Quake in Mexico.

Everything to do with the earthquake in Chile 2010 including contacting relatives, latest news from regions and cities, search for assistance, how to help Chile, and anything else related to the disaster and recovery.
Forum rules
The Chile Forum policy against new users linking is suspended for the Chile Earthquake Forum during this crisis. BE WARNED: SPAMMERS AND SCAMMERS WILL STILL BE SLAPPED DOWN HARD!! Legit links to information and resources however is fully welcome.
Gloria

Quake in Mexico.

Post by Gloria » Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:31 pm

7.2 in the south of Mexico. Only a reminder that the same could happen here. Do you know where your backpack with supplies is?
I'm from the generation of common sense, wisdom and unfiltered answers. Anótese, comuníquese, publíquese, archívese. I sayeth as I seeth.

eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Re: Quake in Mexico.

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:10 pm

And we are approaching the 8 year anniversary...

I recall there was no inkling or warning...and then it struck in the last weekend of Chile summer vacation.

Oh what a rocker it was as San Antonio (home to the 85 quake) was within the edge of the rectangular max shake zone from the south-centro Chile epicenter.

There are two areas that need to "release", offshore Valpo and the far north.

Maybe the slow extended series of quakes back in 2016 released some tension in the Valpo area (I can dig up that theory if asked) and the 9+ mega for Valpo will only be 8.5+.

We shall see.
Generally, just a SPAM KILLER. You are on your own in this forum. My personal mission here is done.

BUT when necessary, by way of ridicule and truth revelation we shalt do war.

--eeuunikkeiexpat

admin
Site Admin

Re: Quake in Mexico.

Post by admin » Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:22 am

Here are a few things I have done differently based on lessons learned from the 2010 quake, but also from a few volcano eruptions in my front yard. The go-bag, although I have one, I realized is too simplistic. It will cover you for a few days, perhaps a few weeks; but what then?

So...

Move away from an urban center. If there is going to be a problem, chances are it will be because of too many other people.

Get a car. At the time I had no license or car. The morning after the 2010 quake, it occurred to me that the ability to leave was probably a nice thing to have in a disaster zone. I now have two 4x4, one diesel and one gas. I just put off-road racing suspension on one, with off-road mud tires, winch, etc. Still need to install the snorkel and skid plates. It is not a horse, but it will pretty much go anywhere.

The one thing, I did do however, that was small but significant, was air filters for the car. We have seen this over and over again. After a volcanic eruption, everything can be for the most part working, but the cars are subjected to fine silicate dust that clogs the air filters. So, I bought permanent air filters that are easily cleanable with soap and water. I slapped a pile of warning stickers all over the air filter case to keep the local geese monkey from throwing away my permanent air filter.

Probably the only thing that would make me leave home after a disaster, is if the security situation deteriorated to an intolerable point. For the about 99.9% scenarios, we are better staying right where we are at for most projected disasters. Still, we know from after the 2010 quake that main roads and bridges can go down for months, and alternative back roads might be the only way to get anywhere for a while. Rather not depend on a little compact car to get from point A to point B, in just the rainy season in southern Chile. In the south there is almost always an alternative route to get somewhere, but the quality of the roads can be pretty extreme depending on the time of year. Diesel is typically easy to get, as the big trucks need it, farms have it, and so on. Availability of gas, might be hit or miss. Even after just a minor threat of a disaster, we have seen local runs on the gas station here. Everyone goes and fills up.

Of our course, I got lot's of little gizmos. Multi-ban portable radio, multi-fuel cooking stove, various portable water filter systems, that are in a back pack next to a electric socket that keeps the radio charged at all times. I also keep some cash in dollars, euros, and pesos, backup credit cards, passports handy.

Pets. Probably not leaving my pets if at all possible. So, I keep airline certified dog cages handy along with copies of vaccines shots and so on. We have seen it time and time again. People will not evacuate when they should, simply because they don't want to leave their animals. For the price of a few dog cages, in the middle of a disaster, I have the luxury of not having to make that decision (at least immediately).

Probably the only other motive to leave, would be long-term considerations. We need to get on with our life. If large parts of Chile, or even the region, are smashed for too long, and it looks like it might take years for things to get back to normal, relocating either to another region of the Chile or another country altogether might be a very real option. My wife and I set-up plans in the event we are separated, about how to reunite outside the area, then outside of Chile. For example, first we go to point A in Chile, but different region. Then we go to point B in Argentina. Then we go to point C on a different continent. Places we know well, have friends and contacts. We check a certain park every day at 12:00 noon, until the other shows up; or, if the place is too unsafe, we move on to the next check-in point.

The big one though was family. My sister in law and family were living in an apartment in Santiago in 2010. After, my wife once asked them about their earthquake / disaster preparedness plan. My sister in law turns to my wife and says bluntly, "we are going to your house of course". That one stopped me cold. That would be 5 more people, including grandma that is diabetic. Start counting other family, that I have to take in, this could be a 20+ people on the doorstep pretty fast for an indefinite amount of time. Those are just the people that fall under the 'you must take them in', who knows who else might show-up for dinner and how long they might stay.

Yea, we had all the bla, bla, bla about what you should theoretically keep handy; but, we were not prepared for us being just fine and other people coming to our house. It happened after the 2010 earthquake, and I never gave it much thought about it later. Our living room in Temuco turned in to a dorm. Mostly university kids and people that wanted to help out with the earthquake aid project, but the lesson was there. If your o.k. where you are at, be ready for company after a disaster.

We solved most of the family issues, by buying the lot next door, building house, and moving them to southern Chile. Which also doubled / tripled our resources. It now gives us two water tanks with several thousand litters of water (just because the water pressure sucks without them), an additional diesel 4x4, and so on. We also coordinated with several friends in the area their preparedness. Some of them live on farms with several hundred hectors of land besides our own with all the typical things you find on rural farm, independent well systems, machinery, and all sorts of animals and plants.

Much easier to pool and take inventory of collective resources before an emergency, but also thinking in terms of long-term quality of life. People can survive just about anything; but, at some point, the quantity of life considerations, needs to change to a quality and continuity of life considerations. The government may or may not have their reconstruction plans ready, but I am going to have my reconstruction plans ready. I am not living in a tent or media agua for years waiting for some politician to decide if our life is ever going to get back to "normal".

All of the above, allowed me to enjoy the fireworks show last time the volcano in front of my house went nuclear without stressing out about it too much. I stuck my dogs in the car just in case I needed to leave, and kicked back and took photos.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.