Buying a car for 12mil without a bank account

Anything at all (keep it clean) goes here that does not fit in to any of the other forums.

Moderator: eeuunikkeiexpat

User avatar
admin
Site Admin
Posts: 16347
Joined: Sat Aug 26, 2006 11:02 pm
Location: Frutillar, Chile
Contact:

Re: Buying a car for 12mil without a bank account

Post by admin » Mon Aug 06, 2018 2:26 pm

The only time i have ever replaced a transmission, was on a ford ranger. Overheated and Died from very mild towing of a light trailer with grass in it. After that, never touching a ford again.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

User avatar
Space Cat
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 1164
Joined: Thu Dec 04, 2014 9:20 pm
Location: Valdivia

Re: Buying a car for 12mil without a bank account

Post by Space Cat » Wed Aug 08, 2018 12:08 pm

mem wrote:
Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:46 pm
I know about the valle vistas, but I understand you need an account with a bank to get a valle vista
BancoEstado issues vale vistas without an account there but if you bring over 5-6m, they will ask for documents explaining the funds' sources.

HybridAmbassador
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 3674
Joined: Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:19 pm

Re: Buying a car for 12mil without a bank account

Post by HybridAmbassador » Wed Aug 08, 2018 3:54 pm

Space Cat wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 12:08 pm
mem wrote:
Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:46 pm
I know about the valle vistas, but I understand you need an account with a bank to get a valle vista
BancoEstado issues vale vistas without an account there but if you bring over 5-6m, they will ask for documents explaining the funds' sources.
So you going for a Mazda instead of Toyota Corolla? Last time in Russia, every Russian I met he/her wishes for a car purchase brand and series of a car to hope/dream of buying came as Toyota Corolla.
HybridAmbassador. Toyota Hybrid system for helping climate change.

User avatar
Space Cat
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 1164
Joined: Thu Dec 04, 2014 9:20 pm
Location: Valdivia

Re: Buying a car for 12mil without a bank account

Post by Space Cat » Wed Aug 08, 2018 5:44 pm

HybridAmbassador wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 3:54 pm
So you going for a Mazda instead of Toyota Corolla? Last time in Russia, every Russian I met he/her wishes for a car purchase brand and series of a car to hope/dream of buying came as Toyota Corolla.
I wish Chile was covered with railroads and then I would never have to drive a car.

Gloria
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 4391
Joined: Sat Jan 20, 2007 12:30 pm
Location: Región de los Ríos

Re: Buying a car for 12mil without a bank account

Post by Gloria » Wed Aug 08, 2018 6:47 pm

Space Cat wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 5:44 pm
HybridAmbassador wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 3:54 pm
So you going for a Mazda instead of Toyota Corolla? Last time in Russia, every Russian I met he/her wishes for a car purchase brand and series of a car to hope/dream of buying came as Toyota Corolla.
I wish Chile was covered with railroads and then I would never have to drive a car.
Amén to that!
I'm from the generation of common sense, wisdom and unfiltered answers. I sayeth as I seeth.

mem
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 237
Joined: Tue Nov 24, 2015 11:18 am

Re: ford pulling out of south america

Post by mem » Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:15 pm

admin wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 2:22 pm
Thought of this thread when i seen this.

https://www.bloomberg.com/amp/news/arti ... -to-rivals

This would definitely be a reason to give me pause about buying a ford in chile, beyond my general dislike for american cars and the way they do biz.

Ford is shopping to sell its money loosing biz in south america.

You know somothing has gone wrong when you see toyota hilux on the street, with stickers on them to make them look like the raptor pickup truck. People like the look, but dont want to buy the vehical and that is one of their high-end pickups.
Yeah, I am really baffled by all the love that Ford, Chevrolet, and Dodge get in region 9.

Ford - I don't know what it is but the Ford Rangers, Ford F150's, and those eco suv's are really common.
Chevrolet - Mostly the cars and as someone posted an article recently, somehow, someway Chevrolets are one of the most popular selling brands
Dodge - There seems to be a ton of Dodge Ram 2500 trucks out there for sale and cheap I might add...even for a Diesel Automatic, which normally adds 10mil CLP ontop of the cost of a vehicle (for it to be diesel automatic versus a bencina manual)

I can only chalk up the love for these brands to the typical "Wannabe North American" mentality? Have they actually gotten close to parity with reliability of Japanese/German engineering and I am behind the times? Somehow the common knowledge that american brands are generally not as reliable as Japanese or German cars doesn't seem to have caught on on this continent yet...at least that is what I have believed for decades.

mem
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 237
Joined: Tue Nov 24, 2015 11:18 am

Re: Buying a car for 12mil without a bank account

Post by mem » Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:28 pm

Space Cat wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 12:08 pm
mem wrote:
Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:46 pm
I know about the valle vistas, but I understand you need an account with a bank to get a valle vista
BancoEstado issues vale vistas without an account there but if you bring over 5-6m, they will ask for documents explaining the funds' sources.
That was what I was originally concerned about. I guess I could show my photo album of ATM withdrawal receipts? That may not cut the mustard with them though. In the past when I bought some stuff with large amounts of cash via cash deposit into the bank, the vendor asked me to fill out a form that basically was just my signature, my passport number, and a line where I was to write in the "source of the funds" which each time has always been "salaries". that seemed to be fine for the vendor and wasn't too much of a hassle. It might have been the kind of thing where the vendor just wanted a document on file from me in case the KYC/AML compliance people come a calling to him. A major bank might be different.

I will need to do the vale vista. My purchase has been slowboated, since I am stuck in tramite waiting for my new visa to be issued, so all I have is my expired carnet and I know I cant buy a vehicle with my RUN if I show the notary an expired carnet. Wish I had gotten a second vehicle before my last carnet expired, derr....

To add to all that, my wife is now wanting an SUV instead of a car or truck (she thinks the SUV's are heavier and therefor safer and wants a covered trunk with access from the cabin...and the kicker is she wants a diesel automatic 4x4. Surprisingly few options if you want to avoid a Kia/Hyundai (south korean) SUV. Toyota actually doesn't have any on the market EXCEPT for an AWESOME new Fortuner, that I think they just started selling in 2018. Diesel Automatic, 4x4, great mileage, optional 3rd row of seating, and the Toyota quality....all for the low low price of 28million CLP.

Then I see a ton of the Mercedes ML and GLK SUV's in the 12-14mil range that are also diesel automatic and AWD. The only way to get those diesel automatic 4x4 features for less money is to get a car (like a peugeot) or bite the bullet and buy south korean/chinese which I am just not sure I want to do.

at46
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 493
Joined: Fri Sep 20, 2013 6:13 pm
Location: Vancouver/Santiago

Re: Buying a car for 12mil without a bank account

Post by at46 » Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:29 pm

HybridAmbassador wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 3:54 pm
Space Cat wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 12:08 pm
mem wrote:
Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:46 pm
I know about the valle vistas, but I understand you need an account with a bank to get a valle vista
BancoEstado issues vale vistas without an account there but if you bring over 5-6m, they will ask for documents explaining the funds' sources.
So you going for a Mazda instead of Toyota Corolla? Last time in Russia, every Russian I met he/her wishes for a car purchase brand and series of a car to hope/dream of buying came as Toyota Corolla.
It's Mercury retrograde right now till September 9th or something? Which makes all issues related to transportation confused. I'm sure that's the only reason someone would ever wanna get a Mazda over a Corolla. Let alone a Gol/f. :lol:

at46
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 493
Joined: Fri Sep 20, 2013 6:13 pm
Location: Vancouver/Santiago

Re: Buying a car for 12mil without a bank account

Post by at46 » Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:47 pm

mem wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:28 pm
Space Cat wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 12:08 pm
mem wrote:
Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:46 pm
I know about the valle vistas, but I understand you need an account with a bank to get a valle vista
BancoEstado issues vale vistas without an account there but if you bring over 5-6m, they will ask for documents explaining the funds' sources.
That was what I was originally concerned about. I guess I could show my photo album of ATM withdrawal receipts? That may not cut the mustard with them though. In the past when I bought some stuff with large amounts of cash via cash deposit into the bank, the vendor asked me to fill out a form that basically was just my signature, my passport number, and a line where I was to write in the "source of the funds" which each time has always been "salaries". that seemed to be fine for the vendor and wasn't too much of a hassle. It might have been the kind of thing where the vendor just wanted a document on file from me in case the KYC/AML compliance people come a calling to him. A major bank might be different.

I will need to do the vale vista. My purchase has been slowboated, since I am stuck in tramite waiting for my new visa to be issued, so all I have is my expired carnet and I know I cant buy a vehicle with my RUN if I show the notary an expired carnet. Wish I had gotten a second vehicle before my last carnet expired, derr....

To add to all that, my wife is now wanting an SUV instead of a car or truck (she thinks the SUV's are heavier and therefor safer and wants a covered trunk with access from the cabin...and the kicker is she wants a diesel automatic 4x4. Surprisingly few options if you want to avoid a Kia/Hyundai (south korean) SUV. Toyota actually doesn't have any on the market EXCEPT for an AWESOME new Fortuner, that I think they just started selling in 2018. Diesel Automatic, 4x4, great mileage, optional 3rd row of seating, and the Toyota quality....all for the low low price of 28million CLP.

Then I see a ton of the Mercedes ML and GLK SUV's in the 12-14mil range that are also diesel automatic and AWD. The only way to get those diesel automatic 4x4 features for less money is to get a car (like a peugeot) or bite the bullet and buy south korean/chinese which I am just not sure I want to do.
This little beauty maybe? http://www.mitsubishi-motors.cl/vehicul ... -4-diesel/
One sturdy vehicle with the best diesel growl in the business.
Also Volvo XC60 and Subaru Outback.

mem
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 237
Joined: Tue Nov 24, 2015 11:18 am

Re: Buying a car for 12mil without a bank account

Post by mem » Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:53 pm

at46 wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:47 pm
mem wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:28 pm
Space Cat wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 12:08 pm
mem wrote:
Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:46 pm
I know about the valle vistas, but I understand you need an account with a bank to get a valle vista
BancoEstado issues vale vistas without an account there but if you bring over 5-6m, they will ask for documents explaining the funds' sources.
That was what I was originally concerned about. I guess I could show my photo album of ATM withdrawal receipts? That may not cut the mustard with them though. In the past when I bought some stuff with large amounts of cash via cash deposit into the bank, the vendor asked me to fill out a form that basically was just my signature, my passport number, and a line where I was to write in the "source of the funds" which each time has always been "salaries". that seemed to be fine for the vendor and wasn't too much of a hassle. It might have been the kind of thing where the vendor just wanted a document on file from me in case the KYC/AML compliance people come a calling to him. A major bank might be different.

I will need to do the vale vista. My purchase has been slowboated, since I am stuck in tramite waiting for my new visa to be issued, so all I have is my expired carnet and I know I cant buy a vehicle with my RUN if I show the notary an expired carnet. Wish I had gotten a second vehicle before my last carnet expired, derr....

To add to all that, my wife is now wanting an SUV instead of a car or truck (she thinks the SUV's are heavier and therefor safer and wants a covered trunk with access from the cabin...and the kicker is she wants a diesel automatic 4x4. Surprisingly few options if you want to avoid a Kia/Hyundai (south korean) SUV. Toyota actually doesn't have any on the market EXCEPT for an AWESOME new Fortuner, that I think they just started selling in 2018. Diesel Automatic, 4x4, great mileage, optional 3rd row of seating, and the Toyota quality....all for the low low price of 28million CLP.

Then I see a ton of the Mercedes ML and GLK SUV's in the 12-14mil range that are also diesel automatic and AWD. The only way to get those diesel automatic 4x4 features for less money is to get a car (like a peugeot) or bite the bullet and buy south korean/chinese which I am just not sure I want to do.
This little beauty maybe? http://www.mitsubishi-motors.cl/vehicul ... -4-diesel/
One sturdy vehicle with the best diesel growl in the business.
Also Volvo XC60 and Subaru Outback.
Ah yes, thanks, those are good recommendations. I had overlooked the Mitsubishi Monteros...there are quite a few for sale as well as the Swedish Volvos XC's. I will need to look closer at those. I won't get brand new because of the sheer obscene premium but something just a few years old could be a good value

User avatar
admin
Site Admin
Posts: 16347
Joined: Sat Aug 26, 2006 11:02 pm
Location: Frutillar, Chile
Contact:

Re: Buying a car for 12mil without a bank account

Post by admin » Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:05 am


....
Then I see a ton of the Mercedes ML and GLK SUV's in the 12-14mil range that are also diesel automatic and AWD. The only way to get those diesel automatic 4x4 features for less money is to get a car (like a peugeot) or bite the bullet and buy south korean/chinese which I am just not sure I want to do.
I have no problem with my hyundai.

I have a 2008 diesel hyundai tuscon 4x4 automatic, 140,000km, bought it second hand from a grand mother at 60,000 km like 6 years ago. Paid 8 million for it, and they still sell for 6-7 million.

Crazy cheap to drive. I have nearly run out of diesel because i forget to fill it up. If i dont take a drive out of town, 20,000 pesos will get me through the month.

Besides normal replacment of consumables like tires, timing belt, battery, i just recently had to replace the alternator. 10 years and one kinda sorta major part, is pretty reliable in my book. Even the alternator i kind of would consider a consumable after 10 years.

You look around the roads and they are still one of the most common vehicals in chile at about that year. I often will see 3 or more parked in any parking lot in the south. The 2017 tuscon was recently rated the most reliable car by jd powers in its second year of ownership, so the koreans seem to be serious about building a reputation for reliability.

The only complaint is the cosmetic stuff. Plastic scratches, paint could be thicker, but i am not that careful with it either. It is basically my campo car for hauling stuff, including my dogs.

The 4x4 drive also has taken me places no stock cross over should be asked to go in the south without a complaint, and towed more than a few cars that were not able to keep up. I don't hesitate to drive it in the worse conditions in the south (ice, snow, rain, mud) or remote places off road. Just my toyota jeep is a lot more fun, and modified for offroading. So the hyundai gets left at home now, even though i have little doubt it could handle most offroad conditions i might encounter about 90% of the time.

So, i am totaly a fan of the hyundai SUVs. I almost bought a new one last year to replace the one i have, except the one i have wont quit. Which creates a vicious circle of wanting a new one, because the old one was so reliable, which just makes me want a new one more.

If i ever do it, i would probably get the Santa fe as they are slightly bigger and i believe they have a third row of seats in the back.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

at46
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 493
Joined: Fri Sep 20, 2013 6:13 pm
Location: Vancouver/Santiago

Re: Buying a car for 12mil without a bank account

Post by at46 » Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:51 pm

Some Wranglers and Cherokees come with diesel here as well.

Post Reply