Housing market situation

Buying, Selling, Building, Tax issues, anything regarding real estate or properties in Chile.
Forum rules
NO DISCUSSION OF SPECIFIC REAL ESTATE AGENTS BY NAME, LINK, OR RECOMMENDATION ANYWHERE ON THE CHILE FORUM.
admin
Site Admin

Re: Housing market situation

Post by admin » Sun Feb 03, 2019 7:22 am

so one more funny story related to the apartment saga.

my brother owns an apartment directly across the street from the one we were renting, that he has owned for 25 years or so. he rents it out. i even lived there for a while when i first arrived in chile and it was their primary residence. bigger than the one we were renting. 2 bedroom, 2 bath, and a slightly newer building.

yea, neither he nor I even entertained the idea of us renting his apartment. talk about the worse landlord / renter mix from hell: family.

so he calls me up just before i left for santiago. the apartment situation comes up in the conversation. he mentions that they just raised the rent on his apartment to 680,000 a month, exactly what the new owner wanted for our apartment. i was like, "so you are the F$%ker that raised my rent".

the new apartment owner was probably surfing the rental advertising in the neighborhood and seen my brother's price across the street, and thought they could get the same out of us.

again the apartment was half the size of my brother's apartment, so the price was still ridiculously high for the area and the number of apartments avaible.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.