing to combat radical islam. Cant believe there hasnt been more coverage on this. I've known about FG for a long time, but surprised the islamic world is not staging a full scale revolutuon against china, when they dont tolerate other things coming out of Europe.
Thanks for this. I had no idea. Absolutely terrible.

What is FG?

I don't think muslims generally care that much about muslims in other countries. Iran and Iraq fought a war, Iran and Saudi Arabia are said to be fighting a cold war, Palestinians fighters were kicked out of Jordan in 1970s, Palestinian refugees were not allowed into or very accepted in other muslim countries... I expect that there are many other examples. I am not sure the "Islamic world" is that strong and united- with the possible exception of oil pricing. OK, maybe I'm getting a bit cynical now.

Also, as I said before China for all its evils internally, does not seem as aggressive externally. Unlike the UK, it did not invade Iraq, join with the Israelis to attack Egypt (Suez crisis), or overthrow a democratically elected government in Iran to suit its own purposes (1953). The UK, and also France and the US, is paying for some unpleasant history in the region and that, at least in part, is why Muslim intolerance is directed more at Europe. At least China stayed out of the Middle East itself. Muslims in China are a pretty distant issue for most of the Arab world, whereas UK/France/US involvement in Syria, is right at the heart of the middle east.

In the West, we have more of an international approach to issues, but many other countries are more nationalistic and in turn respect others' rights to do what they like in their own countries (even if it's horrible) as long as they don't do it elsewhere.

Muslim extremists don't care about these thousands of people being killed but someone draws a cartoon and they lose their shit. There's nothing logical about them. Some of them arguably seem to care more about attacks on Islam than attacks on muslims which is not a good state of affairs.
In 2014/2015 I blogged about my life in Chile. http://web.archive.org/web/201601121940 ... age_id=268

41southchile

Post by 41southchile » Fri May 18, 2018 5:14 pm

Britkid wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 3:39 pm
mem wrote:
mem wrote:
Thanks for this. I had no idea. Absolutely terrible.

What is FG?

I don't think muslims generally care that much about muslims in other countries. Iran and Iraq fought a war, Iran and Saudi Arabia are said to be fighting a cold war, Palestinians fighters were kicked out of Jordan in 1970s, Palestinian refugees were not allowed into or very accepted in other muslim countries... I expect that there are many other examples. I am not sure the "Islamic world" is that strong and united- with the possible exception of oil pricing. OK, maybe I'm getting a bit cynical now.

Also, as I said before China for all its evils internally, does not seem as aggressive externally. Unlike the UK, it did not invade Iraq, join with the Israelis to attack Egypt (Suez crisis), or overthrow a democratically elected government in Iran to suit its own purposes (1953). The UK, and also France and the US, is paying for some unpleasant history in the region and that, at least in part, is why Muslim intolerance is directed more at Europe. At least China stayed out of the Middle East itself. Muslims in China are a pretty distant issue for most of the Arab world, whereas UK/France/US involvement in Syria, is right at the heart of the middle east.

In the West, we have more of an international approach to issues, but many other countries are more nationalistic and in turn respect others' rights to do what they like in their own countries (even if it's horrible) as long as they don't do it elsewhere.

Muslim extremists don't care about these thousands of people being killed but someone draws a cartoon and they lose their shit. There's nothing logical about them. Some of them arguably seem to care more about attacks on Islam than attacks on muslims which is not a good state of affairs.
From what I can see the the Islamic world isn't really United due to the Sunni and the Shi'a issue they are more divided than Christians and Muslims in some ways, as well as of course natural power struggles with the Muslim world. There is little unity except when it comes to exporting muslim terrorists most of the time.

As for China there was an American general saying the other day that China controls the South China sea now due to the military bases they have built over the last few years, so yeah I don't think the Chinese are going to sit back and leave all their international investments and acquisitions over the last decade undefended so you may want to evaluate that China situation if it it feels someone is stepping into their patch in the world.

The west may "appear" international but it's just that , an illusion there is no grand United plan, but they are also very reluctant to get into things in other countries too, even when it's getting crazy, and only do eventually when their hand is force, Rawanda springs to mind.
In the Lakes Region Chile for 6 years. It looks like New Zealand in some ways, and is nearly at the bottom of the world too, but there the similarities end.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Wed May 23, 2018 9:22 am

So sort of back on topic.

Why the mining industry in argentina will never be a major industry again:

https://mobile.reuters.com/article/amp/idUSKCN1IO1IM

I have heard similar things about the diffrence between chile and peru. There was a survey of mining executives that said they seen much more opertunity in peru, but were imvesting in chile because it was more secure and stable.

Which makes me ignore all the pump and dump stock scams about how all those junior lithium play's in argentina are going to control the future of lithium. Some might survive, but they are never going to be a major factor for at least several decades.

at46

Post by at46 » Wed May 23, 2018 10:36 am

admin wrote:
Wed May 23, 2018 9:22 am
So sort of back on topic.

Why the mining industry in argentina will never be a major industry again:

https://mobile.reuters.com/article/amp/idUSKCN1IO1IM

I have heard similar things about the diffrence between chile and peru. There was a survey of mining executives that said they seen much more opertunity in peru, but were imvesting in chile because it was more secure and stable.

Which makes me ignore all the pump and dump stock scams about how all those junior lithium play's in argentina are going to control the future of lithium. Some might survive, but they are never going to be a major factor for at least several decades.
Geopolitically, Argentina is in the Russo-Sino block. The Russian Minister of Foreign Affairs Lavrov has just given a large interview to the Argie press confirming that the Macri government is still committed to the 'comprehensive strategic partnership' with Russia. Which is the same super high status as Russia's relations with China. That alone would explain the sudden change of sentiment towards Argentina in the Anglo sphere where they had obviously hoped for Macri to change sides, but no such luck.

Space Cat

Post by Space Cat » Wed May 23, 2018 10:59 am

at46 wrote:
Wed May 23, 2018 10:36 am
Geopolitically, Argentina is in the Russo-Sino block.
If this block existed beyond the imagination of the Western media, there would be some actions. China has ten times more trade with the US than with Russia. They almost never support Russia in the UN (including the Crimea affair). They didn't give Russian government money or any sort of help after a visit about a year ago (it was a big deal in the Russian news).

The block that really exists is assembled along the idea that Russians describe as "the State Department makes holes in our roads and urinates in our apartment entrance halls". In Latin America it includes at least Argentina, Bolivia, Venezuela, Nicaragua, and Cuba.

Huelshoff

Post by Huelshoff » Wed May 23, 2018 11:35 am

" In Latin America it includes at least Argentina, Bolivia, Venezuela, Nicaragua, and Cuba."

With friends like that, one doesn't need enemies.