Baking Wholemeal Rye Bread Workshop

All topics related to food in Chile including, Chilean food, expat food favorites, exchanging recipes, where to shop, hard to find foods, substitute ingredients and foods, food quality, restaurants, and more. If you can eat it in Chile, post it here.
Forum rules
No advertising. Please post in the classifieds section.
RuneTheChookcha

Baking Wholemeal Rye Bread Workshop

Post by RuneTheChookcha » Wed Apr 04, 2018 12:23 pm

Presently, I am experimenting with baking: growing various rye sourdough starters to make wholemeal rye bread, at home.

There are lots of instructions and recipes on the Net, like the following ones:

http://www.google.com/search?q=rye+sour ... ur+starter

I use wholemeal rye flour available here in Valparaiso in various bodegas (local prices vary from 750 to 900 / kilo), sea salt (I pay less than 200 CLP / kilo), and spices, specifically: eneldo (dill seed), and cilantro (coriander seed).

Experimenting as well with making sweet breads with the addition of sugar and wholemeal wheat flour, trying various other spices. For the wholemeal wheat flour to be pure with NO additional components added (I mean the obligatory fortification -- the "ley 350" thing, yes these "wise men" tend to add the additives complex to wholemeal flours also) I don't buy packaged ones in supermarkets (with the exception of Fuente Natural branded "harina integral fina", with whom I corresponded by email about their technologies), but rather ask in various bodegas -- the flour have to be made right there, in their proper mill, and packaged also.

Starting from zero -- the whole process takes 5 days at least, means the 1st day is the day you start growing your very first rye sourdough starter culture: from just water and flour. I do it in a big glass jar.

Anyone willing to bake along and share notes? The results are satisfactory, the process is entertaining, and there are of course lots of subtleties, and possible mistakes -- for me, this is only learned by way of trial and error.

eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Re: Baking Wholemeal Rye Bread Workshop

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:58 pm

If I make it back to the States, my plan is to buy some sourdough starter culture and begin experimenting.

I have already gotten water kefir going and hope to expand into other beneficial fermented products.

Yes, the fortified flour crap is of definite concern, thanks for the advice.

-E
Generally, just a SPAM KILLER. You are on your own in this forum. My personal mission here is done.

BUT when necessary, by way of ridicule and truth revelation we shalt do war.

--eeuunikkeiexpat

RuneTheChookcha

Post by RuneTheChookcha » Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:06 pm

eeuunikkeiexpat wrote:
Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:58 pm
If I make it back to the States, my plan is to buy some sourdough starter culture and begin experimenting.
If there are kind of "dog food" bodegas in San Antonio, probably around the market, chances are they do sell harina centeno (maybe a bit coarse, but no problem, it must be wholegrain anyways). Now you put equal part of the flour and water into a glass jar, the 2nd day do the same, repeat daily -- until the 5th or 6th day, when it start smelling like a very nice sour cream, with a bit of a fruit tone. Then, you have your own starter.

RuneTheChookcha

Post by RuneTheChookcha » Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:16 pm

Look, here she goes:
1.jpg
1.jpg (43.51 KiB) Viewed 355 times
2.jpg
2.jpg (58.71 KiB) Viewed 355 times

T_ROBO

Post by T_ROBO » Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:21 am

eeuunikkeiexpat wrote:
Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:58 pm
-E
If you want it soon, I am traveling in May and can bring a box back (assuming I can get it from the grocery store Kroger or Walmart)
TP

Gloria

Post by Gloria » Thu Apr 05, 2018 7:37 pm

Rye sourdough bread doesn´t appeal to me very much, however I have been experimenting making "marraquetas", "pan amasado" and pita breads, both with regular white flour and is getting better every day. Is really fascinating, pleasant and good tasting!
I'm from the generation of common sense, wisdom and unfiltered answers. Anótese, comuníquese, publíquese, archívese.
Please remind me the reasons why I decided to come back!

T_ROBO

Post by T_ROBO » Fri Apr 06, 2018 3:21 pm

Gloria wrote:
Thu Apr 05, 2018 7:37 pm
Rye sourdough bread doesn´t appeal to me very much, however I have been experimenting making "marraquetas", "pan amasado" and pita breads, both with regular white flour and is getting better every day. Is really fascinating, pleasant and good tasting!
Gloria,
I guess you are still ;-)young ;-) and do not worry about the spike in sugar level in the blood stream when eating white bread :-)
I normally stick with black pumpernickel bread sold at Jumbo :-)
TP

Gloria

Post by Gloria » Fri Apr 06, 2018 3:32 pm

The truth is I cannot stomach the pumpernickel sold at Jumbo. To me is uneatable and although may not be healthy I love a good italian/french bread. Young at 100? but off course!!...do I worry about my sugar level in my blood stream? Hell no! :D
I'm from the generation of common sense, wisdom and unfiltered answers. Anótese, comuníquese, publíquese, archívese.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Fri Apr 06, 2018 3:37 pm

I made my own starter, using the wild yeast some years ago back when i lived around temuco. Turned out good.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

Gloria

Post by Gloria » Sat Apr 07, 2018 1:27 pm

Puratos also sells a dough starter.

RuneTheChookcha

Post by RuneTheChookcha » Sat Apr 07, 2018 2:23 pm

Just for the fun of it, having put aside a small quantity of my rye starter, I started feeding it exclusively oat flour (means, "harina de avena"), and having done so for a couple of days, it now can double in size in a two-hours time. Very active and hungry culture. Lots of fun watching it bubbling. Will bake something tomorrow based on this one.