New law on keeping pets

Forum related to everything not related to our not so human friends, including importing animals, buying animals, pets, veterinarians in Chile, animal rescue causes, and anything else related to animals in Chile.
Forum rules
No advertising of any sort beyond NGO organizations or services.
Julito

Re: New law on keeping pets

Post by Julito » Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:26 pm

Culture, the majority of Chileans are deaf when it comes to barking dogs, street dogs and shit on the streets, they've grown up with it and it's still considered a normal part of their living environment. Though things are slowly changing for the better in some parts of the country, particularly where expats and tourists congregate.

fraggle092

Post by fraggle092 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:42 pm

Donnybrook wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:51 pm
Fraggle's idea of screens on doors and windows may be a good one but I don't see why I should make a major investment just because my neighbour belongs to the "Viva Yo!" fan club.
Nah, that was Gloria's idea. I find not much stops a cat from getting where it wants to go, not even barbed wire.

Along similar lines, the property next door to us briefly became a kennel several years ago, with an Argentinian guy selling dodgy pedigree dogs. A person staying with us at the time got fed up with the continual racket and suggested we buy muzzles to reduce the barking. Obviously a foreigner, yes? A local would know that any muzzles we provided would be immediately resold back to the same shop that we bought them from.

And when I complained about the flies and stink, the local health inspector, always so zealous in checking our property, could only suggest that we fumigate more often."No hay normas", he said in typical Chilean fashion. Yeah, right, fumigate more at $100.000 a session. But as it turned out there were normas,in the form of local municipal ordenanzas that prohibited kennels in urban areas. So we got the dogs out eventually, but the owner took his revenge in other ways. All along we were made to feel that it was up to us to solve a problem caused by someone else.
Après moi, le déluge

Gloria

Post by Gloria » Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:25 pm

Donnybrook wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:51 pm
Gloria wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:22 pm
How difficult would be to have made screen windows and a summer screen door to keep the critters out? Would be a good idea to keep near a spray bottle with vinegar, citrus oils, lavander even garlic.I also have another solution but I don' t think you'll going to like it..... :D
I've tried it all. I even have toy gun with plastic pellet bullets.

Actually, I think I would like your other solution very much. Say what? Oh Donnybrook, I was expecting you having a fit for my answer!!! You are always so serious as most true english women are but I found a weakness in you....CATS and I love when you "talk dirty". :lol: :lol:

Fraggle's idea of screens on doors and windows may be a good one but I don't see why I should make a major investment just because my neighbour belongs to the "Viva Yo!" fan club. Understandable however is to your benefit and I must tell you, it doesn't cost much. It's only a wooden frame with a fly or bug screen sold at Sodimac. The screen door could be a little more but is very simple to do.
I'm from the generation of common sense, wisdom and unfiltered answers. I sayeth as I seeth.

bobserb

Post by bobserb » Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:53 am

Fraggle's idea of screens on doors and windows may be a good one but I don't see why I should make a major investment just because my neighbour belongs to the "Viva Yo!" fan club. Understandable however is to your benefit and I must tell you, it doesn't cost much. It's only a wooden frame with a fly or bug screen sold at Sodimac. The screen door could be a little more but is very simple to do.
[/quote]
[/quote]
< NO EMAIL > I made my own window screens with wooden frames .Cost 3 000 pesos per window.Against mosquitoes,rats,flies.Very few houses have them.

fraggle092

Post by fraggle092 » Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:25 pm

I didn't recommend screens to keep cats out, that was Gloria's idea. Good for insects though.
One of my wife's cats shredded a steel mesh window screen and poked its head through trying to get into the kitchen.....
Cup of water to the face discouraged it though.
The steel mesh sold here rusts quite quickly in a coastal environment, 5 years at most. Bit longer if its painted.
Après moi, le déluge