mail service...

Gripes and complaints about Chile. What does not kill you, only makes you stronger. Help make Chile a better place, and help other gringos avoid problems and mistakes.
eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Re: mail service...

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Sun May 02, 2010 10:04 pm

But the USPS claim they are a "private" corporation?? And service continues to decline and rates continue to increase despite it all.

Regarding the question, your ultimate problem will be with Chile Aduanas. Important points:

(1) Always better to have something shipped to you from a residential address appearing to be a family-like care package than from a business.
(2) If no choice and sent from a business address, have that businessperson classify the shipment as a "gift" with maybe an enclosed letter to you with evidence of "familiarity."
(3) If 1 or 2 can't be done, it may slip through or not. The less inside the box and the less the dollar declaration, the more likely it will slip through without a hold.

Bottomline, for clothes, personal care type items, smaller tools, parts, etc., have someone repackage and forward to you from a residential address or residential-like address in the States.
Generally, just a SPAM KILLER. You are on your own in this forum. My personal mission here is done.

BUT when necessary, by way of ridicule and truth revelation we shalt do war.

--eeuunikkeiexpat

sputnic1

Post by sputnic1 » Mon May 03, 2010 12:07 am

eeuunikkeiexpat wrote:But the USPS claim they are a "private" corporation?? And service continues to decline and rates continue to increase despite it all.

Regarding the question, your ultimate problem will be with Chile Aduanas. Important points:

(1) Always better to have something shipped to you from a residential address appearing to be a family-like care package than from a business.
(2) If no choice and sent from a business address, have that businessperson classify the shipment as a "gift" with maybe an enclosed letter to you with evidence of "familiarity."
(3) If 1 or 2 can't be done, it may slip through or not. The less inside the box and the less the dollar declaration, the more likely it will slip through without a hold.

Bottomline, for clothes, personal care type items, smaller tools, parts, etc., have someone repackage and forward to you from a residential address or residential-like address in the States.
Good. I was planning on having my sister purchase the clothing and shipping in to me. The only other question I have is shipping of professional equipment. I was planning on shipping my ultrasound, e-stim, PT equipment, and portable chiropractic tables via air cargo (Delta/AA whomever). Will my stuff get stuck in customs for an extended period of time? Only businesses can use Delta's Air Cargo from what I understand and I have to drop off the equipment at the US airport and I pick it up at the Santiago Airport. Does anyone know how that works/customs, etc. I can't ship it in the shipping container with the rest of my stuff because that container will not ship off before I begin working in Chile and without my equipment, I can't work. It'll be over the $1500 business exemption for professional equipment so I know I will have to pay a fee for the difference.

eeuunikkeiexpat

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Mon May 03, 2010 12:20 am

Air cargo is definitely outside my experience.

Charles? Hello Charles? Where the hell are you?

Read up on what Charles has arranged with periodic air cargo shipments to Temuco, I don't know if he can work something out for other locations.
Generally, just a SPAM KILLER. You are on your own in this forum. My personal mission here is done.

--eeuunikkeiexpat

Ripsigg

Post by Ripsigg » Mon May 03, 2010 1:48 am

Just a note about repackaging before sending them: Make sure the tags are removed and any other things that make the clothing look new.

sputnic1

Post by sputnic1 » Mon May 03, 2010 9:17 am

eeuunikkeiexpat wrote:Air cargo is definitely outside my experience.

Charles? Hello Charles? Where the hell are you?

Read up on what Charles has arranged with periodic air cargo shipments to Temuco, I don't know if he can work something out for other locations.

OK. This will be an important question for me to have answered. I'm planning on a 2nd business with vitamins, supplements, herbs, healthy stuff, etc. and I will be shipping in a lot of product. All this is contingent on two things: the market wanting and can afford what I offer and it being possible to ship in the product I want to offer. I can learn the cost now, but I won't understand the market for at least one-two years.

Vicki and Greg Lansen

Post by Vicki and Greg Lansen » Thu Jul 15, 2010 11:18 am

I had fairly decent experiences with Correos Chile, compared to other Central and South American countries. I was surprised at the cost for mailing ordinary envelopes and shocked at the cost for sending packages! Even inside Chile, sending a postcard was 500 pesos!

On another note, I had mail sent to me in Futa. My addrress was

My Name
Futaleufu, Reg X
Chile

I got everything sent (I think) and often received things within two weeks from the US (not counting the interruption of service due to Volcan Chaiten). There is no "delivery" service in Futa, just cubbies in alphabetical order, and big boxes for the municipality, Carabineros, and hospital. Us extranjeros had our own box which was handed to us so we could sort through and pick out what was ours. Mail for ex-pats who are seasonal visitors was actually held an entire year or more until they returned the following season. Most of the locals used the bus routes to send letters and packages for much less (100 pesos for a letter).

I applied for, received and paid for a casilla in Futa (#25) but the post master continued to toss my mail in the ex-pat box, gleefully handling it to me and sharing in my joy of finding letters from home. I repeatedly showed him my mailbox key and showed him that it actually opened my casilla, and he agreed it did indeed work. Not once did he place anything in my casilla except for mail that did not belong to me. Go figure! He was a charming fellow who also made wonderful bread (the post office doubled as a bakery). He was fired as postmaster and seemed relieved.

eeuunikkeiexpat

HEADS UP! - CORREOS STRIKE POSSIBLE

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Mon Jul 26, 2010 3:41 pm

http://www.ilovechile.cl/2010/07/26/chiles-daily-news-brief-july-26th/9868 wrote:... Postal Worker Union president Jaime Romero said that if Correos de Chile fails to comply with their demands, they will be forced to start a legal strike to begin on August 2.

The unions have declared themselves in state of alert until July 29, the final date in which the strike could be called off. Romero said that the employees are uniting and it’s probable the strike will occur since they are not willing to compromise their benefits. ...

--eeuunikkeiexpat

STORKLADY53

Post by STORKLADY53 » Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:38 am

I'm sorry...yet ANOTHER strike for services that are either non-existent or poor at best?!! Give me a break...jake.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Tue Jul 27, 2010 11:41 am

That is great. We might get our mail now that all the thieves are on strike.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

STORKLADY53

Post by STORKLADY53 » Tue Jul 27, 2010 3:37 pm

Hmmmm. You have a valid point oh wise Admin!! :D

icyman

Post by icyman » Wed Mar 09, 2016 3:13 pm

This is an old post but the question belongs here and I hope i get an answer. I am looking to establish a mailbox or something like it. I am in Argentina and my stuff is almost always stolen when I send it to me here.

I am close to Futuleufu and could drive there pretty quickly, what I would like to know is if there is a mail service there or a way I can ship packages to me that is reliable?

chesswolf

Post by chesswolf » Sun Nov 06, 2016 3:34 pm

I'll be moving to Chile in about two months, and I'll have some packages (books and things) shipped to me shortly after I get there. Do I automatically get an address just by living somewhere (ie: renting a house) or do I need to do to the correos postales offices or whatever and alert them that I am living there? Would it be best to rent a box even though the package could never fit into the box?