would we be nuts to bring my 2 yorkies on vacation with us?

Forum related to everything not related to our not so human friends, including importing animals, buying animals, pets, veterinarians in Chile, animal rescue causes, and anything else related to animals in Chile.
Forum rules
No advertising of any sort beyond NGO organizations or services.
Space Cat

Re: would we be nuts to bring my 2 yorkies on vacation with us?

Post by Space Cat » Sun Jul 01, 2018 4:41 pm

Chilean SAG has specific time frames for both vaccines (more than a month before arrival but not more than a year) and external+internal anti-parasite treatment (less than a month before arrival):
http://www.sag.gob.cl/ambitos-de-accion ... e-compania

thisisreallycomplicated

Post by thisisreallycomplicated » Sun Jul 01, 2018 7:45 pm

You might need to rule out some cheaper flights, if they don't work for your dog.
“Now it’s conspiracy – they’ve made that something that should not even be entertained for a minute, that powerful people might get together and have a plan. Doesn’t happen, you’re a kook, you’re a conspiracy buff!” – George Carlin

MikieO

Post by MikieO » Sun Jul 01, 2018 10:57 pm

nwdiver wrote:
Sun Jul 01, 2018 3:48 pm
Figure out the crate size and call the airlines, they have set prices for pet travel, some flights may be excluded, I have never figured out why......
OK, that's getting closer. I'll call AA tomorrow.
“Now, a lifetime of experience has left me bitter and cynical.” ~ Calvin & Hobbes

thisisreallycomplicated

Post by thisisreallycomplicated » Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:37 am

One other thing to keep in mind is, even if your dog is healthy enough to travel now (and pass inspection), he might not be in the future. It's probably not worth worrying about, but just something to be aware of if you can't easily change your travel plans.
“Now it’s conspiracy – they’ve made that something that should not even be entertained for a minute, that powerful people might get together and have a plan. Doesn’t happen, you’re a kook, you’re a conspiracy buff!” – George Carlin

lost gringo

Post by lost gringo » Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:36 am

I don't know if the rules have changed as the last time I traveled with my 65lb Labrador to Chile from the U.S was 4 years ago but back then I first had to find an APIS registered veterinarian who completed a health certificate for my dog.
Rabies and Parvo shots have to be up to date. Nothing was required for parasites but that may have changed, the SAG website should give you the current requirements. Cost: $125 for each certificate only as vaccinations were current and had been done in Chile.
I then had to take that certificate to a USDA office to have it stamped and verified. Cost: $100 each certificate.

At that time American Airlines charged $350 to transport the dog from SFO to Puerto Montt via Santiago. You have to inquire about each flight as some planes are not equipped to carry animals. You must also notify them well in advance. Cost: $350.
Small dogs may be allowed to travel in the cabin with you at no or little charge. Be aware that the number of dogs allowed in the cabin of each flight is limited and that the airlines have recently changed the requirements allowing for pets in cabin.

Upon arrival at SCL presented documents to SAG without problems or delay. There was always 4 or 5 people who didn't have proper documents and could be seen arguing with SAG while I sailed through so make sure everything is in order.

Hope this helps.

i
Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.
allegedly said by Mark Twain

picalena

Post by picalena » Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:22 pm

One very important consideration is going to be temperatures when you are planning to travel back and forth. There are minimum and maximum temps for departure and arrival. That prohibited us from being able to travel with our larger dogs based on our necessary travel times of the year and destinations. We traveled out of DFW to Chile, so I will tell you that will severely limit when you can travel, because there are many months out of the year that it is too hot to leave DFW even on the red-eye nighttime departure. Add the complexity of opposite seasons, and it can be like threading a needle to find the right days that are not too hot or too cold. The small dog, though, was easily smuggled in the cabin on the plane and the bus (a great traveler). But shhhh, don't tell anyone! 8)

Suerte,
pl
A woodsman was once asked, “What would you do if you had just five minutes to chop down a tree?” He answered, “I would spend the first two and a half minutes sharpening my axe.” - Dubious source on the internet