Transfer from BsAs

Introduce yourself, discover who else is here, and get news and information about the forum. Most of all, tell us what Chile means for you.

Moderator: eeuunikkeiexpat

argendiense

Transfer from BsAs

Post by argendiense » Fri Feb 10, 2017 6:01 pm

Hello to all - after 12 years in Buenos Aires, during which time I finally resigned myself to the fact my Argentine husband would most likely never leave the country and committed to a 4(!) year course to become a conference interpreter - a course that I will finally finish this december - my husband comes home from work the other day and says that we are being transferred to Chile in January 2018. Yay!? Well, we are here in Argentina suffering through 40% inflation and living on crapola pesos salaries so really, it will be a boon for us, basically 2x the salary for about the same COL once everything is factored in, and a lot more stability.

Am I thrilled? Not so much. But hey, such is life. My priority is finding a spot for my 5 year old at a good school, especially seeing as this is likely a permanent move and he will finish high school there. He was born 08-07-11 (8 jul) - here that means that he is the oldest one in his class, he starts Salita de 5 next month. The cutoff date in Argentina is the 30th June, were he 8 days older he would be going into 1st grade.

So in Chile, for March 2018 will I need to find him a spot in first grade, or do I have to be concerned with him shifting a grade as well?

When do I need to be contacting schools in order to get a spot for 2018? I have no pitutos, no contacts, no one in Chile to get us in -- oh, and no baptism certificate -- we are looking for a laico / non-religious school, bilingual, with a third language (french if poss).

I am Canadian, my husband Argentine. I assume we will be equally hated by the Chilenos? My son is dual but born in BsAs -- is it an advantage whatsoever in terms of getting a spot for him at a school to play up my Canadian-ness? ie should I pretend to be completely new to the Latin American game, or should I just be a pushy Porteña?

Ugh somewhat dreading this whole thing. Any advice re the schools would be welcomed, once that is settled I shall have to tackle what on earth I will do there.

saludos

Space Cat

Re: Transfer from BsAs

Post by Space Cat » Fri Feb 10, 2017 6:29 pm

Catch-22: expecting the whole nation to hate you can really spoil your daily interactions with people and probably make them dislike you.

at46

Post by at46 » Fri Feb 10, 2017 6:38 pm

Post this on https://www.facebook.com/groups/DiscoverChile/ Lots of Canadians there, including the owner of the group. The local equivalent for Porteña would be cuica, I think. So, yeah, playing up your Canadianness and being able to switch into the cuica mode as needed will serve you well here, I'm sure :)

There's also an Argie group, which you may or may not find helpful https://www.facebook.com/groups/116499891747791/

Britkid

Post by Britkid » Fri Feb 10, 2017 10:12 pm

My son would be
born April 2012
Pre-Kinder 2017
Kinder 2018
1st Grade 2019

so born July 2011
would be 1st grade 2018

I suppose

I don't know when the cutoff date is here, I would have thought January 1st or something like that would make the most sense, and I thought that was how they did it, but I am not that confident.

For a March, 2018 start I would visit Chile in August this year to do interview and visit the schools. I would identify the schools you want first, then look on their websites at the admissions procedure, then contact them around May/June and ask them if they agree August is a good time to visit. They may not actually allocate places until September/October in some cases when they know if any kids are leaving, however a good time to visit could be August. That was how we did it anyway. However definately contact individual schools for advice.

Where are you going to be living?

From what I heard and from my experience you need your pituto for really top schools like Grange and Santiago College, we didn't get very far with them without however other good schools we got offered a place without such pituto.

Donnybrook

Post by Donnybrook » Fri Feb 10, 2017 11:16 pm

From what I heard and from my experience you need your pituto for really top schools like Grange and Santiago College, we didn't get very far with them without however other good schools we got offered a place without such pituto.
Worked at both and definitely not true. Trying the pituto route usually got you to the bottom of the pile and not the top.

eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Fri Feb 10, 2017 11:50 pm

Donnybrook wrote:
Worked at both and definitely not true. Trying the pituto route usually got you to the bottom of the pile and not the top.
Good to hear merit over connection (and even a penalty for that) for a change :thumright:
Generally, just a SPAM KILLER. You are on your own in this forum. My personal mission here is done.

BUT when necessary, by way of ridicule and truth revelation we shalt do war.

--eeuunikkeiexpat

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Sat Feb 11, 2017 7:28 am

no one cares that your from Argentina, no more than anyone cares that your husband in Canadian. There are plenty of both in Chile, and neither is much of novelty.

As for the schools, got money no problem. Got a little bit less money, then it might be a bit more of problem. Typically there is some private school somewhere that will make space. Might take some work on short notice, but they are out there.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

scandinavian

Post by scandinavian » Sat Feb 11, 2017 2:38 pm

Agreel with Admin. Your nationalities will not be a problem. Friendly banter at the most.
However finding the right school in the right neighborhood is what should be your concern. I would suggest visiting in March/ April to figure out what areas fit with your budget, commute, schools, expectations etc.
Your son will start in 1st grade. Cut off date is either 31/12 or 31/3 depending on school. School year runs from March to December.