Obtaining a driving license with no education certificate

All things related to Moving to Chile, tips, tricks, FAQS. Here is where to exchange information between those that have already moved and those planning to move to Chile so you do not need to learn the hard way. Please also check Living in Chile forum for related information.
Gloria

Re: Obtaining a driving license with no education certificate

Post by Gloria » Sun Dec 31, 2017 10:30 am

lost gringo wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2017 10:04 am
Gloria wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2017 9:52 am
GabyMH wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:33 am
Wow... Thanks, Gloria...
Gaby, there's one possible way but PM me, I don't want to create a revolt in the forum. :D
Aha, so it is possible to bribe a self important, power tripping soul-less control freak Chileno bureaucrat. :lol:
Everything is possible.....one way or another! :lol: :lol:..however it's not about bribing. Desperate situations requires desperate measures. :mrgreen:
I'm from the generation of common sense, wisdom and unfiltered answers. I sayeth as I seeth.

lost gringo

Post by lost gringo » Sun Dec 31, 2017 10:33 am

Gloria wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2017 10:30 am
lost gringo wrote:
Gloria wrote:
GabyMH wrote:
Wow... Thanks, Gloria...
Gaby, there's one possible way but PM me, I don't want to create a revolt in the forum. :D
Aha, so it is possible to bribe a self important, power tripping soul-less control freak Chileno bureaucrat. :lol:
Everything is possible.....one way or another! :lol: :lol:..however it's not about bribing.
Extortion? blackmail? :D
Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.
allegedly said by Mark Twain

Gloria

Post by Gloria » Sun Dec 31, 2017 10:35 am

lost gringo wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2017 10:33 am
Gloria wrote:
lost gringo wrote:
Gloria wrote:
GabyMH wrote:
Wow... Thanks, Gloria...
Everything is possible.....one way or another! :lol: :lol:..however it's not about bribing.
Extortion, blackmail? :D
Nahhhh! a more ingenious way.... :D :D In this country you have to use creativity or you die! :lol:
I'm from the generation of common sense, wisdom and unfiltered answers. I sayeth as I seeth.

eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Sun Dec 31, 2017 11:17 am

Gifts are not coimas, an expedite fee is not a bribe.
Generally, just a SPAM KILLER. You are on your own in this forum. My personal mission here is done.

BUT when necessary, by way of ridicule and truth revelation we shalt do war.

--eeuunikkeiexpat

nwdiver

Post by nwdiver » Sun Dec 31, 2017 4:13 pm

Gloria wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2017 10:35 am
lost gringo wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2017 10:33 am
Gloria wrote:
lost gringo wrote:
Gloria wrote:
GabyMH wrote:
Wow... Thanks, Gloria...
Extortion, blackmail? :D
Nahhhh! a more ingenious way.... :D :D In this country you have to use creativity or you die! :lol:

Gloria, everyone can't possibly have gone to the same middle school for grade 8 ;)
It's all about the wine.

HybridAmbassador

Post by HybridAmbassador » Sun Dec 31, 2017 4:48 pm

eeuunikkeiexpat wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2017 11:17 am
Gifts are not coimas, an expedite fee is not a bribe.
Then you get pulled over by patrulleros. You're a foreigner, no DL on you but quickly offer a pack of Marlboro to the officer, that is not Coima but Gift? So even in Chile, Tudo Vale, andale..
HybridAmbassador. Toyota Hybrid system for helping climate change.

denmb

Post by denmb » Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:04 pm

So I m kind of confused.

If for example I have a Florida driver license can I use it in Chile? Or maybe exchange them to a Chilean one? I used them in Europe with no problems.

Thank you

dmwbmw2

Post by dmwbmw2 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:39 pm

Until you have a permanent residence carnet its very unlikely you will be hassled for driving with a valid Florida license.

Once you have a permanent residence it is necessary to get a Chilean license. There is no exchange. You have to show proof of education and do written and practical tests.

Now having said that i got my car license when i still had a temp residence, but have continued to ride motorcycles with no Chilean license for many many years after. Only recently have i been hassled for this, but this could be because i have only ever been stopped for the basic paperwork check, never for a traffic violation.

Britkid

Post by Britkid » Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:18 pm

For me the education certificate was a pain in the ass. I eventually gave up and just took the local exam which was easier and less time consuming. I wrote about my experiences here in a somewhat long article: viewtopic.php?t=16651
In 2014/2015 I blogged about my life in Chile. http://web.archive.org/web/201601121940 ... age_id=268

Space Cat

Post by Space Cat » Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:33 pm

And here's a guide to passing the exam to get the education certificate: viewtopic.php?t=16751

Kel

Post by Kel » Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:25 pm

Britkid wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:18 pm
For me the education certificate was a pain in the ass. I eventually gave up and just took the local exam which was easier and less time consuming. I wrote about my experiences here in a somewhat long article: viewtopic.php?t=16651
Agree that the local exam is the way to do. I think it is the 8th grade exam? Not even GED level. It was easy and the questions simple. My wife and I took it as did our teenage children and all passed on the same day with essentially no preparation. The difficult part was the few questions on Chilean history but if you do ok on the rest of the test it will be fine.

The hardest part of the exam, is signing up. We weren't sure how to sign up so we went to the local high school in the nearby small town and started asking questions. Very quickly, we were directed to someone who told us exactly what to do. There is a limited window to sign up that is several months in advance and it was only offered a few times a year.
Taking aim from the grassy knoll...