New Member Here

Introduce yourself, discover who else is here, and get news and information about the forum. Most of all, tell us what Chile means for you.

Moderator: eeuunikkeiexpat

RuneTheChookcha

Re: New Member Here

Post by RuneTheChookcha » Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:27 pm

Quitou wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:35 pm
I still don't think this particular resource (allchile) is for me, but I wanted to let you know I appreciate your input.
It would be difficult to compare a heavily moderated board with almost not moderated (and thus exposed to the "survival of the fittest" law). Both models have their downsides, yet they both allow one to adapt to the manner they function (possibly just for the fun of it).

Rockalbert

Post by Rockalbert » Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:38 pm

Space Cat wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2017 4:41 pm
Rockalbert wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2017 2:59 pm
Hello,
I'm peter albert and i'm new to tis community too.....I hope i'll have a great time
Hey there, are you in Chile already or just preparing to move?
preparing to move....I'll be there next month maybe

David_Bro

Post by David_Bro » Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:19 am

Hey Q-----Thanks for responding, as photographers, we have to stick together----left you a PM so check it----In regard to the All Chile Forum----no one is innocent here with some naughty posts for sure but its a great community even if some are a little cranky and looking to pick a fight----but not always the case, even with the crankier types------so hopefully you come back and make some connections, you would be surprised to see what comes up but at any rate good luck with your work.

lates, bro

PS: Besides if something goes down, Charles and his team are nice to have in your corner for sure!

###

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:27 am

If I don't moderate, people complain that I am not moderating the forum.

If I moderate, people complain that I am censoring their speech.

I just went with the one that seems to generate the least amount of complaining.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

picalena

Post by picalena » Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:38 am

While I might agree that sometimes we can be a smidge rough, I think admin's sentiment rings entirely true. If you can't handle a little abuse on a forum where you can completely ignore someone that you have never even met, probably never will meet, and isn't even in your presence, Chile is going to be a very very tough place for you when you get here. People are going to call you fat, black, retarded, short, lazy, whatever. To your face, or yelling at you across the street to get your attention. They will either give you no information, or more likely, completely wrong information or unhelpful information. Just wait until you see how they treat a line/queue. They will ignore you, cut right in front of you, yell louder than you, run you over. They will tell you a thousand times that they are coming to your house to fix the plumbing or come for onces and never fooking show up. Those rafting companies and whatnot that want to hire you - good luck with that. I can already tell you EXACTLY how that is going to end. It's a good thing you sell the whole package, because you would be appalled at the lack of the concept of intellectual property - they don't even think there is anything wrong with stealing it. The person that you really really need help from is a "low level individual" who sits behind the desk at RC and doesn't like foreigners and will tell you something that is intentionally wrong a thousand times when you know you are right.

David Bro's description of the pie and the corridors could not be any more spot on. I call Chile death by a thousand cuts. Regardless, this forum is but a mere fraction of the shite that is going to happen in Chile. If you get your panties in a wad over it, you won't make it here. If you think you are going to change people by making cute jokes about cute sayings on cute t-shirts, you are fooked. Sarcasm goes over like a lead balloon, they just don't have that gene. So toughen up a little and get over it. Gloria may have been a little rough, but the escalation came from the other side on this one, in my opinion. Snowflakes don't last in Chile. If you don't like the answer you get, just go the next slice of pie. You can ignore Gloria. Like I say, learning to not shit down your leg when a random Chilean starts screaming at you for no reason is a very handy skill to learn. I could go on for days about the changes I have seen in the gringos that actually make it here. They show up all unicorns and rainbows, and in the end they're all shotguns and f-bombs. That's how you survive in Chile. You know how I made it? I carry a f-ing axe. That's how. True story.

cheers,
pl

pd: Gosh, I miss Px.
A woodsman was once asked, “What would you do if you had just five minutes to chop down a tree?” He answered, “I would spend the first two and a half minutes sharpening my axe.” - Dubious source on the internet

Jamers41

Post by Jamers41 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:12 pm

"Sarcasm goes over like a lead balloon"? Obviously they're not Americans but I've definitely met Chileans that can handle sarcasm and even dish it back.

Of course the average person's sense of humor here is of course different..........I guess more "juvenile" is the right term in English to describe it.

And maybe I'm some exception but I certainly didn't show up here with any unicorns or rainbows, and I don't do "shotguns and f-bombs" now xD.

I understand that the thin skinned won't last long here in Chilito, but I don't need see any need to purpose to start online arguments or insult newcomers, just let them bump their heads themselves if they are really interested in doing so.

Space Cat

Post by Space Cat » Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:23 pm

Jamers41 wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:12 pm
I understand that the thin skinned won't last long here in Chilito, but I don't need see any need to purpose to start online arguments or insult newcomers, just let them bump their heads themselves if they are really interested in doing so.
Exactly this.
picalena wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:38 am
People are going to call you fat, black, retarded, short, lazy, whatever. To your face, or yelling at you across the street to get your attention. They will either give you no information, or more likely, completely wrong information or unhelpful information. Just wait until you see how they treat a line/queue. They will ignore you, cut right in front of you, yell louder than you, run you over.
I call Chile death by a thousand cuts. Regardless, this forum is but a mere fraction of the shite that is going to happen in Chile. If you get your panties in a wad over it, you won't make it here. If you think you are going to change people by making cute jokes about cute sayings on cute t-shirts, you are fooked.
Like I say, learning to not shit down your leg when a random Chilean starts screaming at you for no reason is a very handy skill to learn. I could go on for days about the changes I have seen in the gringos that actually make it here.
Each time I read something like this from immigrants, I feel like I live in a different country. Maybe it's overpopulation in the central regions to blame – after all, people from huge cities like New York are considered rude too.

I walk around the city every day and I've yet to see a person screaming at somebody. Nobody has been rude towards me (though I'm not working or doing business locally). All government official were helpful and never ever hostile.

frozen-north

Post by frozen-north » Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:29 pm

picalena wrote:
Gloria may have been a little rough, but the escalation came from the other side on this one, in my opinion.
You should re-read the thread.
pd: Gosh, I miss Px.
Px? Patagoniax? Somebody that hated Chileans so much that I wonder why he was still in Chile.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:23 pm

I don't mean for this to come off like some sort of moderation on the forum, but what the hell is this thread about?
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

Space Cat

Post by Space Cat » Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:48 pm

"Got"? Like, on its own? 🤔

tiagoabner

Post by tiagoabner » Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:56 pm

And that, kiddos, is why you don't feed the trolls.
I'm NOT your lawyer, accountant or financial planner. All information at this post should be considered for your entertainment only. Consult a professional before making a decision regarding whatever topic was mentioned in this post.

David_Bro

Post by David_Bro » Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:29 pm

Wow-----So Gloria if you are so over it why the year long thread about it explaining yourself with all the Me in blue?-----I don't get it, if you decide to make a post on a topic just say it and not get so cranky about it?-----If you were in a bar someplace talking advice with someone and you act like you do, you'd get popped in the mouth and thrown out into the street on your head----the forum can be anonymous if you choose it be so, and fine-----I guess its easy to blow up when no one knows who you are but then its just as easy to be chill-----hand off the advice and let the snowflakes find out on their own.

###