Move to Chile with Pregnant Wife?

All things related to Moving to Chile, tips, tricks, FAQS. Here is where to exchange information between those that have already moved and those planning to move to Chile so you do not need to learn the hard way. Please also check Living in Chile forum for related information.
juan_libertad

Move to Chile with Pregnant Wife?

Post by juan_libertad » Wed May 27, 2015 10:44 pm

So, my wife and I (recently married), have been planning a move to Chile for about three months now. Our plan was to scout out Santiago and Valparaiso and choose a place to live for a year or two. Then we found out she's pregnant.

We are comfortably budgeted to land, find a place to live and a job for me (I'm planning to teach English to get a foothold). But, this whole pregnancy thing is introducing a lot of unknowns into our plan.

What I'd like to know is how practical it would be for us to follow through with our original plan AND have a baby in Chile. I've read here that if I have a job and temp work visa, I can get insurance through FONASA with a rider policy to cover a private clinic birth. Is this a practical plan? Any estimates on the cost of pregnancy and birth in Chile would be much appreciated.

I've dug through some of the posts here about similar situations, but haven't found a whole lot of info regarding the time it takes to get insured and the approximate cost of pregnancy in Chile.

Lastly, I am also under the impression that we are able to apply for Chilean citizenship for the child. Is this true? How often are these applications denied?

Thanks in advance!

bow26

Re: Move to Chile with Pregnant Wife?

Post by bow26 » Wed May 27, 2015 11:23 pm

Hi Juan,

My wife had a baby last year and she was covered by Fonasa. We paid something around CLP 250.000 under the "Bono PAD" system (I think this is the rider policy you are referring to) whereby women can have babies in private clinics for a fixed, subsidised fee. Our son was born at the Clinica Davila in Santiago and we highly recommend it.

The only snag with this system is that it's only in week 37 or 38 of the pregnancy that the obstetrician will sign you off for it, as it doesn't cover certain scenarios (complex or high risk pregnancies). So we planned cost-wise for paying private fees as well just in case.

Other than that cost, there were no other significant costs, the check ups for my wife before the birth and for the baby after the birth cost around CLP 5.000 each.

In terms of time frame, my wife was already in the 7th month of her pregnancy when we started getting all her Fonasa paperwork ready and we managed to do it in time for the birth.

As with all things Chile, I would recommend allowing as much time as possible and planning for all eventualities just in case.

I can't help you re the citizenship query as my wife is Chilean, but any other questions you have let me know!

amanaplan

Post by amanaplan » Wed May 27, 2015 11:27 pm

My wife, who is Chilean, just had our second child here. She is covered by Fonasa. We used Clinica Davila - costs will vary with other clinics, but this should give you a rough idea. Costs for her were about 5000 pesos per consultation with the obstetrics and gynecology doctor - these were initially once a month and then in the last couple of months every two weeks, then every week in the two or three weeks. Scans / ultrasounds were about 11000 (two of these), and 'doppler' scans were about 47000 (two of these also). The main expense is obviously the birth itself. Under Fonasa you can purchase what is called a 'bono PAD' at 37 weeks which covers you for a normal birth and stay for two nights in the clinic. This was 246,000 pesos. If the birth is premature it will cost you more - potentially a lot I would imagine if it's very premature and has to be in intensive care etc., but I couldn't give you a figure. I understand the 'bono PAD' also covers a caesarian, but we didn't have that so I can't tell you much more.

So basically if your wife can be covered by Fonasa it shouldn't be too expensive. That's the key "if" though. It's probably worth saying that it's your wife who needs to be covered by Fonasa, since she's going to be the one giving birth. I don't know how it works with adding your wife if you are covered. If you don't have insurance, obviously it will be much more expensive - my wife reckons about 2,000,000 pesos for the birth.

You might be better having the baby where you are, and postponing your move.

Donnybrook

Post by Donnybrook » Thu May 28, 2015 3:48 am

Aside from the practical issues surrounding having a baby here, it seems to me - being a female of the species - that it would be enough to deal with a change of country without throwing in being pregnant at the same time. Culture shock and hormones are a strong cocktail. Unless you have no access to health care where you are and the law is at your heels, I would say have that baby where you are in familiar territory with friends or family hopefully nearby. Settle into family life for about three months and then make the move.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Thu May 28, 2015 9:23 am

We have had a lot of clients have babies in the country. Some were pregnant when they arrive, many more after they arrived. I really should do a current head count on our next generation of clients.

You can spend anywhere from a few million pesos on the low end, to say 20 or 30 million for a super-high risk complicated birth at a one of the more expensive private clinics. A friend of mine spent so much money at Clinica Alemania in Santiago, they gave him a free parking space for life (really). Think that was a marketing gimmick to make sure the baby would not go to other clinics for medical services.

Having the baby in Chile is not a problem most of the time.

Getting insured might be a problem. The insurance companies might claim an pre-existing condition exclusion, if your wife is already pregnant when she arrives. Even then, there is typically a several month wait for new insurance to kick in. It can depend on the insurance companies own policies, the particular policy of the company, various laws that apply (some things they can not exclude, others they can).

A baby born in Chile is a Chilean citizen, unless you were in "transit" (e.g. tourist).
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

andrechile

Post by andrechile » Thu May 28, 2015 12:42 pm

juan_libertad wrote:Lastly, I am also under the impression that we are able to apply for Chilean citizenship for the child. Is this true? How often are these applications denied?
YES, it would not be easy to leave the country without a Chilean ID Card and Passport if the Child is born in Chile. Definately a Chilean Citizen.

AHusband

Post by AHusband » Thu May 28, 2015 2:46 pm

We got pregnant shortly after we arrived in Chile. Our marriage was used to get her visa but was not registered in Chile (required to put a spouse on FONASA). Initially we didn't act fast because 'how long should it take?'. However, the bureaucrats didn't care and my marriage wasn't registered until 36-37 weeks. We got FONASA a week later or something (so a near thing).

I believe that if you are not employed or she is not registered as your wife, she can get on FONASA due to being pregnant. This takes a large number of months though (more than 3, I am pretty sure). My understanding is that this is true even if she doesn't have a visa.

We were told by the ISAPRE that they would sign us up if she wasn't showing (no need to register marriage). We did not explore this until 6 months though (too late). We could pay extra to not have to wait for the start of coverage though.

AHusband

Post by AHusband » Thu May 28, 2015 2:48 pm

Oh, it was not expensive, maybe 300k for the private clinic. And our daughter was chilean at birth (this made the next visa application easier).

AHusband

Post by AHusband » Thu May 28, 2015 2:50 pm

Donnybrook wrote:Aside from the practical issues surrounding having a baby here, it seems to me - being a female of the species - that it would be enough to deal with a change of country without throwing in being pregnant at the same time. Culture shock and hormones are a strong cocktail. Unless you have no access to health care where you are and the law is at your heels, I would say have that baby where you are in familiar territory with friends or family hopefully nearby. Settle into family life for about three months and then make the move.
While it turned out OK and was much cheaper than the US (and my wife's mother was able to stay with us for 6 weeks), I very much agree with this.

My wife would not have another baby away from her support network.

It was a hard experience for her and stressful for us.

JHyre

Economics

Post by JHyre » Fri May 29, 2015 7:46 am

First, Donnybrook nailed it.

Second, I would not even consider it without certain income & significant reserves. I took the original post, perhaps incorrectly, to imply that the poster would be living off of teaching English. That's hard to do when single, it does not normally pay very well at all. I cannot imagine supporting a family in that manner. Add that to culture shock, hormones and being away from support network.....and it strikes me as a daunting endeavor.

John Hyre

snobrd4life

Post by snobrd4life » Fri May 29, 2015 2:36 pm

Echoing JH and DB- Speaking from experience about both teaching English and having a wife pregnant away from her comfort zone-

-The hours for teaching English are pretty terrible and the pay is low even by Chilean standards. A young single person could live off it and get by, but forget trying to do it with a family. Also consider that during vacations (July and Jan-Feb) work will dry up and you will not be paid if nobody is in the classroom.

-My Chilean wife and I got pregnant in Mexico and don't think that it was any less complicated because both countries speak Spanish. Every country has it's own culture of medicine and etiquette and needless to say, it took a while to find a OBGYN in Mexico that at least partly made us feel comfortable. One of the docs even told us said she could smoke a few cigarettes and knock back a few cups of wine through the pregnancy...

While Chile is highly regarded for its medicine, your wife's expectations might be different than what is available even at the better private clinics that supposedly have English speaking doctors. Do you really think you will have the same luck with English speaking nurses too?
ese ruido blanco es una alarma en mis oídos
Not in Chile for now, but still lurking.

juan_libertad

Post by juan_libertad » Fri May 29, 2015 7:20 pm

Thanks for all the great feedback everyone! Definitely informative. Will be back if we have more Q's! Hope to join the Chilean expat community one way or another down the road...