Chile 2010 Earthquake anniversary (2015)

Everything to do with the earthquake in Chile 2010 including contacting relatives, latest news from regions and cities, search for assistance, how to help Chile, and anything else related to the disaster and recovery.
Forum rules
The Chile Forum policy against new users linking is suspended for the Chile Earthquake Forum during this crisis. BE WARNED: SPAMMERS AND SCAMMERS WILL STILL BE SLAPPED DOWN HARD!! Legit links to information and resources however is fully welcome.
marti
Location: Another project. Another country. And besides, the wench is dead.,

Re: Chile 2010 Earthquake anniversary (2015)

Post by marti » Thu Mar 05, 2015 9:03 pm

La mitad de eficaz. El doble de caro. El triple de complicado. Un país de cuarto.

El Lechero

Post by El Lechero » Fri Mar 06, 2015 7:30 am

For all those that generally think this is gringos having a go at Chile wake the hell up. Its Chileans themselves that are starting to say " hold on this isnt right" just look whats going on everywhere accross the country. Luksics mine up north, fishermen in chiloe, look at the articles marti posted, it is chileans themselves saying this is bullshit lets stop it, we need a better way. I dont hear the residents of choapa valley saying "well our water is f@#ked by the mineria, but you know what in south east asia its a lot worse so lets just be thankful shall we?"

El Lechero

Post by El Lechero » Fri Mar 06, 2015 7:39 am

SCL wrote:The question that floats to the surface from all this crap (which I admit it is true, with the footnote that the government eventually goes after most of them) is whether this is an expression of the most aggressive aspects of an economic culture imposed by you know who.

The freedom that many investors demand in little Chili for their economic activities (and goals) is not acceptable in most civilized countries. So, is it a "cultural' problem, or, is it a problem that stems from a particular school of economics?

I have read some of the material produced by some of the think tanks in Chile and you have to say: "Whoa... wait a minute, where are you going?"

Buchi, for instance, an idol of the economic right, has preached for more freedom for economic projects over and over again. An economic system essentially with no limits, as the market would punish those who do harm.

For the last 40/50 years you have had a country with terribly weak and almost blind press. TV= Essentially no news of any quality shown on TV (In my last visit to SCL I said to friends that if you want disconnect from the world and its tragedies, this is the place to live).

So, how do we inform/educate the masses?

Farandula is the name of the game.

Farandula today,
farandula tomorrow,
farandula always.
i dont think the masses need educating they will eventually figure it out for themselves, and are starting too. The only problem with your theory was there never was any "free market" to start with here it was all nepotism and collussion, so to suggest the neo lib system is responsible is only half true as it is the chilean culture that has allowed this model to morph into what we see today.

john

Post by john » Fri Mar 06, 2015 8:31 am

Donnybrook wrote:I only had one chance to watch a bit of television in the USA recently. Forget the programs, what about the ads? Handsome silver haired couple walk hand in hand through a park as a voice over tells you that you can cure what ails you taking XXX medicine. The couple certainly look healthy. Then they do the transparency bit where they have to tell you about possible side effects. Wow. These range from memory loss to changes in personality through bleeding from one or all orifices. I watched a film and there were about 4 different ads of this type. At the end they say. "Ask your doctor about XXX.". I really prefer not to get my medical advice from a commercial and I also prefer my Doctor to tell me what to take, rather than the other way around.

We all live in glass houses.
In other words, "don't take this medicine if you are still breathing." :)
One must care about a world one will not see.
--- Bertrand Russell

marti

Post by marti » Fri Mar 06, 2015 9:32 am

La mitad de eficaz. El doble de caro. El triple de complicado. Un país de cuarto.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Fri Mar 06, 2015 10:24 am

You mean the National Geographic, discovery, and other fine American "science and learning channels" with such super hits as "ghost hunters", "alien ancestors", "rednecks are catching crocodiles", "rednecks catching catfish", "rednecks catching rednecks", and .......

At least the rednecks are mildly entertaining in the same way I use to watch Marlin Perkins Wild Kingdom as a kid.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

john

Post by john » Fri Mar 06, 2015 10:38 am

marti wrote: But nepotism and collusion are part of the "free market" results.
By Jove, you've got it! :)
--- Bertrand Russell

marti

Post by marti » Fri Mar 06, 2015 10:55 am

marti

Post by marti » Fri Mar 06, 2015 10:57 am

john

Post by john » Fri Mar 06, 2015 11:58 am

marti wrote:
john wrote:
You still have much to learn, Grasshopper. Observe also the following

marti wrote: Not that the state TV agency, TVN, is providing any real quality national content programming
Too late, the cat's out of the bag. :P
--- Bertrand Russell

marti

Post by marti » Fri Mar 06, 2015 12:56 pm

[q1001

john

Post by john » Fri Mar 06, 2015 9:07 pm

marti wrote:
john wrote:
marti wrote:
john wrote:
You still have much to learn, Grasshopper. Observe also the following

marti wrote: Not that the state TV agency, TVN, is providing any real quality national content programming
Too late, the cat's out of the bag. :P
But is it not your mantra that whatever the State does is Inherently Wondrous, while that which the market determines is an unspeakable horror to be roundly condemned and smitten?
No it isn't. :)
--- Bertrand Russell