Private School Santiago

All things related to Moving to Chile, tips, tricks, FAQS. Here is where to exchange information between those that have already moved and those planning to move to Chile so you do not need to learn the hard way. Please also check Living in Chile forum for related information.
Britkid

Re: Private School Santiago

Post by Britkid » Wed Nov 01, 2017 5:32 pm

My wife's family are constantly changing their children from one school to another, and to me the culture is a bit different to the UK culture which is that you stay in one school unless you move to a different area of the country.

I think it's better to spend more time unfront making sure (Ok, 80% sure is about as good as you can get) you pick the right school, and then stick with it unless it really is mediocre or your kid(s) really are unhappy. Because it is not great for kids to have to lose their friends (which realistically they will) and have to make new friends all over again.

From my experience at Trebulco (which is a bilingual school outside the city in a roughly similar range of quality to Dunalastair and Lincoln)
the kids are slow to learn English really well in the first few years at least but by age 14-15 they have got it well and are confident speaking it.

Dbilro, as I was reading through the thread, I just really you've left it very late. I think July-October is the right period to apply for a March start. I suggest you urgently contact them to find out, while adding a few more options to your list. You may end up having to settle for your third or fourth choice or deferring by a year. Or I may be wrong, what do others think?
In 2014/2015 I blogged about my life in Chile. http://web.archive.org/web/201601121940 ... age_id=268

scandinavian

Post by scandinavian » Wed Nov 01, 2017 5:45 pm

Britkid wrote:
Wed Nov 01, 2017 5:32 pm
My wife's family are constantly changing their children from one school to another, and to me the culture is a bit different to the UK culture which is that you stay in one school unless you move to a different area of the country.
is that full private schools, where you have to pay a considerable amount of money upfront to get in?
Lincoln I think is approx 3 million, if I remember correctly.

And yes, it is late to get started now for the 2018 school year - very late.

Britkid

Post by Britkid » Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:25 pm

My wife's family pay for the schools, but they are not the kind of upper middle class expensive schools we are talking about here.
In 2014/2015 I blogged about my life in Chile. http://web.archive.org/web/201601121940 ... age_id=268

danielivdp

Post by danielivdp » Tue Apr 03, 2018 1:05 pm

argendiense wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:04 pm
Chile has its own unique interpretation of bilingual education... most bilingual private schools teach in English until equivalent of 6th / 8th grade, then switch to Spanish for high school.

We just went through the process, and finished the interviews last month. It was very difficult to find a spot for our 6yr old -- he will be starting Grade 1 in March. In the end we interviewed at Lincoln and Dunalastair in Chicureo (neither had spaces at their Las Condes locations) and St Gabriel's in Providencia. He was accepted to all three.

Our experience with St Gabriel's was the same as many foreigners, as you will see on this board. That is, terrible. I would never send my child there -- they refused to show us the school because apparently they were already doing us the enormous favour of testing our child one week before they opened it up to general applications, and to show us the school would mean that other families wouldn't have the same opportunities and sarasa sarasa... the woman was very rude. And of course when I tried to explain that we were only there for 3 days to do interviews, she just went out of her way to let us know we were not welcome. So, forget them.

Lincoln and Dunalastair: Frankly we are still doubting our choice of Dunalastair over Lincoln, because Lincoln has more years of English I believe (their own literature is contradictory, in one place they say until 8th grade, in others they say until 6th). They also have after school activities included. However they are supposedly very, very homework heavy. Furthermore, in asking for feedback from parents, Lincoln parents were nowhere near as happy with their school as Dunalastair, and Dunalastair seems much more technology focused.

In the end we went for Dunalastair, with the idea that, should we decide we are not happy, we can change him after we have been there a couple of years and have a better understanding about the schools in Chile. Dunalastair won out essentially because after the interview the psicopedagoga made a point of bringing out our son and praising him in front of us, giving him an ego boost that he had performed well, rather than just a robotic "A pleasure," that we got from Lincoln. Dunalastair seemed to try to engage him a bit more and seemed to better understand that the kid is nervous about this move.

Obviously, six month from now I may be regretting my choice, but really, at this time of year spaces are very limited and you kind of just have to take what you can get. If you are willing to look in Chicureo or Peñalolen, there are more spaces. However, getting two kids into the same school is going to be a challenge. Get on the phone to them as soon as you can and line up interviews. The schools will stop receiving new applications by December 15, and some of them will do so beforehand, saying the end of school year is just too busy. After that they will close until February 1 or 15.

One of the schools that sounds good that did not have a space in first grade for us was Wenlock. Craighouse there have been positive reviews always, but there was no space for ours.

Of course if you have the budget there are El Nido and Grange.

I still have a google doc somewhere with the contact info / prices what have you of about 10 or 12 schools we considered (El Nido and Grange not within our budget). I'm not sure if I am able to post the link here, but you can send me a PM and I can pass you a link to the doc.
Hi,
could you please provide an update? It's been almost 6 months :) My wife and I are still very much undecided between Lincoln and Dunalastair, so every piece of information we can get is useful. In particular, I'm curious to know if you validated your assumptions about homework load, tech-focus, etc.
Thanks!

scandinavian

Post by scandinavian » Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:30 pm

I would strongly suggest you to apply to both and then work it out if your kids are accepted both places.

nwdiver

Post by nwdiver » Wed Apr 04, 2018 12:31 pm

danielivdp wrote:
Tue Apr 03, 2018 1:05 pm
argendiense wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:04 pm
Chile has its own unique interpretation of bilingual education... most bilingual private schools teach in English until equivalent of 6th / 8th grade, then switch to Spanish for high school.

We just went through the process, and finished the interviews last month. It was very difficult to find a spot for our 6yr old -- he will be starting Grade 1 in March. In the end we interviewed at Lincoln and Dunalastair in Chicureo (neither had spaces at their Las Condes locations) and St Gabriel's in Providencia. He was accepted to all three.

Our experience with St Gabriel's was the same as many foreigners, as you will see on this board. That is, terrible. I would never send my child there -- they refused to show us the school because apparently they were already doing us the enormous favour of testing our child one week before they opened it up to general applications, and to show us the school would mean that other families wouldn't have the same opportunities and sarasa sarasa... the woman was very rude. And of course when I tried to explain that we were only there for 3 days to do interviews, she just went out of her way to let us know we were not welcome. So, forget them.

Lincoln and Dunalastair: Frankly we are still doubting our choice of Dunalastair over Lincoln, because Lincoln has more years of English I believe (their own literature is contradictory, in one place they say until 8th grade, in others they say until 6th). They also have after school activities included. However they are supposedly very, very homework heavy. Furthermore, in asking for feedback from parents, Lincoln parents were nowhere near as happy with their school as Dunalastair, and Dunalastair seems much more technology focused.

In the end we went for Dunalastair, with the idea that, should we decide we are not happy, we can change him after we have been there a couple of years and have a better understanding about the schools in Chile. Dunalastair won out essentially because after the interview the psicopedagoga made a point of bringing out our son and praising him in front of us, giving him an ego boost that he had performed well, rather than just a robotic "A pleasure," that we got from Lincoln. Dunalastair seemed to try to engage him a bit more and seemed to better understand that the kid is nervous about this move.

Obviously, six month from now I may be regretting my choice, but really, at this time of year spaces are very limited and you kind of just have to take what you can get. If you are willing to look in Chicureo or Peñalolen, there are more spaces. However, getting two kids into the same school is going to be a challenge. Get on the phone to them as soon as you can and line up interviews. The schools will stop receiving new applications by December 15, and some of them will do so beforehand, saying the end of school year is just too busy. After that they will close until February 1 or 15.

One of the schools that sounds good that did not have a space in first grade for us was Wenlock. Craighouse there have been positive reviews always, but there was no space for ours.

Of course if you have the budget there are El Nido and Grange.

I still have a google doc somewhere with the contact info / prices what have you of about 10 or 12 schools we considered (El Nido and Grange not within our budget). I'm not sure if I am able to post the link here, but you can send me a PM and I can pass you a link to the doc.
Hi,
could you please provide an update? It's been almost 6 months :) My wife and I are still very much undecided between Lincoln and Dunalastair, so every piece of information we can get is useful. In particular, I'm curious to know if you validated your assumptions about homework load, tech-focus, etc.
Thanks!
Yes six month ago for application, one month of school time.......maybe too early to tell
It's all about the wine.

Knowing567

Post by Knowing567 » Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:59 pm

Hi,
We intend to move to Chile in the near future with a child that will be 6 years old. We are very much interested in info about schools, publicos and subvencionados. Can you tell us all the fees that ou have to pay for Colegio Dunalastair?
Thank you vert much,
MD