shutdown-chile does it again

Chile Investment, how to invest in Chile, what to watch out for when investing, economic issues, currency exchange in Chile, and more.
ExpatBob

Re: shutdown-chile does it again

Post by ExpatBob » Sun Aug 23, 2015 2:09 pm

admin wrote:
ExpatBob wrote: It has got to come down to cultural isolation.
Probably the biggest deciding factor. Crossroads countries like Turkey, Morocco, and north central Europe (Netherlands/Denmark/Sweden) seem to turn out people who speak a handful of languages fluently and are not afraid of foreigners. But then again all countries turn out a few exceptional people who will rise above the crowd of knuckledraggers; maybe it's just the rare spark of initiative that forces them all out of their snail shell so they are then willing to go expose themselves to foreign things in the pursuit of profit.

seawolf180

Post by seawolf180 » Sun Aug 23, 2015 2:26 pm

http://www.marinetraffic.com/en/p/mobile

This appears to be the best app to track marine vessels. Pretty complete, though coverage is limited to areas near ports, in which case you need to do some estimating regarding arrivals and departures.

We've enjoyed spotting and identifying ships. Which there aren't a lot of. Gets you thinking, educational.
Don't Tread On Me Either.
crtv.com
conservativereview.com
Question Authority!

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Sun Aug 23, 2015 8:05 pm

eeuunikkeiexpat wrote:
admin wrote:Yet, but, an advertising touting panamas economy as a place to invest i read yeasterday said panama was chasing chile at the most stable economy in latin america.

Location, location, location.
And if a new canal that could handle post-panamax was built, Chile would indeed be in a f'ed situation.
yea, seen the new construction yesterday from a boat in the canal. It is slated to open in 2016, but they of course hired a Spanish company to do the concrete and it leaked on the first test. the failure is a big national scandal at the moment everyone is talking about. I had a good chuckle with a taxi driver yesterday and told him "join the party, we got a bridge that is backwards in Chile". At least our bridge is not 1.5 billion over budget, and critical to the national economy.

I don't know Panama has a really forced artificial feel about it. Kind of mix between las vegas and Shenzhen china. quite a few incomplete or stalled construction projects around, just counting buildings that are not complete and the cranes are MIA. I am sure there are a few more with the cranes still standing next to them. I guess as long as more get completed than abandoned they are o.k.

The left likes to scream about the income inequality in Chile, but it is really, really obvious in Panama. Drove through a neighbourhood earlier today, where the taxi driver pointed out it was the second most dangerous neighbourhood in Panama. As you drive down the highway, they have these incredible advertisings for brand new leave it to beaver style homes and apartments, painted on the side of a total slum. No way you are telling me that the Chile's income gap is even close to that. It just does not count as an income gap, because the the top end are not citizens. They are just parking their money here, playing for the weekend, and so on.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

john

Post by john » Sun Aug 23, 2015 9:00 pm

Apparently, Panama's overall inequality is declining. There is a rising middle class while significant progress has been made to reduce the poverty rate.

http://www.worldbank.org/en/country/panama/overview

OECD says Chile has widest inequality gap.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/oecd-says-c ... ality-gap/
One must care about a world one will not see.
--- Bertrand Russell

seawolf180

Post by seawolf180 » Mon Aug 24, 2015 2:04 pm

http://www.wsj.com/articles/chile-keeps ... 1440371282

Actually reflects commentary from this Forum.
Don't Tread On Me Either.
crtv.com
conservativereview.com
Question Authority!

ExpatBob

Post by ExpatBob » Mon Aug 24, 2015 2:13 pm

The worst I have ever seen it is in Asia. Within the Americas, the worse I have seen is in Brazil and/or Guatemala. Chilean slums are luxurious in comparison.

Space Cat

Post by Space Cat » Mon Aug 24, 2015 6:12 pm

seawolf180 wrote:http://www.wsj.com/articles/chile-keeps ... 1440371282

Actually reflects commentary from this Forum.
From IT guy's point of view, the StartUp Chile is a nonsense. They're funding awkward projects like crypto-currencies, for example.

We had a medium-sized startup in Ukraine and it cost us multiple times more than US$40k for a year, despite software engineer salaries being lower in Ukraine. Even if the company is only 3 people, it's just 5 months of work for US$2000/month + some rent & utility payments. And that means participants must bring their own laptops.

What kind of foreign engineers and entrepreneurs do they expect for US$2k/month?

(And they are so Santiago-centered. It's an expensive and uncomfortable city, there's no reason to keep foreign IT startup in Santiago. Even Viña will attract more people.)

Then again, where do you get next rounds of investments? Do they think the startup must become profitable in 3-4 months from start?

Of course any more or less successful company will move to Bay Area after they burn Chilean money for the MVP (minimum valuable product).

That's silly on so many levels. They could spend these funds on IT education camps for poor Chilean kids, but instead they are just wasting money for nothing.

Andres

Post by Andres » Mon Aug 24, 2015 7:51 pm

Space Cat wrote:That's silly on so many levels. They could spend these funds on IT education camps for poor Chilean kids, but instead they are just wasting money for nothing.
In my humble opinion, I think you misunderstand their motivation.
Such a program creates the APPARENCY of doing something productive to encourage progress.
In the government world, apparency is more important than any other factor; it is what keeps them in power and dupes like John believing in their value.
Chile: My expectations are low. Very low.
I accept chaos. I'm not sure whether it accepts me.

Andres

Post by Andres » Mon Aug 24, 2015 7:56 pm

john wrote:Apparently, Panama's overall inequality is declining. There is a rising middle class while significant progress has been made to reduce the poverty rate.

You naively believe their statistics?
Governments, to a greater or lesser degree, manipulate statistics to suit themselves. If not blatantly falsifying them, then at least by defining them in a way which makes them useless or misleading. ("GDP" is a perfect example.)
The OECD is a governmental organisation with its own agenda; its statistics too are perverted whose statistics are intended to misdirect the unwary.
Chile: My expectations are low. Very low.
I accept chaos. I'm not sure whether it accepts me.

Space Cat

Post by Space Cat » Mon Aug 24, 2015 8:56 pm

Andres wrote:
Space Cat wrote:That's silly on so many levels. They could spend these funds on IT education camps for poor Chilean kids, but instead they are just wasting money for nothing.
In my humble opinion, I think you misunderstand their motivation.
Such a program creates the APPARENCY of doing something productive to encourage progress.
In the government world, apparency is more important than any other factor; it is what keeps them in power and dupes like John believing in their value.
I'm sure that free education camps for their own voters will create some apparency.

Instead they're just going into cargo-cult to look like US.

john

Post by john » Tue Aug 25, 2015 1:12 am

Andres wrote:
john wrote:Apparently, Panama's overall inequality is declining. There is a rising middle class while significant progress has been made to reduce the poverty rate.

You naively believe their statistics?
Governments, to a greater or lesser degree, manipulate statistics to suit themselves. If not blatantly falsifying them, then at least by defining them in a way which makes them useless or misleading. ("GDP" is a perfect example.)
The OECD is a governmental organisation with its own agenda; its statistics too are perverted whose statistics are intended to misdirect the unwary.
If you have any credible evidence that refutes the poverty and income inequality statistics cited, then please enlighten us. We do however agree that GDP is a misleading indicator of "standard of living".
--- Bertrand Russell

john

Post by john » Tue Aug 25, 2015 1:18 am

Andres wrote: In the government world, apparency is more important than any other factor; it is what keeps them in power and dupes like John believing in their value.
Your very predictable anti-government stance on all matters is becoming very boring. Suggest you get out more.
--- Bertrand Russell