Car accident involving carabineros

Anything related to legal issues, immigration, problems, regulations, tax issues, or any other law or legal related problem in Chile. Moderated By A Chilean Attorney.

Moderator: Zvalenzuela

st130811

Car accident involving carabineros

Post by st130811 » Wed Apr 25, 2018 12:04 am

Earlier this evening my car was hit by a patrulla. It was clearly their fault. The damage is fairly minor. They reiterated several times that they couldn't ask me for money, but suggested amounts that would likely cover it. I, of course, did not offer anything. I don't mess with bribes. They did not make an official report as far as I know but did take my info so that I could go to a taller with them tomorrow and pay for the repair. They did let their sargent know, and he is the one I am supposed to meet tomorrow.
Any advice?

Gloria

Re: Car accident involving carabineros

Post by Gloria » Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:05 am

st130811 wrote:
Wed Apr 25, 2018 12:04 am
Earlier this evening my car was hit by a patrulla. It was clearly their fault. The damage is fairly minor. They reiterated several times that they couldn't ask me for money, but suggested amounts that would likely cover it. I, of course, did not offer anything. I don't mess with bribes. They did not make an official report as far as I know but did take my info so that I could go to a taller with them tomorrow and pay for the repair. They did let their sargent know, and he is the one I am supposed to meet tomorrow.
Any advice?
Take lots of pics or video of the damages and get a hold of a witness or more (full address, phone # etc).
I'm from the generation of common sense, wisdom and unfiltered answers. I sayeth as I seeth.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:37 am

Get a lawyer.

Get a full documented report.

Anything out of official channels has the potential to turn in to criminal charges (for everyone involved).

Everyone has insurance, why the hell would anyone mess with trying to cheap it out?

One thing if you have a parking lot ding with a soccer mom. Total other thing with the police. There is a long, long list of procedures that must be followed for transparency reasons, apart from a typical accident.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

HybridAmbassador

Post by HybridAmbassador » Wed Apr 25, 2018 3:16 pm

st130811 wrote:
Wed Apr 25, 2018 12:04 am
Any advice?
If that incident was the "patrulleros" fault, why in hell you have to go meet them in the repair garage and you forking the money for repair?
Well, if in the court, their word against yours so they win? Like the admin said, get a hold of a lawyer if you are convinced the collision
was their fault but if not sure you may ending up paying for the repair bill.
HybridAmbassador. Toyota Hybrid system for helping climate change.

st130811

Post by st130811 » Wed Apr 25, 2018 5:31 pm

Update:
Got a lawyer and went to the comisaría. The sargent was totally indifferent and acted like these acuerdos were standard practice. He said it was between me and the officer. They had him call me. He got angry and questioned my character and so forth but decided we should drop the matter.

Gloria

Post by Gloria » Wed Apr 25, 2018 5:46 pm

st130811 wrote:
Wed Apr 25, 2018 5:31 pm
Update:
Got a lawyer and went to the comisaría. The sargent was totally indifferent and acted like these acuerdos were standard practice. He said it was between me and the officer. They had him call me. He got angry and questioned my character and so forth but decided we should drop the matter.
So who will be paying the damages?
I'm from the generation of common sense, wisdom and unfiltered answers. I sayeth as I seeth.

st130811

Post by st130811 » Wed Apr 25, 2018 5:56 pm

Unfortunately I am going to pay for mine. Still an abuso, according to the lawyer, but with my word against theirs and given the minor damage, pursuing it further wasn't worth it, in his estimation.

mem

Post by mem » Wed Apr 25, 2018 6:20 pm

That is awful. I think you should continue escalating over the "sargent's" head until you get someone who cares...and then watch all the peons get busted. You should need some pictures/evidence and a witness I would think. Carabineros usually have a lot of integrity in my personal experience, surprised they are acting like this is Venezuela or Paraguay!

st130811

Post by st130811 » Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:21 pm

Carabineros usually have a lot of integrity in my personal experience, surprised they are acting like this is Venezuela or Paraguay!
That has always been my experience. I consider this an isolated case. And, even in this case, I think they were just trying not to get in trouble. My surprise is that no one wanted to do anything about it.

hlf2888

Post by hlf2888 » Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:20 am

Total integrity has been my experience also. Looks like you ran into an exception to the rule. I tried to give some chocolates to the woman at immigration who helped me fill some paperwork and she refused and said she was not allowed to accept gifts. Chocolate???

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:02 am

Really this should be delt with by the insurance companies.

Im suprised right now with the microscope they are under by controlaria that they would even mess around with anything out of standard procedure. It is a car accident. The carbinerios as an organization operating so many vehicals probably have 1000 little fender benders a day.

Still, depending on how serious the accident is, will define if it is worth waisting time and money on it.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.