iphone options for travel in Chile?

Anything at all (keep it clean) goes here that does not fit in to any of the other forums.

Moderator: eeuunikkeiexpat

rfinmdusa

iphone options for travel in Chile?

Post by rfinmdusa » Tue Feb 07, 2017 12:31 pm

Hi All,

I will be in Chile(Chiloe) next week and am looking into options for cell/data service with an iphone. I have an unlocked phone5 and a locked iphone7 with ATT service in the US. My original idea, after searching threads here, was to get a sim card for the iphone 5 and use it. Today looking at AAT’s website I see they are advertising what they call “AT&T Passport” which supposedly lets me use my US iphone7 for talk text and data for $40USD for 30 days by using an ATT app I would load on the phone. They do not say how much data I will get, if I am using my plans data or if I will be charged for calls and data used. I don't really trust what the folks at the ATT store say. I am worried it might be like a plan they had ~10 years ago that only seemed to route my phone to the most expensive carrier in Chile so I ended up with a $200 bill when I came home.

Does anyone have experience with AT&T Passport in Chile or should I just get and use a SIM card in Chile for the iphone5.

Thanks

snobrd4life

Re: iphone options for travel in Chile?

Post by snobrd4life » Tue Feb 07, 2017 2:51 pm

Just get the SIM for the iPhone 5. A nano sim from Claro with 2gb of data and like 300 minutes will run you around CLP 7000. Whatsapp and other social networks are included and won't use your data. You could then tether the data to the iPhone 7 if you want.

AT&T passport is a ripoff and it only gives you like 200mb of data. You're way better off walking into any Claro branch.

Wife just did it last week in Viña and had to go to about 4 different Claro stores/booths until she could find one that had any prepaid Claro nano SIMs. The sales reps claim that the tourist Argies are depleting their stock almost as soon as they get in. YMMV as you will probably be stopping in Santiago first. Hell, anywhere that isn't a beach you will probably have better luck.
"When ignorance reigns, life is lost." Zack de la Rocha
Not in Chile for now, but still lurking.

eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Tue Feb 07, 2017 3:04 pm

Seems to be pretty accurate and up-to-date:

http://prepaid-data-sim-card.wikia.com/wiki/Chile
Generally, just a SPAM KILLER. You are on your own in this forum. My personal mission here is done.

BUT when necessary, by way of ridicule and truth revelation we shalt do war.

--eeuunikkeiexpat

rfinmdusa

Post by rfinmdusa » Tue Feb 07, 2017 3:12 pm

Thanks guys!

ATT is sneaky like that.I'll get the SIM in the Santiago Airport or the mall in Puerto Montt.

passport

Post by passport » Wed Feb 08, 2017 7:07 pm

In this moment I am dealing with the same issue. Came from the States last weekend with an iPhone SE purchased new, factory unlocked, from the Apple store. Put in my Movistar chip at the airport and got no data connection. Went to Movistar office in airport, agent called the central office. Central office said my chip is old (2015) and needs to be updated with a new one - only at a full fledged Movistar office. Bought a new Prepago chip at a kiosk, again no data service. Went to the Movistar ofc in Pto Montt. The agent put my chip in his phone and data worked fine. He put his chip in my phone and data worked fine. He said "you have an equipment problem, go to the Apple Store at Paseo Costanera. First agent there put my chip in his phone, data worked fine. Put his chip in my phone, data worked fine. Had no ideas on how to solve my problem. The store "Genius" showed up in a few minutes. He put my chip in his phone, data worked fine.
He put his WOM chip in my phone and data did not work. He said it is because I have a CDMA instead of GSM phone from the US. However he couldn't answer the question of why with two other Movistar chips the data worked on the same day .
After two days dedicated to
chasing this problem I said forget it, I'm just gonna enjoy my vacation. However I'd still like to straighten it out and have full access to the service I'm paying for, especially for future visits .
Moral of the story (as usual) - if your time is limited watch out that you don't squander your precious vacay on something you can possibly do without.
PS: plea for help - should I buy another Movistar chip and hope for full functionality, go to a different phone company, or ???
Thanks for ideas.

at46

Post by at46 » Wed Feb 08, 2017 8:45 pm

According to http://willmyphonework.net, your iphone se won't work on Movistar 4G LTE, but should work in 2g and 3g. Should work in 4G on WOM, maybe try that?

passport

Post by passport » Wed Feb 08, 2017 8:59 pm

Thanks for looking into it. MOVISTAR does work in 3G on my phone . However the genius had
WOM 4G and that chip didn't work in my phone.
(Corrected my story above to clarify this point)
If the OP Is using ATT in the US then he/she is likely to find the same problem I'm having in Chile. According to willmyphonework.net, WOM is the only company whose 4G LTE will work with that phone. WOM says their prepago chip can be bought in Pto Montt at PC Factory nearly across the street from Ripley at Paseo Costanera.
But, I repeat, the WOM data did not work in my phone when the Apple Store tried his chip in it , contrary to what it says on the willmyphone site says.

milos99

Post by milos99 » Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:26 pm

ATT recently rolled out a new program that is a nice alternative to the Passport concept (which we have used happily for a couple years as needed). It's a $10/day charge which allows your same US account settings/allowances (including 'unlimited' items) to be used against the international use.
My wife used it successfully last month while in Chile.

eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:42 pm

Another aside (wayyy aside). my US AT&T SIM is what allowed my dumb phone to send a text message to my Mom in the US and my now wife in Santiago in those dark hours after the 2010 earthquake whereas my Movistar SIM was utterly useless.
Generally, just a SPAM KILLER. You are on your own in this forum. My personal mission here is done.

BUT when necessary, by way of ridicule and truth revelation we shalt do war.

--eeuunikkeiexpat

Space Cat

Post by Space Cat » Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:47 am

There are 2 iPhone SE models - US and international. They have different LTE ranges.

Band list:
http://www.apple.com/iphone/LTE/#iphone-se

Chilean bands:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_LTE_networks

Claro, Entel, Movistar (and Virgin): 700 and 2600
WOM: 1700

US iPhone SE will work only on 700.

rfinmdusa

Post by rfinmdusa » Thu Feb 09, 2017 11:16 am

My unlocked iphone5 is a 5s model A1533 which, from Apples website, is a GSM phone. According to what passport posted above and http://willmyphonework.net, a WOM SIM card should work on in it. The ATT $10/day plan mentioned by milos99 is called AT&T International Day Pass and requires a Mobile share plan or and AT&T unlimited plan and would work on my AT&T iPhone7. When I upgraded phones the plan was to keep the iphone5s and use it for when we are in Chile. I don't really trust my ability to understand what the AT&T folks tell me and I don't want to end up with a large recurring bill. It really pisses me off when large corporations try worming money out of me and I have to spend hours on the phone to get a few dollars posted back to my account. $80 for 8 days using the Day Pass would probably be OK if they didn't state that if you have background APPs running on the phone you would get additional charges, that's the wormy part of AT&T I'm trying to avoid.

I'll be in PM Monday evening and will post back my success or failure with the iphone5s

scandinavian

Post by scandinavian » Thu Feb 09, 2017 11:39 am

As I understand the WOM 4G network, then it does not cover all of Chile. Where they have no coverage, they use Claro network. Quite possible the 1700 AWS network does not cover Pto Montt.