Do widows need copy of marriage certificate for banking?

Anything related to legal issues, immigration, problems, regulations, tax issues, or any other law or legal related problem in Chile. Moderated By A Chilean Attorney.

Moderator: Zvalenzuela

acantha

Do widows need copy of marriage certificate for banking?

Post by acantha » Sat Apr 28, 2018 11:54 pm

Hi there,
I posted a POA question earlier, and got some great replies, so here goes again.
Helping my mom get together documents she will need in Chile to claim her share of her father's inheritance.
My father has passed away, and I have gotten the death certificate and the Apostille for it.
My aunt now tells me I also need to find the marriage certificate because widows are not allowed
to claim any money or open bank accounts without it? She said the bank will demand it.
Is this true?
Also do I need to get all the documents certified at the Chilean embassy also before we go to Chile?
Many thanks!

admin
Site Admin

Re: Do widows need copy of marriage certificate for banking?

Post by admin » Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:54 am

Depends under what marriage regime they were married.

Most legacy restrictions in the older regimes related to women's rights to own and control property without their husband authorization have been eliminated by other laws, and there is a debate in congress to convert all marriages to total seperation of assets regime or one of the more modern marriage regimes.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

Donnybrook

Re: Do widows need copy of marriage certificate for banking?

Post by Donnybrook » Sun Apr 29, 2018 4:04 pm

Best to get it. The more legal docs you have the better. I both closed an account, although I was named on it and not the primary, and opened my own as a widow. I just had to prove sufficient income to qualify. Not your situation but different banks have different requirements - and different people within those banks do too! It is easier in the long run to have it and not need it than the reverse. Only present notarised copies when requested and hang on to the original.