SURFERS Help needed

General topics related to Living in Chile
BainLejend

SURFERS Help needed

Post by BainLejend » Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:34 am

Hello, I have just received the great news that I will be studying abroad in Chile this summer. I am a pretty active surfer and am looking to explore some of these amazing breaks offered on Chile's coastline. The two places I have been offered housing is in Valparaíso or Vina Del Mar. I was curious what good breaks were within these two areas. Also if I could walk to a break from ether of these cities? I won't have a car so bussing will be my main use of transportation. Is hitch-hiking do-able in Chile? Ive lived the last 3 summers in Costa Rica where it is fairly easy/safe to get around hitching and bussing. Any input would be great thanks!

npugh22

Re: SURFERS Help needed

Post by npugh22 » Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:44 am

Congrats on being able to come to such a beautiful coast!

Disclaimer that I am not a surfer, though I am friends with many in the culture, so that's where this advice is coming from. Unfortunately, neither Viña nor Valpo will have what you're looking for. So walking distance is probably out of the question. However, bus-able and hitchhikeable is definitely in play. For big waves, you're gonna want Pichilemu. Legit beaches with some pretty big waves. That's about 3 to 4 hours south of where you'll be. Just North of you an hour or so there are a couple of beaches that are pretty good: Maitencillo (watched a surf comp there this past summer), Cachagua and then just to the South: Algarrobo has decent waves (I've heard but haven't seen).

The biggest issue (and if you look at a map, you'll see what I'm talking about) with Valpo/Vina is that it's shaped more like a bay, so the waves die as they come in.

Finally point, it's cold water. So don't come thinking you're in Oahu.

Have fun!

BainLejend

Post by BainLejend » Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:48 am

Awesome thanks for the help! @npugh122.

eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Fri Apr 06, 2018 11:11 am

In between Algarrobo and Pichelemu is Matanzas.

Google: surfing matanzas
Generally, just a SPAM KILLER. You are on your own in this forum. My personal mission here is done.

BUT when necessary, by way of ridicule and truth revelation we shalt do war.

--eeuunikkeiexpat

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Fri Apr 06, 2018 12:04 pm

Just north of conception, years ago we had a client that was a professional international surfing photographer basically buy a cliff because in his words it was directly in front of "THE wave".
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

bones

Post by bones » Fri Apr 06, 2018 2:59 pm

You could also try Constitucion, Curanipe, and further south - Cobquecura and Buchupureo. Those are several hours from where you'll be though.

nwdiver

Post by nwdiver » Sat Apr 07, 2018 5:51 pm

BainLejend wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:34 am
Hello, I have just received the great news that I will be studying abroad in Chile this summer. I am a pretty active surfer and am looking to explore some of these amazing breaks offered on Chile's coastline. The two places I have been offered housing is in Valparaíso or Vina Del Mar. I was curious what good breaks were within these two areas. Also if I could walk to a break from ether of these cities? I won't have a car so bussing will be my main use of transportation. Is hitch-hiking do-able in Chile? Ive lived the last 3 summers in Costa Rica where it is fairly easy/safe to get around hitching and bussing. Any input would be great thanks!
Whose summer?

There are many small breaks along the coast near Vina, but bring your 5 mil suit with boots, gloves and hood.

Pichilemu Is 3-4 hours south and is one of the BIG wave capitals of the world, the South Pacific storms south of 50 crank out giant waves in the winter with no place to go and end up on the Chilean coast....
It's all about the wine.