Buying a car for 12mil without a bank account

Anything at all (keep it clean) goes here that does not fit in to any of the other forums.

Moderator: eeuunikkeiexpat

mem

Buying a car for 12mil without a bank account

Post by mem » Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:46 pm

Lets say i dont have a bank account and want to buy a car for 12mil from either a private owner or a dealership
I have cash from ATM withdrawals in 12 rolls of 20k x 50 notes

What is the best way to do this? I assume giving the cash to the seller will be somewhat inconvenient as counting it without a bank machine that does the counting is tedious

I know about the valle vistas, but I understand you need an account with a bank to get a valle vista

Any advice on what to do or what is typical for people facing this type of situation?
Thanks

thisisreallycomplicated

Re: Buying a car for 12mil without a bank account

Post by thisisreallycomplicated » Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:25 pm

Does the seller have an account that you can deposit into? I pay my rent that way, and the bank people use one of those cash counting machines. I think it's a pretty common way to do things here.
“Now it’s conspiracy – they’ve made that something that should not even be entertained for a minute, that powerful people might get together and have a plan. Doesn’t happen, you’re a kook, you’re a conspiracy buff!” – George Carlin

mem

Post by mem » Tue May 01, 2018 12:26 am

thisisreallycomplicated wrote:
Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:25 pm
Does the seller have an account that you can deposit into? I pay my rent that way, and the bank people use one of those cash counting machines. I think it's a pretty common way to do things here.
Yes, i pay rent the same way and i am sure any private seller or dealer seller will have a bank account...the only concerns I have are 1) if the bank will freak out about such a large cash deposit. Ive never deposited more than 3 million in someone elses account.
2) what is the right order of steps...go the notary first for the sale and then go to the bank for the deposit. I wouldnt want to deposit the cash in the sellers account without some guaruntee the guy is actually going to follow through with the sale and not just take off with my money in his account

thisisreallycomplicated

Post by thisisreallycomplicated » Tue May 01, 2018 1:46 am

mem wrote:
Tue May 01, 2018 12:26 am
I wouldnt want to deposit the cash in the sellers account without some guaruntee the guy is actually going to follow through with the sale and not just take off with my money in his account
Yeah, I thought about that one too. Is it possible to make the sale contigent on your deposit? That way, you could sign some sales documents, but they wouldn't be valid until you made the deposit. Or maybe it's already implied, that if you don't pay, the contract is void? Sounds like a question for a Chilean lawyer.
“Now it’s conspiracy – they’ve made that something that should not even be entertained for a minute, that powerful people might get together and have a plan. Doesn’t happen, you’re a kook, you’re a conspiracy buff!” – George Carlin

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Tue May 01, 2018 7:58 am

That is not that much cash. People make big cash deposits all the time larger than that. Hang out in front of a bank, and you will see people with bags of cash coming and going.

I've bought cars with cash before, and even properties. Kind of a hassle logistically, but possible. Hardest part is it makes me nervious to be walking around with that much cash. Don't mention you have it to anyone.

That said, take cash to notary or civil registery. Sign purchase agreement, hand over cash.

We have also had clients call their bank to get a one time boost on their credit card / atm card to buy a car at a dealership. A lot of dealersbips in chile also have accounts in the u.s., so we have done direct transfers to them in dollars from other u.s. accounts. Check with the dealerships when shopping to see if they can work that out.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

Gloria

Post by Gloria » Tue May 01, 2018 9:29 am

mem wrote:
Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:46 pm
I know about the valle vistas, but I understand you need an account with a bank to get a valle vista

Here´s your answer! It applies to all banks.
¿Cómo solicitar la emisión de un vale vista?
Se solicitan de forma presencial en cualquier sucursal de Bci. La emisión de un Vale Vista pueden realizarla clientes y no clientes de Bci, con Cédula de Identidad Vigente y disponer de los fondos necesarios para cubrir el monto total del documento.

Do not carry large amounts to buy a car or anything else. Get a vale vista = certified check !!

Unidad 1. EL VALE VISTA
EL VALE VISTA
1.- cuando se necesita disponer de una gran cantidad de dinero en efectivo,
Sin la necesidad de llevarla físicamente, existe el vale vista.
Representa un valor cierto tanto para quien paga como para el que recibe. Es
Absolutamente seguro, ya que los bancos solo emiten vale vista si el dinero esta
“a la vista”, es decir físicamente disponible en una cuenta corriente, cuenta vista
es decir, físicamente disponible en una cuenta corriente, cuenta vista o efectivo.
Quien recibe el vale vista puede cobrarlo de inmediato, para lo cual tiene dos
Opciones:
· Cobrarlo por caja en cualquier sucursal del país del banco que emitió
El documento.
· Depositarlo en su cuenta corriente o cuenta vista.

Los vales vista se pueden emitir en dos formas:
· A la orden: Se completa el nombre del beneficiado del documento y queda abierta
La posibilidad de que él endose (transfiera) el documento a favor de una tercera
Persona.
· Nominativo: Aparece individualizado el beneficio del documento y tachada la glosa
“A la orden de”. Esto significa que sólo el beneficiario identificado en el documento
Puede cobrar el dinero.
Bancos que lo ofrecen de Chile, Banco Estado, Chile, BCI, etc.
Datos para tener en cuenta
· Un vale vista puede ser comprado en cualquier banco.
· Es un instrumento muy seguro para transportar grandes sumas de dinero.
· El costo del trámite es variable, de acuerdo al banco del que se trate.
· Nadie más que la persona o entidad que indica el documento puede cobrar
Un vale vista, previa presentación de la cédula de identidad o endoso.

El “vale a la vista” o “vale vista” es un documento que representa dinero en efectivo
Y son emitidos en instrucciones financieras por cuenta de clientes o terceras personas.

Creación: para originarlo hay que pagarlo en efectivo a la institución financiera, o bien
Se descuenta de la cuenta corriente o en otra forma de depósito a la vista que se tenga
Este se origina en el instante en que se solicita.

Duración: 3 años, después pasa a una cuenta especial del banco “cuenta remanente”
Donde queda inmovilizado por 5 años (el cliente puede cobrar el vale vista con autorización De fiscalia). Después de estos 5 años el dinero pasa a las arcas fiscales para efectos sociales.

Comisión: en general los bancos no cobran comisión a sus cuenta correntista pr originar un
Vale vista, pero a los que no son cuenta correntista del bancos, se les cobra una comisión
Que fluctúa, desde 0.08 UF + IVA hasta 0.43 UF + IVA, aproximadamente.

Destino: pueden extenderse, fundamentalmente, en dos formas distintas :
A favor de un del mismo tomador, a un representante legal o mandatario de él.
A favor de un tercero.
Pérdida: si se pierde hay que avisar al banco.
I'm from the generation of common sense, wisdom and unfiltered answers. I sayeth as I seeth.

Gloria

Post by Gloria » Tue May 01, 2018 9:42 am

admin wrote:
Tue May 01, 2018 7:58 am
That said, take cash to notary or civil registery. Sign purchase agreement, hand over cash.
Say what??? Sure, they´ll take the money and you´ll never see it again.
I'm from the generation of common sense, wisdom and unfiltered answers. I sayeth as I seeth.

Britkid

Post by Britkid » Tue May 01, 2018 12:18 pm

I bought a car for about 5 million. We did all the documentation first. After all the documents were in my name, I gave the cash.

A possible way to do that would be that in the office where the ownership transaction process is completed, they should have a private room where buyer and seller sit down. The buyer could hand the cash to the official - who should explain it will stay on the table and never go out of sight. The seller could have over the keys to the official. The official would check this and pass on both while also handing over the ownership documents. I was going to ask them to do something like this if it came down to it, but I doubt it would work well or is how they normally do this. They really should charge a fee and provide this service.

Don't tell anyone that you have the cash. It is safe to walk around carrying cash. As long as no-one knows.
In 2014/2015 I blogged about my life in Chile. http://web.archive.org/web/201601121940 ... age_id=268

manivel43

Post by manivel43 » Wed Jul 04, 2018 2:05 pm

Guys, sorry to dig this thread.
May i please ask what is the car negotiation procedure in chile ?

I am planning to buy a brand new car and I understand that every brand has their list price with brand discount and financing bonus discount that are mentioned in their respective website. But will i be able to negotiate further if i try ? Or is it the the chilean dealers do not entertain negotiating at all?

HybridAmbassador

Post by HybridAmbassador » Wed Jul 04, 2018 2:49 pm

manivel43 wrote:
Wed Jul 04, 2018 2:05 pm
Guys, sorry to dig this thread.
May i please ask what is the car negotiation procedure in chile ?

I am planning to buy a brand new car and I understand that every brand has their list price with brand discount and financing bonus discount that are mentioned in their respective website. But will i be able to negotiate further if i try ? Or is it the the chilean dealers do not entertain negotiating at all?

Negotiating for a discount on a car purchase is universal. However don't know if how much sliding from the asking price you would get from a Chilean dealership. The best chance you might find a better than other brands discount is if targeting for less popular brands.
HybridAmbassador. Toyota Hybrid system for helping climate change.

scandinavian

Post by scandinavian » Wed Jul 04, 2018 3:01 pm

If you can wait until a bit closer to 1st of September, then you should be able to negotiate a decent discount on a 2018 model (as cars sold after 1/9 are 2019) models. Need to look around a bit and find a dealer that has some models left that have already been registered. I still have not seen a financing bonus that is worth it. Normally they charge ridiculous interest rate in the area of 2% / month.

HybridAmbassador

Post by HybridAmbassador » Wed Jul 04, 2018 3:02 pm

I just sent another Toyota Camry Hybrid to my friend in Santiasco. He came a few months ago and I went with him to one of my Toyota dealership I know of and got him a deal that he was astonished to find that the price from MSRP or manufacturer's suggested retail price down to way back of that car's "invoice? ! No tax paid since that vehicle destination is to Chile. The shipping Roll on to Roll off destination San Antonio came to US$1800. he also wanted to customize interior leather upholstery to all red, came to US$1098, of course at "invoice" price from my friend the owner of Coach Automotive re-styling of California. The original leather that came with the car were shipped in the car's boot but praying that the Chilean custom won't levy too hefty duty ? Oh the price of this vehicle total came to thousands of Dollars less including all shipping plus the tax imposed on the same vehicle as if my friend had gotten it in Chile.. So in most cases when purchasing a brand new vehicle it beats for its purchase done in CA instead of Chile.
HybridAmbassador. Toyota Hybrid system for helping climate change.