Housing market situation

Buying, Selling, Building, Tax issues, anything regarding real estate or properties in Chile.
Forum rules
NO DISCUSSION OF SPECIFIC REAL ESTATE AGENTS BY NAME, LINK, OR RECOMMENDATION ANYWHERE ON THE CHILE FORUM.
at46

Re: Housing market situation

Post by at46 » Wed Sep 04, 2019 1:48 pm

Julito wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 12:02 pm
Up to date Occupational Health & Safety Laws if they´re followed and enforced generally address the higher workload/productivity issues. In a previous life I spent years investigating industrial accidents and injuries but those laws had to further evolve over time as unforeseen hazards and incidents kept popping up.
Another one... rubbish collection used to be done as it´s done here, 2 blokes standing on the back steps of the truck in all weather, working fast jumping on and off, grabbing, lifting, throwing, slip and trip hazards everywhere with the occasional injuries and deaths due to falling off the back of the truck. Enter the dog/fly proof Sulo rubbish bins provided free and the truck driver operated mechanical arm to lift, empty and replace the bin on the ground. Safer, cleaner, higher productivity and two dirty hazardous jobs eliminated.
Humans are social beings. Someone doing a dirty job alone year in year out? Depression is probably the best thing they're going to end up with.

In French and Swiss hospitals I had my kid looked at by a team of doctors which included the department chief, his right-hand man, a couple of doctors in related disciplines and a bunch of their students. In Canada I had one guy whose only job was to get you to agree to an operation coz that's where he's making most of his money, to pay for his Bentley and a two million house on the hill, all at a tender age of 36.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Wed Sep 04, 2019 5:09 pm

well, chilean central bank cut to 2.0% bench mark rate. some expectation of more cuts, but I am. a bit suspicious that may not materialize as the summer gets going with such a strong dollar. waiting to see what sort of mortgage rates the banks start offering, but they are already at a historical low.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... my-weakens
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Thu Sep 05, 2019 9:13 am

well, besides the interest rate cut, it seems the stimulus package is moving ahead full throttle. 40,000 houses planned, 30,000 immediately, of which 15,000 houses for the south of chile.

https://www.df.cl/noticias/empresas/con ... 01234.html

they did the los lagos announcement the other day, and little frutillar, is getting 350 of these houses. the mayor estimates it will house about a 1,000 people, or another way to put it, about 10% of the town is getting a new house.

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

Space Cat

Post by Space Cat » Thu Sep 05, 2019 5:12 pm

at46 wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:22 am
By law, only one person in the store is allowed to touch cash.
Oh, why? What about busier stores like ferreterías with 2-3 cashiers near each other?

Space Cat

Post by Space Cat » Thu Sep 05, 2019 5:22 pm

admin wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 9:13 am
well, besides the interest rate cut, it seems the stimulus package is moving ahead full throttle. 40,000 houses planned, 30,000 immediately, of which 15,000 houses for the south of chile.

https://www.df.cl/noticias/empresas/con ... 01234.html

they did the los lagos announcement the other day, and little frutillar, is getting 350 of these houses. the mayor estimates it will house about a 1,000 people, or another way to put it, about 10% of the town is getting a new house.
Hmm, Los Ríos is one of the poorest regions but got less houses for 400k pop. than 170k pop. Magallanes who do relatively well.

pobr.jpg
viv.jpg
viv.jpg (45.79 KiB) Viewed 185 times

at46

Post by at46 » Thu Sep 05, 2019 6:35 pm

Space Cat wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 5:12 pm
at46 wrote:
Oh, why? What about busier stores like ferreterías with 2-3 cashiers near each other?
I guess it's a type of protection against the inevitable 'shrinkage' of goods. The people who cut and weigh your meat in a local carniceria, for example, give you a ticket from their electronic scale that you hand to the cashier. Or they have a SKU scanner to print those tickets. Then the cashier gives you a reciept for your money and another ticket (or the same ticket with the cashier stamp on it) that you hand to the third person who packs your goods and hands you your bag. Thus, they have a cross-check system for monitoring physical amounts of goods sold against cash recieved. And they created three jobs to do work that can easily be done by one.

Cashiers in computerized supermarkets all have their own lockable cash boxes that they bring to the check-out counter and take with them when they leave. I guess if the amount of cash they got in their box is less than the value of goods they scanned, they might have to cough up the difference.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Thu Sep 05, 2019 6:59 pm

Space Cat wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 5:12 pm
at46 wrote:
show me that law?

there are thousands of one worker shops in chile.

the old school, 3 people doing a checkout process that only one should be doing, is to keep the workers from ripping off their employer.

only recent years has it started to click with shop owners, that even if their employees rip them off from time to time it is a hell of a lot cheaper than the two extra employees slowing down sales (and being ripped off by two more employees). it was a dumb idea then, and it is dumb idea now.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Thu Sep 05, 2019 7:12 pm

those stores that do that also tend to play the 'whos on first' game. they hide their products in the back room, so you have to guess what they have. you go in and have to ask some lazy unhappy clerk what they have, that just goes, " well what do you want to buy"?

i go, "well what do have to sell"?

clerk, "well what do you want to buy"?

at that point i have lost interest and walked out.

I simply don't do buisness anymore with those sorts of shops.

and if i do by chance buy something, i am going to have to visit at least three more desks to get my product? probably, just to find out at the end when trying to pick it up they don't actually have it in stock. so, you get visit three different desks all over again to get a refund.

welcome to 2019, not 1919. fire 2/3rds of your employees, and replace them with a computer, and display your products where i can see them.

at46

Post by at46 » Thu Sep 05, 2019 11:04 pm

admin wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 6:59 pm
show me that law?
If you see thousands of stores with the three step purchasing system and a caja cabin built in every one of them, doesn't it point to some sort of regulation they're following?
admin wrote:
Store owners or their close relatives. I've yet to see a one man store run a by a hired hand.

eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Fri Sep 06, 2019 1:42 am

Doubt regulation but covering one's ass from getting ripped off by a hired hand makes total sense and making sure those hired hand/s know that one is not ignorant of that possibility also makes total sense.
Generally, just a SPAM KILLER. You are on your own in this forum. My personal mission here is done.

BUT when necessary, by way of ridicule and truth revelation we shalt do war.

--eeuunikkeiexpat

at46

Post by at46 » Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:41 am

eeuunikkeiexpat wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 1:42 am
Doubt regulation but covering one's ass from getting ripped off by a hired hand makes total sense and making sure those hired hand/s know that one is not ignorant of that possibility also makes total sense.
The system is completely inefficient in preventing theft, which is why you always see the owner in the store at all hours, and you never see a small mom and pop shop being able to open a second or third location relying on hired hands. The system does boost the number of employees and forces additional spending by the owner on the caja cabins. In the absense of a certain government regulation controlling these things, you'd see more variance around the country.

There's a huge Chinese mall in my neighbourhood that was installed a couple of years ago. And, sure enough, following that regulation, they have a check-out counter where you get a ticket that you then need to take to a separate enclosed caja booth to pay. The Chinese being effeciency freaks but also sticklers for lawful details, I can't see them setting it up that way just for fun.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:42 am

at46 wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 11:04 pm
admin wrote:
show me that law?
If you see thousands of stores with the three step purchasing system and a caja cabin built in every one of them, doesn't it point to some sort of regulation they're following?
admin wrote:
Store owners or their close relatives. I've yet to see a one man store run a by a hired hand.
they are called a "mall".