Genealogy Help - Vital Records

Introduce yourself, discover who else is here, and get news and information about the forum. Most of all, tell us what Chile means for you.

Moderator: eeuunikkeiexpat

Green30

Genealogy Help - Vital Records

Post by Green30 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 3:33 pm

Hello,

I am interested in locating information on an ancestor who emigrated from Poland to Chile, but cannot find any vital records online and was wondering what would be the appropriate office to contact for written records then - he was a mining engineer (b. 1875 in Poland, d. 1965). I would love to find some Chilean records on his life...I found a couple of book references on him, including that he led an expedition to an island in the Magallanes Region, but once the Great Depression hit, the funding halted. He would have been in his 70's when the project was picked up again in the 1940's.

The only other information I have from his life in Chile is that he was a member of Ognisko Polskie im. Józefa Piłsudskiego (Polish Hearth group in Santiago). The attached picture is from 1928.

My parents and family would LOVE to visit Chile next year (such a beautiful country!) and we were thinking how nice it would be to have some information on this ancestor and hopefully (if it is marked/exists) to visit his grave - we actually have no idea where he would be buried and was hoping the vital records could narrow this down for us.

Thank you!
-Yolanda
Attachments
SM0_1-Z-286.jpg
SM0_1-Z-286.jpg (23.38 KiB) Viewed 271 times

David_Bro

Re: Genealogy Help - Vital Records

Post by David_Bro » Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:20 pm

As a mining engineer, its most likely he would have been working anywhere from central Chile and into the north-----what would be today the 1st through 5th regions----Chile took over land in the north that was once Peru and Bolivia around 1899 so you might exclude that area depending on when he was in Chile as a mining engineer and the time he was there. I would try religious organizations so if he was Catholic, jewish and even if he was not Morman, the LDS have extensive archives. Also you could try something like this site as well:

https://www.familysearch.org/search/collection/1630787

Good luck and hopefully you will let us all know how it all went!

###

David_Bro

Post by David_Bro » Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:21 pm

Also found this and may be helpful:

https://minrel.gob.cl/getting-birth-mar ... 02023.html

###

Donnybrook

Post by Donnybrook » Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:38 pm

Look for a Latter Day Saints (Mormon) library near where you live. They have the most expensive records in the world. Explain what you are looking for and they will point you in the right direction. They can order any appropriate documents on microfiche for you. You could look online first to see what they might have which covers Chile but it can be confusing finding what you want. Basically it was, and is, the Mormons who have collected the largest cache of family records from all over the world. You do not have to be a Mormon to use their services and they do not try to push you to join them.