renewing US passport by mail

General topics related to Living in Chile
thisisreallycomplicated

renewing US passport by mail

Post by thisisreallycomplicated » Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:28 pm

I'm working on renewing my US passport by mail, and trying to avoid any problems.

This is the link to the US embassy website's instructions in English:
https://cl.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-se ... -passport/

And this is their translation in Spanish:
https://cl.usembassy.gov/es/u-s-citizen ... rio-ds-82/

One of the requirements listed is a "Cashier’s check issued by Banco de Chile in U.S. Dollars, drawn on a U.S. bank, made payable to the “U.S. Embassy.”". And I have 2 questions about this:
1. What is a cashier's check called in Chile? The embassy's translation is "cheque bancario". An old post on allchile says it's "cheque de gerencia". And google's translation is "cheque de caja".
2. Does it matter if this check is made payable to "U.S. Embassy" or " Embajada de los EE.UU"?

I've never had to deal with the embassy before, so I don't know how picky they are about details like this. Thanks!
“Now it’s conspiracy – they’ve made that something that should not even be entertained for a minute, that powerful people might get together and have a plan. Doesn’t happen, you’re a kook, you’re a conspiracy buff!” – George Carlin

eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Re: renewing US passport by mail

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:37 pm

Hmmm, looking at the hassle, it would be better to travel to Santiago for the day, apply in person, pay with CC and have it sent to you when ready. It's what I did but my trip is only 1.5 hours vs. what your's would be.
Generally, just a SPAM KILLER. You are on your own in this forum. My personal mission here is done.

BUT when necessary, by way of ridicule and truth revelation we shalt do war.

--eeuunikkeiexpat

mem

Post by mem » Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:48 pm

Oh yeah, i know all about this. A buddy and i both have been dealing with this. He has to renew his passport and i have to renew my wifes passport

Here is the deal... you gotta get a cashiers check from banco de chile but dont worry about the "drawn on us bank part". My buddy got this done and confirmed with the embassy he got the right check. The kicker is you need to have or go with someone that has an account at banco de chile. It has to be banco de chile and only an account holder can get this type of check
Also my buddy had to come back the following day to get the check...wasnt ready same day.

thisisreallycomplicated

Post by thisisreallycomplicated » Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:53 pm

eeuunikkeiexpat wrote:
Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:37 pm
Hmmm, looking at the hassle, it would be better to travel to Santiago for the day, apply in person, pay with CC and have it sent to you when ready. It's what I did but my trip is only 1.5 hours vs. what your's would be.
I thought about doing that. But when I read their instructions, I thought I had to do it by mail. But I just reread them, and now I think I misunderstood. Although I'd rather do it by mail, if I can work out the details.
“Now it’s conspiracy – they’ve made that something that should not even be entertained for a minute, that powerful people might get together and have a plan. Doesn’t happen, you’re a kook, you’re a conspiracy buff!” – George Carlin

Gloria

Post by Gloria » Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:09 pm

A cashier's check is a Vale Vista and it can be made payable to US Embassy. I renewed my passport in 2016 in person ( not by choice) and I hated the whole experience. You must follow their directions to the T or you'll have to get another appt.
I'm from the generation of common sense, wisdom and unfiltered answers. I sayeth as I seeth.

thisisreallycomplicated

Post by thisisreallycomplicated » Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:17 pm

mem wrote:
Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:48 pm
Oh yeah, i know all about this. A buddy and i both have been dealing with this. He has to renew his passport and i have to renew my wifes passport

Here is the deal... you gotta get a cashiers check from banco de chile but dont worry about the "drawn on us bank part". My buddy got this done and confirmed with the embassy he got the right check. The kicker is you need to have or go with someone that has an account at banco de chile. It has to be banco de chile and only an account holder can get this type of check
Also my buddy had to come back the following day to get the check...wasnt ready same day.
How did your friend verify he got the right kind of check? I read the embassy's website. Had questions, so called the embassy. They told me I needed to email santiagousa@state.gov. So I did, and they sent me a link back to the embassy's website. After that, I lost all hope of getting answers from them (but I sent them another email anyway).

Also, I went to banco de chile yesterday, and asked for a "cheque bancario" (hoping that was the right translation). They seemed to know what I was asking for, and sent me across the street to exchange some pesos for dollars. And, like your friend, they told me I need to come back tomorrow to pick it up. But I don't have an account with them, so now I'm really wondering if I got the right kind of check. I'm not too concerned about losing the $110. I just don't want to lose my passport.

eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:18 pm

Thinking back, payment was secondary to this piss off:

4. A photocopy of both sides of your Chilean ID (carnet)

I know they can easily get this info but why ask for it? Fuck them :!:

BTW, this is not asked for if done in person...

EDIT: YES, THAT is the reason I did it in person.
Generally, just a SPAM KILLER. You are on your own in this forum. My personal mission here is done.

BUT when necessary, by way of ridicule and truth revelation we shalt do war.

--eeuunikkeiexpat

thisisreallycomplicated

Post by thisisreallycomplicated » Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:40 pm

Gloria wrote:
Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:09 pm
A cashier's check is a Vale Vista and it can be made payable to US Embassy. I renewed my passport in 2016 in person ( not by choice) and I hated the whole experience. You must follow their directions to the T or you'll have get another appt.
Maybe I'll just photocopy what I get from the bank tomorrow. Black out some details. Then email it to the embassy, and ask if that's what they need (and hope they don't send me another link to their website).

I also need a prepaid DHL AWB so the embassy can mail it back to me. And the person at DHL had no idea what I was asking for :(

thisisreallycomplicated

Post by thisisreallycomplicated » Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:41 pm

eeuunikkeiexpat wrote:
Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:18 pm
Thinking back, payment was secondary to this piss off:

4. A photocopy of both sides of your Chilean ID (carnet)

I know they can easily get this info but why ask for it? Fuck them :!:

BTW, this is not asked for if done in person...

EDIT: YES, THAT is the reason I did it in person.
That's the only thing I didn't have a question about:)

thisisreallycomplicated

Post by thisisreallycomplicated » Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:48 pm

Here's a similar discussion on another website:
https://forum.wordreference.com/threads ... a.1205274/

mem

Post by mem » Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:59 pm

Yeah, my buddy called the embassy after getting the check to confirm it was the right thing to get. He also emailed them prior and he speaks spanish since he is married to an ecuadorean.

I was trying to use his contact who has an account at banco de chile and even offered to pay them a magnanimous thousands of pesos for their trouble but I think they are punishing me for not going to church as often as they think I should go. Not kidding!

But then today my wife met a chilena mom at my girls ballet class as she has girls in the class too and are going to help her get the cashiers check in villarrica. There is a banco de chile in pucon but apparently only villarrica is well to do enough to do the cashiers check. Go figure
So we are getting this done this week and the vindictive church goer has no hold on us!

thisisreallycomplicated

Post by thisisreallycomplicated » Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:22 pm

mem wrote:
Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:59 pm
Yeah, my buddy called the embassy after getting the check to confirm it was the right thing to get. He also emailed them prior and he speaks spanish since he is married to an ecuadorean.
That's what I'll do then. Maybe I'll get lucky, and they won't keep sending me in circles. Otherwise, I might need to make the trip to Santiago.
mem wrote:
Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:59 pm
I was trying to use his contact who has an account at banco de chile and even offered to pay them a magnanimous thousands of pesos for their trouble but I think they are punishing me for not going to church as often as they think I should go. Not kidding!
Uh oh, I'm in trouble then. I don't remember the last time I went to church. But I do talk to the mormons when they stop by, so maybe that counts for something?