Spanish school recommendations for HS student?

General topics related to Living in Chile
texasdiver

Spanish school recommendations for HS student?

Post by texasdiver » Fri Mar 23, 2018 6:34 pm

My wife and I are thinking of sending our HS daughter to Chile for the summer (July-Aug) to spend time with family and do some intensive language study.

We *should* be a bilingual family as my wife is from Chile and all her family are in Santiago. But we haven't really raised our kids with much Spanish at all. We do go back to Santiago about once a year to see family on holidays but that isn't enough time to really absorb the langauge and the family are all upper class with perfect English so that doesn't help.

So we are thinking of finding a language school that does intensive language study for say 4 hours a day or so and then let her stay with one of her aunts or cousins. We have family in Vitacura, Los Condes and Providencia so she has a variety of places to stay. For that matter, also family in Coyhaique but that might not be the best July-Aug destination.

Anyone have any suggestions on the best way to do this? Through one of the traditional language schools or are there other options? Any recommendations on schools? It would be great if there was one close to family so she could walk or take metro.

Oh, our daughter is also a dual US-Chilean citizen if that makes any difference on what options might be available.

Thanks,

Kent

paladin

Re: Spanish school recommendations for HS student?

Post by paladin » Sat Mar 24, 2018 8:35 pm

I suggest you get in touch with a language institute such as Berlitz. I know they can offer individual intensive classes in Spanish at time to suit the student. They obviously arent cheap, but it’s probably what you want. They have locations close to Escuela Militar metro , Pedro de Valdivia metro and in downtown if you want. The good thing about individual classes is being able to start a course whenever you want and at times to suit you.

wellthisisweird

Post by wellthisisweird » Sun Mar 25, 2018 9:30 pm

There are some schools where you can get in contact like Poliglota and Ecela Santiago.
Still I think your daughter will be fine, in 6 months she'll be super OK with spanish, not with like, speaking it perfectly but she'll be able to manage communication and such (since 6 months isn't that long haha).
Ehm, are you guys sendin' her to a bilingual school, right?
Because if you aren't then there'll be a few problems since all the classes (at least from non-particular and semi-particular schools) are taught in Spanish, she'll kinda just go and have fun but she'll lose a semester of school so I don't recommend it, since children don't understand English at all and some teachers don't speak it either, so maybe a native Spanish speaker whom is an English teacher could help her with private classes so she can understand what she wrote on her notebook hahaha.

frozen-north

Post by frozen-north » Mon Mar 26, 2018 4:56 am

wellthisisweird wrote:
Still I think your daughter will be fine, in 6 months she'll be super OK with spanish,
Six months? I think you need some stronger coffee. :)
texasdiver wrote:
My wife and I are thinking of sending our HS daughter to Chile for the summer (July-Aug)

So we are thinking of finding a language school that does intensive language study....
My understanding is that the instructors in those language schools are not necessarily experienced teachers; that is something I remembered from many years ago, so I did a quick search and found some confirmation:

Profesor De Español Para Extranjeros

ECELA se dedica al Turismo Educativo,

Buscamos profesores de lenguaje, historia, inglés o traductores, periodistas o profesionales de carreras afín para impartir clases de español para extranjeros.

https://www.buscojobs.cl/profesor-de-es ... ID-5064102
Probably any unemployed professional could become a language instructor in any of these language schools.

Some comments from instructors:
Teaching English at Berlitz in Hamburg

https://www.toytowngermany.com/forum/to ... n-hamburg/

texasdiver

Post by texasdiver » Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:53 am

A bit of follow-up from the original poster here. Last month my wife flew down to check up on her mother who was undergoing some minor surgery (all is well). She ended up having a mini-reunion with a bunch of her old high school friends from the Villa Maria Academy. Turns out several of them are principals or administrators or on the boards of various private schools around the Santiago area and she now has a handful of friends who are all competing to host our daughter next year and enroll her as an exchange student. So that is the route we are probably going to go. Either just for the summer of 2019 or perhaps for more like 8 months, sending her down over Christmas and letting her stay until August. It sort of depends on how we can fineesse the credits at her home school.

So I guess like all things Chile, it really depends on who you know. But it looks like we have various good options that we need to sort out.

El Zorro

Post by El Zorro » Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:18 am

Those who expect to learn a language relying on instructors rather than the student have the wrong approach. "The fault, dear Brutus, is not in our stars, but in ourselves, that we are underlings." In this day and age, the key to learning a language fast is to watch plenty of television—and/or videos—and read a lot, including grammar books, and don’t be afraid to engage others in conversation. Anybody will understand good grammar. You can give you speech a popular flavor afterwards.

One caveat, though: Yo aprendi a hablar español mirando Plaza Sésamo. Como mi personaje favorito era El Conde, adquirí un acento húngaro, y mucha gente me preguntaba si era pariente de Drácula.

---------------------------------------
Man's greatest pastime is self-delusion.

Gloria

Post by Gloria » Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:02 pm

El Zorro wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:18 am

Yo aprendi a hablar español mirando Plaza Sésamo. Como mi personaje favorito era El Conde, adquirí un acento húngaro, y mucha gente me preguntaba si era pariente de Drácula.

---------------------------------------
Man's greatest pastime is self-delusion.
Menos mal que no aprendistes español mirando Peppa "la Cerda" o estarías chillando "oink oink". :lol:
I'm from the generation of common sense, wisdom and unfiltered answers. I sayeth as I seeth.

El Zorro

Post by El Zorro » Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:38 pm

"Oink oink" sería lo de menos. No deberías de haber mencionado “Pepa la cerda”. Si alguien aquí se le ocurre tomarla como ejemplo en su manera de hablar, se le arruina la vida. Después de haberla escuchado por un minuto, se me dio por empezar a insultar a los demás con acento ibérico.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
What we all have to understand is that we don't understand it all.

Gloria

Post by Gloria » Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:42 pm

El Zorro wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:38 pm
"Oink oink" sería lo de menos. No deberías de haber mencionado “Pepa la cerda”. Si alguien aquí se le ocurre tomarla como ejemplo en su manera de hablar, se le arruina la vida. Después de haberla escuchado por un minuto, se me dio por empezar a insultar a los demás con acento ibérico.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
What we all have to understand is that we don't understand it all.
Si aprenden a hablar español cómo Pepa, serían personas con "coeficiencia intelectual" ( jajaja....tuve que mirarlo en el diccionario). ¿Sería necesario decirles que si aprenden con Pepa es a riesgo propio?
I'm from the generation of common sense, wisdom and unfiltered answers. I sayeth as I seeth.

El Zorro

Post by El Zorro » Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:12 pm

Por supuesto. Sería bueno que en este foro hubiese una sección dedicada al idioma español, siendo que concierne mayormente a la vida en un país de habla hispana y muchos de los miembros han mostrado un interés en aprenderlo, lo que tiene sentido.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Democracy becomes a farce when politicians put themselves up for sale.

Gloria

Post by Gloria » Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:13 pm

El Zorro wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:12 pm
Por supuesto. Sería bueno que en este foro hubiese una sección dedicada al idioma español, siendo que concierne mayormente a la vida en un país de habla hispana y muchos de los miembros han mostrado un interés en aprenderlo, lo que tiene sentido.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Democracy becomes a farce when politicians put themselves up for sale.
Totalmente de acuerdo, sin embargo pienso que algunos protestarán por el hecho de no entender el idioma y si no me equivoco, el administrador está en ese grupo. :D Lo que no se sabe, se aprende.

fraggle092

Post by fraggle092 » Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:34 am

Tengo que confesar que, después de aprender lo básico con la ayuda de un diccionario, me "perfeccioné" estudiando Condorito. Y La Cuarta. Aprendiendo así, el Castellano me salió "por chauchas", y quizás se nota :)
Après moi, le déluge