Buying a car for 12mil without a bank account

Anything at all (keep it clean) goes here that does not fit in to any of the other forums.

Moderator: eeuunikkeiexpat

at46
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 541
Joined: Fri Sep 20, 2013 6:13 pm
Location: Vancouver/Santiago

Re: Buying a car for 12mil without a bank account

Post by at46 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:28 pm

nwdiver wrote:
Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:58 pm
Been driving a Smart electric all summer, I want one in Chile.......it's the opposite of big is safer...monocoque egg shape, if you are hit it's pushed or rolls away......always wear your seat belt......sometimes tiny is good.
I don't know about that. One of my employees had one of these in Canada and I was never sure she'd show up for work in the morning. Here's an enlightening video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mnI-LiKCtuE

User avatar
Space Cat
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 1199
Joined: Thu Dec 04, 2014 9:20 pm
Location: Valdivia

Re: Buying a car for 12mil without a bank account

Post by Space Cat » Thu Jul 19, 2018 2:39 am

at46 wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:09 pm
manivel43 wrote:
Sun Jul 08, 2018 11:32 pm
Anything good about VW polo ?
It's a good car, fits a tall driver, fast touch screen, drives nice with a 115 hp engine and AT6 on 15 inch wheels, 6.7 liters per 100 km real fuel consumption in city.

A bit noisy, the AT is jerky in slow traffic and the LED low beam doesn't go out as much as you'd want.

I'd be concerned about availability of spare parts in case something breaks down. Waiting 5 weeks till some part gets here from Europe is not fun. Also, the availability of service centers outside of Santiago - dealers are expensive while the one and only independent VW mechanic here in Vina has a weird vibe.
Mind that Chilean VW Polo is a stripped down LatAm version assembled in Brazil. If you want a real VW, get a Golf because it's made in Mexico for the global market.

I'm also in the process of finding a nice B-class and there's actually very little choice. Skoda would be cool if it wasn't so unpopular, I've barely seen any here. Otherwise it's Suzuki Swift (Indian nowadays), Mazda 2, VW Polo, Kia Rio, Hyundai Accent, Peugeot 208, Renault Clio, Citroen C3. The Korean and French options are overpriced for what they offer.

User avatar
manivel43
Rank: Chile Forum Tourist
Posts: 22
Joined: Wed May 02, 2018 5:50 am

Re: Buying a car for 12mil without a bank account

Post by manivel43 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:03 am

Space Cat wrote:
Thu Jul 19, 2018 2:39 am
at46 wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:09 pm
manivel43 wrote:
Sun Jul 08, 2018 11:32 pm
Anything good about VW polo ?
It's a good car, fits a tall driver, fast touch screen, drives nice with a 115 hp engine and AT6 on 15 inch wheels, 6.7 liters per 100 km real fuel consumption in city.

A bit noisy, the AT is jerky in slow traffic and the LED low beam doesn't go out as much as you'd want.

I'd be concerned about availability of spare parts in case something breaks down. Waiting 5 weeks till some part gets here from Europe is not fun. Also, the availability of service centers outside of Santiago - dealers are expensive while the one and only independent VW mechanic here in Vina has a weird vibe.
Mind that Chilean VW Polo is a stripped down LatAm version assembled in Brazil. If you want a real VW, get a Golf because it's made in Mexico for the global market.

I'm also in the process of finding a nice B-class and there's actually very little choice. Skoda would be cool if it wasn't so unpopular, I've barely seen any here. Otherwise it's Suzuki Swift (Indian nowadays), Mazda 2, VW Polo, Kia Rio, Hyundai Accent, Peugeot 208, Renault Clio, Citroen C3. The Korean and French options are overpriced for what they offer.

I was talking to a service representative from one of the reputed dealers yesterday and after some friendly convo with him, he recommended me to go for a Hyundai accent, considering its reliability, maintenance cost and fuel consumption. Initially he suggested few cars. Hyundai accent,Elantra, Tucson, Toyota Yaris, corolla, Rush are few among them. But then when i told him my budget will not be more than 10 Million CLP, then he suggested Accent.

The only concern i have is, he is a dealer for both toyota and hyundai. Is that the reason why he recommended me to buy a hyundai, so he is convincing me to buy from their shop ? or is it really a good model to buy ?

at46
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 541
Joined: Fri Sep 20, 2013 6:13 pm
Location: Vancouver/Santiago

Re: Buying a car for 12mil without a bank account

Post by at46 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:37 am

manivel43 wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:03 am
Space Cat wrote:
Thu Jul 19, 2018 2:39 am
at46 wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:09 pm
manivel43 wrote:
Sun Jul 08, 2018 11:32 pm
Anything good about VW polo ?
It's a good car, fits a tall driver, fast touch screen, drives nice with a 115 hp engine and AT6 on 15 inch wheels, 6.7 liters per 100 km real fuel consumption in city.

A bit noisy, the AT is jerky in slow traffic and the LED low beam doesn't go out as much as you'd want.

I'd be concerned about availability of spare parts in case something breaks down. Waiting 5 weeks till some part gets here from Europe is not fun. Also, the availability of service centers outside of Santiago - dealers are expensive while the one and only independent VW mechanic here in Vina has a weird vibe.
Mind that Chilean VW Polo is a stripped down LatAm version assembled in Brazil. If you want a real VW, get a Golf because it's made in Mexico for the global market.

I'm also in the process of finding a nice B-class and there's actually very little choice. Skoda would be cool if it wasn't so unpopular, I've barely seen any here. Otherwise it's Suzuki Swift (Indian nowadays), Mazda 2, VW Polo, Kia Rio, Hyundai Accent, Peugeot 208, Renault Clio, Citroen C3. The Korean and French options are overpriced for what they offer.

I was talking to a service representative from one of the reputed dealers yesterday and after some friendly convo with him, he recommended me to go for a Hyundai accent, considering its reliability, maintenance cost and fuel consumption. Initially he suggested few cars. Hyundai accent,Elantra, Tucson, Toyota Yaris, corolla, Rush are few among them. But then when i told him my budget will not be more than 10 Million CLP, then he suggested Accent.

The only concern i have is, he is a dealer for both toyota and hyundai. Is that the reason why he recommended me to buy a hyundai, so he is convincing me to buy from their shop ? or is it really a good model to buy ?
check out these crash test videos:

Hyundai Accent https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7b5Ua5W-0gs
Peugeot 208: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQ1EzOxi-Fo
Kia Rio: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZJH7bbW720
VW Gol: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMXQzdzU81U
Toyota Yaris: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hDcGCdcplYg
Citroen C3 Aircross: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aAU4pKVb6SM

And maybe get something French?

User avatar
Space Cat
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 1199
Joined: Thu Dec 04, 2014 9:20 pm
Location: Valdivia

Re: Buying a car for 12mil without a bank account

Post by Space Cat » Fri Jul 20, 2018 2:43 am

VW Gol (not Golf!) is a LatAm-only car assembled in Brazil. Absolutely not recommended for at least safety reasons.

Mind that EU and US crash tests are often not relevant because even if the car was built at the same factory, the LatAm configurations can be different (for example, less airbags).

After a boring two-day market research, I think I'll go with Mazda 2 Sport just because it's the best ≈10mln hatchback option in Chile based on the included features, safety, and online reviews (it's the global version built in Mexico, so even UK reviews count). It's kind of small but I'm not big either and don't plan to carry firewood in the trunk.

User avatar
manivel43
Rank: Chile Forum Tourist
Posts: 22
Joined: Wed May 02, 2018 5:50 am

Re: Buying a car for 12mil without a bank account

Post by manivel43 » Sat Jul 21, 2018 12:20 pm

Hi,

What is the requirement for buying a car in chile ? i will be arriving there next month in tech visa. will i be eligible to buy a new or second hand car with my tech visa, provided i manage to get an RUT there ?

Some people tell me that only a permanent Resident visa will be able to buy a car. i am kinda confused with the different type of information available around.

User avatar
admin
Site Admin
Posts: 16555
Joined: Sat Aug 26, 2006 11:02 pm
Location: Frutillar, Chile
Contact:

Re: Buying a car for 12mil without a bank account

Post by admin » Sat Jul 21, 2018 1:34 pm

You only need a temporary rut for foreigners to buy a car.

The catch with that is, you need a resident or citizen to act as your representive before the irs. Essentially, they need to know how to reach you.

If buying used, check the papers and registration. Lot of stolen cars and false papers floating around. Also make sure all tge debts including highway tag is paid.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

User avatar
manivel43
Rank: Chile Forum Tourist
Posts: 22
Joined: Wed May 02, 2018 5:50 am

Re: Buying a car for 12mil without a bank account

Post by manivel43 » Sat Jul 21, 2018 3:48 pm

Do i still need a guarantor in case if i am buying the car with full cash payment?
without any installments

at46
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 541
Joined: Fri Sep 20, 2013 6:13 pm
Location: Vancouver/Santiago

Re: Buying a car for 12mil without a bank account

Post by at46 » Sat Jul 21, 2018 4:08 pm

manivel43 wrote:
Sat Jul 21, 2018 3:48 pm
Do i still need a guarantor in case if i am buying the car with full cash payment?
without any installments
I think you cannot obtain your tourist RUT without the guarantor, so...

User avatar
eeuunikkeiexpat
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 7255
Joined: Fri Sep 01, 2006 1:38 am
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Re: Buying a car for 12mil without a bank account

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Sat Jul 21, 2018 7:14 pm

manivel43 wrote:
Sat Jul 21, 2018 12:20 pm
i will be arriving there next month in tech visa.
Dude, you will getting a REAL resident's RUT (technically a RUN) with what I suppose is a "Professional''s" visa. No need to add extra bureaucracy with a tourist's RUT that will be invalid once your resident's RUT is activated.
Generally, just a SPAM KILLER. You are on your own in this forum. My personal mission here is done.

BUT when necessary, by way of ridicule and truth revelation we shalt do war.

--eeuunikkeiexpat

User avatar
admin
Site Admin
Posts: 16555
Joined: Sat Aug 26, 2006 11:02 pm
Location: Frutillar, Chile
Contact:

Re: Buying a car for 12mil without a bank account

Post by admin » Sat Jul 21, 2018 7:44 pm

Yea the temporary rut for foreigners is ONLY for someine without a visa of some other type.

Your regular RUT number is all that is required.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

User avatar
admin
Site Admin
Posts: 16555
Joined: Sat Aug 26, 2006 11:02 pm
Location: Frutillar, Chile
Contact:

ford pulling out of south america

Post by admin » Mon Aug 06, 2018 2:22 pm

Thought of this thread when i seen this.

https://www.bloomberg.com/amp/news/arti ... -to-rivals

This would definitly be a reason to give me pause about buying a ford in chile, beyond my general dislike for american cars and the way they do biz.

Ford is shopping to sell its money loosing biz in south america.

You know somothing has gone wrong when you see toyota hilux on the street, with stickers on them to make them look like the raptor pickup truck. People like the look, but dont want to buy the vehical and that is one of their high-end pickups.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

Post Reply