how to remove tick from dog?

Forum related to everything not related to our not so human friends, including importing animals, buying animals, pets, veterinarians in Chile, animal rescue causes, and anything else related to animals in Chile.
Forum rules
No advertising of any sort beyond NGO organizations or services.
jamie_m

how to remove tick from dog?

Post by jamie_m » Sun Apr 12, 2015 11:30 am

anyone know how to safely and properly remove a tick from a dog. our dog has what appears to be a very full tick on her back. she is not sick in anyway. does she need a vet or can we do this?

Space Cat

Re: how to remove tick from dog?

Post by Space Cat » Sun Apr 12, 2015 12:20 pm

If you're asking this then better go to a vet.

He can teach you so it will be possible to do it yourself next time.

marti
Location: Another project. Another country. And besides, the wench is dead.,

Post by marti » Sun Apr 12, 2015 12:30 pm

[...
La mitad de eficaz. El doble de caro. El triple de complicado. Un país de cuarto.

Rhodolite

Post by Rhodolite » Sun Apr 12, 2015 12:35 pm

You don't need a vet if your dog is okay. Find a pair of tweezers, grasp the tick as close to the dog's skin as you are able without grabbing the dog's skin, and twist counter-clockwise. (Some say the counterclockwise business is nonsense, but it always works for me.) If the tick pops, it pops, but usually they don't. If you really don't want to remove the tick, just wait. When it is full it will detach itself from the dog and you'll see a weird grape-shaped thing on the floor.
You can drop the tick in alcohol to kill it, or squish it, or ...

seawolf180

Post by seawolf180 » Sun Apr 12, 2015 1:02 pm

Get it real close to the skin. Tweezers can help. Twisting isnt really necessary, and could actually cause the head to come off. That is the only concern. You can see the little fucker's face when its out. If the head comes off inside, AND it becomes infected, go to a vet.
No doubt there are images and youtube videos available to check out for reference.
Don't Tread On Me Either.
crtv.com
conservativereview.com
Question Authority!

Gloria

Post by Gloria » Sun Apr 12, 2015 1:58 pm

seawolf180 wrote: You can see the little fucker's face when its out.
:lol: :lol: and take a selfie while at it! Don't forget to put it in Facebook ! :lol:
I'm from the generation of common sense, wisdom and unfiltered answers. I sayeth as I seeth.

Gloria

Post by Gloria » Sun Apr 12, 2015 2:07 pm

marti wrote:
jamie_m wrote:anyone know how to safely and properly remove a tick from a dog. our dog has what appears to be a very full tick on her back. she is not sick in anyway. does she need a vet or can we do this?
Fiprokill. Available from vets or better pet shops. Or at least it used to be until Greenpeace got in the way. Use only as directed.

Looks like it's available at Easy.

FIPROKILL SPRAY es efectivo en el control y prevención de la infestación por pulgas y garrapatas en perros y gatos desde los 2 días de edad.
No sirve para extraer garrapatas.
I'm from the generation of common sense, wisdom and unfiltered answers. I sayeth as I seeth.

susiedillon

Post by susiedillon » Sun Apr 12, 2015 2:44 pm

Sent you an email, Jamie!

GringoVikingo

Post by GringoVikingo » Sun Apr 12, 2015 4:13 pm

Cover the garapatas with vaseline, it will then go out by it self due to lack of oxygen.
Not only do I not know what's going on, I wouldn't know what to do about it if I did.
"George Carlin"

Gloria

Post by Gloria » Sun Apr 12, 2015 4:27 pm

Baby oil does the same as above.

jamie_m

Post by jamie_m » Mon Apr 13, 2015 6:09 am

thank you for your responses. Charlotte the dog is fine. we pulled the tick out with tweezers, couldn't see it's face, doesn't mean it didn't have one though, just means our eyesight is crap. she has a big lump in the spot so possibly a face or infection, so a visit to the vet today. she was 7 yesterday and never had a tick in her life. thanks again.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Mon Apr 13, 2015 9:23 am

Space Cat wrote:If you're asking this then better go to a vet.

He can teach you so it will be possible to do it yourself next time.
My family would have went bankrupt if we went to a vet to remove ticks from our German Sheppard and other dogs in MN. Sometimes their tick weight was more than their body weight.

Yea, ideally you get the head too, using a pair of tweezers, but I can not recall any of my dogs ever even having a mild infection from an embedded head left in the dog. Sometimes it is simply not possible to get the head, especially if you have a wiggling animal, and the tick is dug in. Perhaps it creates a slight irritation at that point for a while, but the head is not that deep in the skin. No deeper than any regular scratch.

I can not recall any of my dogs in Chile ever having a tick. I have seen them around from time to time. It has been years since my dogs have even had a flee. Think has more to do with where we live.

Just be grateful you don't have porcupine quills to pull. I really don't miss the bi-annual tradition of pulling quills with a pliers from the business end of a hundred pound plus snarling dog.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.