Putting a fence

Buying, Selling, Building, Tax issues, anything regarding real estate or properties in Chile.
Forum rules
NO DISCUSSION OF SPECIFIC REAL ESTATE AGENTS BY NAME, LINK, OR RECOMMENDATION ANYWHERE ON THE CHILE FORUM.
Rob

Putting a fence

Post by Rob » Sat Apr 07, 2018 10:24 am

Hi to all,

Probably in novenber we're going to Chile for the hollidays and to do some work on our parcel. We want to put a fence between us and the rest of the parcel next to us. At the moment I'm looking on internet for companies that sell the materials or a wooden fence. Also looking for companies (people) that (help, by renting machinery). But it hard finding something on internet that is close to Panguipulli. I'm in the Netherlands, and the results I get are from all Spanish speaking countries. So I turn my self to all reading overhere.

In the picture the red line is what has to be done. It's aproximet 320 meters. The richt side of the line is ours.
On the parcel is no electricety or running water.

So all information is wellcome, price wise too.
parela.jpg
Kind regards,
Rob.

admin
Site Admin

Re: Putting a fence

Post by admin » Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:38 am

Yea, fencing you have to go local, that far out.

What kind of fence are you looming in install?
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

41southchile

Post by 41southchile » Sun Apr 08, 2018 10:04 am

Hi Rob
Generally small businesses (and even large businesses) do not use the internet for much more than Facebook here, so you will probably not get any replies that way. Like a lot of things in Chile fence building, especially for Parcelas is fairly informal work, there are a few companies around (when I say companies I use the term losely, they are normally just a couple of guys who gave themselves a name and stick signs on the side of other parcela fences they have put up) Depending on what style fence you want will depend on cost, a timber plank fence will probably mean a bit more work, compared to the standard Chile parcela fence , which is posts (2.4m long and 3 or 4 inch diameter) with galv wire mesh and a barbwire along the top and bottom. For 320 metres in a timber plank fence you would be looking at aprox 3.2 million pesos, (probably a little more tbh) that is if its a standard plank and post set up, obviously the costs increase if you wanted to have bigger posts , to be 8 by 8 inches or something like that, which is way too much for a standard fence.
As for the other one, if you want to reduce your costs just find some locals to help you and buy the supplies yourself from your local hardware store or sodimac. There are Parcela fence builders do offer an all inclusive service where they supply materials but they will charge accordingly for it, are a bit of a mafia in their prices they charge if you compare it to other builders etc, way too much for the ammount of work it involves compared to other things here.
For galv mesh and post system, depending on how high you want it, you would have aprox around a million pesos in material costs for the 320 metres (these are just assumptions on height etc). Then if you can get some guys to put it up, offering them a good daily rate, counting transport, labour and material costs you should be able to do for will under half of what the timber fence will cost.
If you want a timber plank fence you may have to look further afield like Valdivia or somehwere where there are more Parcelas, which will also increase your costs, or just ask around some of the neighbours and they should know a Maestro, who may be up for it, then again he may not.
In the Lakes Region Chile for 6 years. It looks like New Zealand in some ways, and is nearly at the bottom of the world too, but there the similarities end.

Rob

Post by Rob » Sun Apr 08, 2018 10:30 am

Thanks for this information! The fence itsalfs doesn't have to be a fancy one. We just need to mark our parcela, we know the neighbours will not share the cost. We know this from exerians with them. I found a picture of something we like and is not to complicated (i think). I think a fence 1 meter hight is good enought. So if you imagen the picture with round poles and just one plank on it, that is the something we want.

Do you have an idea of what lokal daily rate is?
Attachments
a68c108ce6.JPEG

Putenio

Post by Putenio » Sun Apr 08, 2018 3:27 pm

For perimeter fences we use our trees sometimes, but I've had good luck passing the word around the neighborhood and someone wants the work, 2500-3500 per 2M fence post - wood varies - delivered. Barbed wire, three lines minimum, wires installed on the side of the fence post that faces the owner of that section of fence - they maintain it.

I've seen impregnated pine posts at 2+M at Sodimac (hardware store) that would work, maybe 4000 each?

For the entryway and around the residence we recently sourced black iron 10cm x10cm (& 8x8, 6x6) bars that, when cut, produce 3 2M fence posts. In concrete they are not going anywhere, and there are variety of fencing options to weld in place. Initial cost but low maintenance.
Enjoying the beautiful southern peninsula of Puerto Montt in the heart of it all.
Tenio Natural Reserve: http://www.visitsouthernchile.blogspot.com

David_Bro

Post by David_Bro » Sun Apr 08, 2018 6:31 pm

Your best bet is solidly finding local guys to help you do it----ask up and down your road and you will find someone----daily rate is about 10 to 15 dollars a day for standard farm labor plus lunch and its wise to supply some chica along the way-----you are employing what is called a "Jornilero" which used to apply only to masons but is standard for day work now. At the same time you are asking for workers around ask for anyone that has stakes for sale----should be around 2,000 pesos and will will be split off a tree and not "lumber" per se----in other words a rough split stake. You can buy impregnated pine round stakes at Sodimac but would not recommend it-----Stakes are placed at every 3 meters which you just walk off along a string line. Barbed wire is sold in 500 meter rolls at sodimac and you can get staples for it there too----Typical border fences are three string and mesh is only used if you have sheep or goats----if you don't then its way more expensive and not worth it----the plank in the photo---this type of fence is used in birthing corrals and not needed across a long pasture fence unless you like it----also fence like this is used around a home in the immediate environs but just for the look and to keep dogs, cats and chickens from invading the house garden-----most workers in tandem (two) can do about 80 to 100 meters a day in fence----barbed wire is staged on the property side of the person putting in the fence----You can do 5 string barbed wire for sheep if and it will work instead of mesh----i would not recommend using a company but local guys----you should supply all the tools and its 8 to 5 with a lunch break that is a homemade meal----plan on 5 days or less for 320 meter of work------A smart land owner would work with them so it does not take 2 weeks to do the work-----

###

hlf2888

Post by hlf2888 » Sun Apr 08, 2018 7:18 pm

320 meters is about 107 poles. Every area has a wood operation where they sell posts (polines). Either treated (impregnado) or not. Definitely get treated. All others will rot unless you get eucalyptus rojo but that is kind of rare.

For the horses we used 4 inch x 4 inch poles that were 2.5 metres long, treated wood, paid around 4.00 per post. They will often discount if you get 100 or more.

Not something I would do online.

Rob

Post by Rob » Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:17 am

Thanks for al the helpfull information. There are two hardware stores in Panguipulle that I know of. The nearest Sodimac is in Pucon and thats 75 km.
I'll have a friend ask what is availeble and what the prices are. Maybe he knows a one or two locals to that can help me and my brother in law with the job.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Mon Apr 09, 2018 4:06 pm

That is the heart of one of the biggest producers of presure treeted fence posts. You can find them at any of the lumber yards, or try covepa (feed / hardware chain).
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

Julito

Post by Julito » Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:11 am

The nearest Sodimac is Villarrica, 24kms closer.

Rob

Post by Rob » Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:31 pm

Sorry, that's the one I mean.

rasmataz

Post by rasmataz » Thu Apr 12, 2018 6:42 pm

Hi Rob - I live in in the campo close to Pangui so I will try to help you. Attached is a photo of my fence which I put up in 2010. The wood used is pellin which is very rot resistant but difficult to find now and very expensive if you do find it. Most fencepost now are either hualle (which will need to be painted completely with Carbonileo otherwise they will rot due to the rains here) or pressure treated pine polines. The local ferreteria (Jaramillo) had polines in both diameters in their warehouse. If you do decide to go that route, I would go their warehouse and hand-select them for straightness. Depending on how many you will need, I would have their truck deliver or you could hire a "flete" to pick them and deliver it to you. Most of this labor is manual but most day laborers here know how to do this if they grew up in the campo. You want a tight fence so, if your laborers do not have a "tecle" (tensioner) you will need to buy one.[attachment=0]
Attachments
1 (1).jpg