Chile 2010 Earthquake anniversary (2015)

Everything to do with the earthquake in Chile 2010 including contacting relatives, latest news from regions and cities, search for assistance, how to help Chile, and anything else related to the disaster and recovery.
Forum rules
The Chile Forum policy against new users linking is suspended for the Chile Earthquake Forum during this crisis. BE WARNED: SPAMMERS AND SCAMMERS WILL STILL BE SLAPPED DOWN HARD!! Legit links to information and resources however is fully welcome.
SCL

Re: Chile 2010 Earthquake anniversary (2015)

Post by SCL » Thu Mar 05, 2015 12:44 pm

What can I say?

marti
Location: Another project. Another country. And besides, the wench is dead.,

Post by marti » Thu Mar 05, 2015 1:25 pm

La mitad de eficaz. El doble de caro. El triple de complicado. Un país de cuarto.

SCL

Post by SCL » Thu Mar 05, 2015 2:45 pm

Vivenzo Marti?

HybridAmbassador

Post by HybridAmbassador » Thu Mar 05, 2015 5:04 pm

marti has become the supreme epitome of viveza criollo, oh madre chile, has creado un fenomeno !

Pero a la ves marti sabe muchas cosas que otros forasteros gringos no saben..
HybridAmbassador. Toyota Hybrid system for helping climate change.

john

Post by john » Thu Mar 05, 2015 5:22 pm

marti wrote:
This is perhaps an inadvertent example of the self-limiting nature that discourages quality in media here. The fact of the matter is that those with even moderate means have the opportunity, if not the will, to experience the full range of news and other events throughout the world. One must not think of (bad) television as the sole means for such connectivity, even though this may be the low-effort choice. There are the means in Chile to maintain exceptional contact with the rest of the world. The issue is one of whether you want to make the effort to do so.
This is a generic template that could be applied to many countries, including the USA. :wink:
One must care about a world one will not see.
--- Bertrand Russell

Space Cat

Post by Space Cat » Thu Mar 05, 2015 5:58 pm

Excuse me for asking this question again but could somebody point to a country with good TV?

It's funny how forum members constantly blame Chileans for things that are present in any other country on the same level (or even worse).

SCL

Post by SCL » Thu Mar 05, 2015 6:17 pm

[It's funny how forum members constantly blame Chileans for things that are present in any other country on the same level (or even worse).]

Have you asked yourself why?

I remember the foreign students (good % of them) in grad school in the US reacting the same way to American customs and "things". And all of them experts in the American way of life, values, politics, tastes, etc.

However, when they left the US, it was a different story.

Part of the problem you allude to is simply a case of immigrant PTSD; no big deal, except in some specific cases that require immediate removal or intensive local treatment.

Space Cat

Post by Space Cat » Thu Mar 05, 2015 6:43 pm

That's a quite long PTSD then.
Chile is fine, there's no perfect country / government / culture. And Chile is doing great compared to most others resource-based nations.

SCL

Post by SCL » Thu Mar 05, 2015 7:00 pm

Oh, I agree with you, but the question is why the derogatory and dismissive comments.

It makes me think of the English and India. Ironically. you find immigrants in Chile (and obviously in other countries as well) who will jump at you if you make any negative comments about the country or the people.

Donnybrook

Post by Donnybrook » Thu Mar 05, 2015 7:49 pm

I only had one chance to watch a bit of television in the USA recently. Forget the programs, what about the ads? Handsome silver haired couple walk hand in hand through a park as a voice over tells you that you can cure what ails you taking XXX medicine. The couple certainly look healthy. Then they do the transparency bit where they have to tell you about possible side effects. Wow. These range from memory loss to changes in personality through bleeding from one or all orifices. I watched a film and there were about 4 different ads of this type. At the end they say. "Ask your doctor about XXX.". I really prefer not to get my medical advice from a commercial and I also prefer my Doctor to tell me what to take, rather than the other way around.

We all live in glass houses.

marti
Location: Another project. Another country. And besides, the wench is dead.,

Post by marti » Thu Mar 05, 2015 8:32 pm

La mitad de eficaz. El doble de caro. El triple de complicado. Un país de cuarto.

David_Bro

Post by David_Bro » Thu Mar 05, 2015 8:52 pm

Back in the day-----Cuarta Region----There were only ever a possible 4 stations----TV was not on in the morning and did not start until around 1:30pm or and was off by 3pm----One station would run their one show and that was it. In the evening TV would start up around 5:30 or 6 and run until maybe midnight but then, say Channel 13, La Catolica, would have an hour gap or 1/2 hour gap in between programing----As a public service, there would be a warning on TV to children to get ready for bed around 8:15 and then at 8:30, a cartoon would come on with a song "A tutti" getting the kids to bed and featured a rainbow of colors showing a little kid in bed with images of sweet dreams above in a bubble----and then after, mature programming would start with the farandula type shows. If you turned the TV and the channel was off, it would be just a test color sheet and no sound---sometimes it would be a landscape view of a typical Chilean vista of desert, fishing boats, a river and forest or a lake with a volcano---along with it they would play classical or folkloric music in the background-----I am talking about Regiones and I remember Santiago having more programing

What got everyone's attention was if there was a National event and it the image would go to the flag flying over the Moneda with the Chilean National Anthem going before an announcer would come on with information on a toque de queda, earthquake or whatever----At the end of programming each night, the Chilean National Escudo would come up with the national anthem and it would go to the color bar until the next day-----SO you had maybe 6 to 7 shows if not only 3 or 4 per station with only 4 or 5 stations and each had two news reports and maybe a 'talk of the day news show' so really only 3 shows would entertainment, a telenovela and maybe a farandula show, a comedy show or a translated Kojak, Streets of San Francisco or maybe a nature show----I think there was a TV movie once a week too but that was it

The commercials were always more entertaining than the actual TV shows----the Oxford Bike commercials, the Cecinas Winter, Nugget ShoeShine, Pollini Shoes, the Malta Morena, Cristal etc.....

I always stay away from the TeleNovelas because they get you in and you are hooked----one episode and I am done till it ends----

####