rising anti-immigration politics in the Chilean Election

All things related to Moving to Chile, tips, tricks, FAQS. Here is where to exchange information between those that have already moved and those planning to move to Chile so you do not need to learn the hard way. Please also check Living in Chile forum for related information.
eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Re: rising anti-immigration politics in the Chilean Election

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Sat Apr 13, 2019 3:14 pm

It is a mixed bag, many Chileans may resent immigrants and especially may vent if they know the conversation will not be leaked (my Chilean wife and I have heard them) but then in the street, they will be very courteous towards them and even buy from that foreigner street vendor or gift them something. My wife gave an old bed frame to one of her Venezuelan workers in her previous job (she was extremely grateful) and I sold my old mattress at a cheap price to a Venezuelan two blocks away.
Generally, just a SPAM KILLER. You are on your own in this forum. My personal mission here is done.

BUT when necessary, by way of ridicule and truth revelation we shalt do war.

--eeuunikkeiexpat

41southchile

Post by 41southchile » Sat Apr 13, 2019 3:48 pm

Space Cat wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2019 2:37 pm
at46 wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2019 2:27 pm
In Santiago Chileans in customer facing jobs have started to smile their tortured smiles and try to do small, customer friendly talk. It's so hard for them, poor souls. It's a big change that has caught them completely unprepared. It's like a whole class of people have found themselves completely useless overnight.
Oh please no, fake smiles and fake interest in a customer is what I couldn’t stomach during my visits to the US. And I don’t want to have a “small talk” with people I don’t already know.

Luckily, nothing like this in the south so far — only the usual politeness and friendliness.
Haha Haha, I know how you feel, I cant stand that in NZ now either when I go back, cashiers at the supermarket smiling saying "hi, hows your day been ?" In my mind I think of all the inappropriate things I could say back, but end up just fake smiling back and say busy or good.
Comuna Loncotoro Lakes Region Chile

41southchile

Post by 41southchile » Sat Apr 13, 2019 4:25 pm

Kel wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2019 2:36 pm
Not so many immigrants in the south where I am yet. People's opinions are mainly driven by what they see on the news.

From my own perspective, the immigrants from Venezuela seem to be entering Chile legally. So I think its great that they can escape a bad situation in their own country. Hats off to the Chileans who accept them warmly and help them.
I dont know, of the 1.000.000 or so immigrants that came in 2015 to 2017 even by the Chile governments own estimates only a third of them were in an irregular situation.
From my perspective, The whole thing in Chile has been blown completely out of portion by many on the extreme righ. The ironic thing is in fact most of the time it was those are traditionally on the right (empressarios) that soaked up a lot of that labour , how else could the agriculture and horticulture boom over the last three to 4 years have happened without all that extra labour?

Thats the thing I find interesting and it's like that in many places I guess especially the states too perhaps (England, Australia, NZ too)?

Is its certainly not the bussiness people on the right that are advocating immigration control (I.e less immigrants) it's the "they took my job" type generally lower down the scale that feel displaced in the 21st century and angry at the world, and immigrants are an easy target because some right wing politicians can stir up some nostalgic sentiments and make them feel listened to again, while screaming it's some left wing conspiracy towards open borders.

Guess we are all just puppets in this world and we all have our masters pulling the strings one way or another.
Comuna Loncotoro Lakes Region Chile

mem

Post by mem » Sat Apr 13, 2019 6:51 pm

Kel wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2019 1:50 pm
Its very interesting to watch the Chilean sentiment on immigration change. By virtue of being an ExPat over the past 3 years I have had many nationals launch into a diatribe about "the wall" and how awful the idea is. Some of these people I only met for the first time and I hadn't said anything about the wall or any other political subject but they felt it their duty to excoriate me over "the wall." (Like I was the one talking about building it). Suddenly that has changed. Some have recently even told me that Chile should consider building a wall. I've shared my view that I'm all for legal immigration but not for illegal immigration. It used to be that they didn't get it. Now they are getting it. Some are even calling for a ban on legal immigration. That is step beyond even what the US is even attempting. Chilean sentiment is changing.
That is too funny, Chile is probably one of the best examples of having geographic walls naturally. I think some of the native chileans pride themselves on keeping up with current events and hot button issues in the US. So for them it is cool to have an impassioned opinion related to the drama of the US.

eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Sat Apr 13, 2019 8:39 pm

Not all Venezuelans are legal and hard working or grateful.

ONG acusó que grupo de extranjeros "no quieren nada, ni trabajo ni pieza donde dormir"
https://www.soychile.cl/Valparaiso/Soci ... raiso.aspx
...“da vergüenza que migrantes de mi tierra no acepten trabajos ni ayuda de los chilenos y sólo busquen hacer plata fácil".

La compatriota relató que vio cómo en un par de horas pudieron reunir $80 mil...
Generally, just a SPAM KILLER. You are on your own in this forum. My personal mission here is done.

BUT when necessary, by way of ridicule and truth revelation we shalt do war.

--eeuunikkeiexpat

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Sun Apr 14, 2019 5:54 pm

well the articles like this are not helping. the comments below are telling.

https://www.latercera.com/que-pasa/noti ... do/612627/

but the ignorant of the world chileans are getting very quick to point fingers for all their problems at immigrants. which, if your a politician that is not pro-immigration, is probably useful distraction.

The same (really) old story, just new to chileans. barbarians at the gates and all that. Wash it all down with some bread and circus.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

Julito

Post by Julito » Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:53 pm

"Haha Haha, I know how you feel, I cant stand that in NZ now either when I go back, cashiers at the supermarket smiling saying "hi, hows your day been ?" In my mind I think of all the inappropriate things I could say back, but end up just fake smiling back and say busy or good."

They´re doing it in Australia too. My standard reply is, "Fantastic thanks, I´ve just been diagnosed with terminal brain cancer and someone shot my dog".