Switch citizenships for chilean staff

Anything related to legal issues, immigration, problems, regulations, tax issues, or any other law or legal related problem in Chile. Moderated By A Chilean Attorney.

Moderator: Zvalenzuela

Follower2

Switch citizenships for chilean staff

Post by Follower2 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 3:31 pm

Hello to everybody. Specific question:
Last year received Permanent Residency of Chile like a citizen of country #1. At the moment able to get new one passport of citizenship #2. How is it possible to switch my chilean permanent status to 2nd nationality? By law of both countries it's possible to keep dual citizenship.

admin
Site Admin

Re: Switch citizenships for chilean staff

Post by admin » Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:46 pm

You are going to have to decrypt that post.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

dmwbmw2

Post by dmwbmw2 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:25 pm

After reading it 10 times I’m actually pretty confident i know what they mean.

Unfortunately i have no idea what the answer is.

Follower2

Post by Follower2 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:48 am

admin wrote:
Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:46 pm
You are going to have to decrypt that post.
Ok. In the past came to chile like s tourist, was living here and received Permanencia. Nowadays ready to apply for another citizenship, which never hold before. Probably in few months, I'll lucky to receive 2nd passport. Chile knows me like citizen of country #1. Is it possible to go to Registro Civil (or somewhere else) for update details in there database about I'm citizen of country #2?

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:44 pm

No.

It is where you are born.

For example, pakistan or india. i use this example because it is a country i run in to a lot of nationals basically looking to do something similar. If you were born in pakistan, you will always be born in pakistan, even if you gave up or lost that citizenship in pakistan.

It is why i super red flag anyone that tries to play 'hide and go seek' / dodges the question, when i ask their country of birth. It is because A) dont lie to us B) chilean goverment will ask C) both of us will find out sooner or later anyway. So, don't waist anyone's time trying to hide it.

Your chilean id on the back says country of birth, not citizenship.

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

dmwbmw2

Post by dmwbmw2 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:30 pm

Actually my Cedula de Identidad says Nacionalidad on the front and no mention of anything other than Type of Visa and profesión on the back.

I would interpret nacionalidad as Citizenship and country of birth could be quite different.

Follower2

Post by Follower2 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:40 pm

dmwbmw2 wrote:
Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:30 pm
Actually my Cedula de Identidad says Nacionalidad on the front and no mention of anything other than Type of Visa and profesión on the back.

I would interpret nacionalidad as Citizenship and country of birth could be quite different.
Exactly.

I don't try to hide anything. It's OK with me to present both passports to Chilean government.

bow26

Post by bow26 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 5:30 pm

Only reason I would do this is to avoid the high fees for UK citizens- what if I were to start process from scratch (visa temporaria) using my other nationality, they would just say nope you’re British so you apply as British / pay the British fee? My birthplace is UK...

Not planning on but now that I have my second nationality I would have considered trying if I ever went back cos I’d pay a lot less :alien:

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:04 pm

Mine says "born in", but with a residency id they probably say nationality.

The short answer is the citizenship you used to apply, you need to stick with if for no other reason than to not make the heads explode at the department of immigration. They are kind of short on brain cells their, and their computer systems are from 1998. Neither deal well with change.

You can try it, just expect a massive beuracratic mess to follow.

Donnybrook

Post by Donnybrook » Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:48 pm

I can't see any advantage to doing it and it might open a whole can of worms for you. There might be questions about why you want to do this. Surely it doesn't matter?

My cedula has nacionalidad and not country of birth - not the same place with me. If you got Chilean nationality I can see it might say country of birth.

nwdiver

Post by nwdiver » Sat Apr 21, 2018 2:59 pm

I believe all passports have place of birth in them, not other nationality......
It's all about the wine.

ny_andino

Post by ny_andino » Fri Apr 27, 2018 3:47 pm

Actually, not as hard as it seems. Search for "RECTIFICACIÓN DE NACIONALIDAD EN EL CERTIFICADO DE PERMANENCIA DEFINITIVA" on the Extranjeria website (not sure if Admin allows to post a direct link here..)

Simple Form w/clear instructions.

Now, given an "overdrive" mode of operation presently within Extranjeria with the amnesty thing, you'll be quite lucky if can manage to get this tramite done within 9 months or so.. :D